Default Drillscrew or drill screw for thick metal

I am looking for ways to attach components to the floor of a truck.
The floor could be as much as 1/4" thick plate with 1/2 inch or so
thick mat and sound deadening material. I want to be able to use
something like a drill screw or a threaded insert for two reasons. One
is that I want the person to be able to work alone and the other is
that many times it will be difficult to impossible for someone to get
access to the other side of the floor area. I would like the head of
the fastener have a positive grip such as a torx, hex head or square
drive.

Any ideas?

njl6770

One of the problems with drill screws is that the drill portion needs to
be drilling at a lower axial feed rate than the threads of the screw
require. Can cause them to bind up and you twist them off or it strips
the threads off.
If that wasn't too clear, think of it this way. The thread of these
fasteners is usually a fine thread, like 10-32, so for each rotation of
the screw, once the threads are engaged, it will advance 1/32 inch. That
a pretty healthy feed rate for a .150 dia drill (I think that's how big
the drill was on the screws I have is.).
If you can get the point of the drill portion through the metal, before
the starter threads engage, you have a better chance.
I have had luck by pilot drilling, but this wasn't real easy either.
Make sure to use oil on the threads, and keep the vise grips close.

wrote:

I am looking for ways to attach components to the floor of a truck.
The floor could be as much as 1/4" thick plate with 1/2 inch or so
thick mat and sound deadening material. I want to be able to use
something like a drill screw or a threaded insert for two reasons. One
is that I want the person to be able to work alone and the other is
that many times it will be difficult to impossible for someone to get
access to the other side of the floor area. I would like the head of
the fastener have a positive grip such as a torx, hex head or square
drive.

Any ideas?

#! rnews 942
Newsgroups: news.admin.net-abuse.email
From: "R. Scott"
Subject: h0using.com mortgage spam flood.
Sender:
(Boeing NNTP News Access)
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 19:58:09 GMT

All are apparently coming from Kornet. Spamcop is having trouble
parsing the site names, so I'm not sure where the crap is being hosted
at.

Im getting them too, Its NOC.NET, otherwise known as Ostrich with head
in the sand net.

--
Rick
Everett, Washington
rustyjames

Ted Edwards wrote:
wrote:
I am looking for ways to attach components to the floor of a truck.

Riv-nuts, Truck-serts and I'm sure other brand names. Drill correct
size hole, insert and set like a pop-rivet with a special tool then

use
a machine screw. See
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...es/thrdsrt.txt
for an example.

Ted

there's self drillers/tapers that will attach to 1/4" mild steel, no
problem.
http://www.haydonbolts.com/ should have something that will work. g/l

Jim

Buy self drilling/tapping screws. They come in lots of sizes & heads,
although the kind I get most often have a hex head. They have a drill
bit tip & a screw gun will drill right in & then they self tap.

Douglas Adams

www.spaenaur.com

You can get broad flat (wafer?) head & sealer washer self tapping screws
that have torx/hex/robertson drive. We've used them successfully in similar
apps. Thinner ones drill easier but snap off if you are over zealous.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking for ways to attach components to the floor of a truck.
The floor could be as much as 1/4" thick plate with 1/2 inch or so
thick mat and sound deadening material. I want to be able to use
something like a drill screw or a threaded insert for two reasons. One
is that I want the person to be able to work alone and the other is
that many times it will be difficult to impossible for someone to get
access to the other side of the floor area. I would like the head of
the fastener have a positive grip such as a torx, hex head or square
drive.

Any ideas?

Having the floor insulating material wrap around the fastener is a
problem I was concerned with, so a punch should be in my toolbox. A
lot of potentials in the posts here. Thanks for the response. I will
check into the suggested sources.

Gary Brady wrote:

If the sound deadening material or mat is made of fibrous material,

like
carpet, you may have a problem with the drill screw winding up the
fibers or yarn. This occurs when you try to drill through carpet.

You
may have to cut the sound deadening material with a round punch

before
drilling.

Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Building a Mag Drill Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 5 January 6th 05 04:10 AM
Drill Press Accuracy Questions Chris Metalworking 12 July 17th 04 06:35 AM
Is Drill Doctor worth the price???? Harry Conover Metalworking 33 April 6th 04 02:41 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Drywall screws for metal studs prone to strip, please help. andy everett Home Repair 2 August 23rd 03 07:10 PM