DanG

Gary,
It seems like these materials usually have nylon or plastic in
them. I prefer to use a propane torch and a scratch awl to melt a
non-raveling screw hole into the material.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Gary Brady" wrote in message
k.net...
wrote:
I am looking for ways to attach components to the floor of a
truck.
The floor could be as much as 1/4" thick plate with 1/2 inch or
so
thick mat and sound deadening material. I want to be able to
use
something like a drill screw or a threaded insert for two
reasons. One
is that I want the person to be able to work alone and the
other is
that many times it will be difficult to impossible for someone
to get
access to the other side of the floor area. I would like the
head of
the fastener have a positive grip such as a torx, hex head or
square
drive.

Any ideas?

If the sound deadening material or mat is made of fibrous
material, like carpet, you may have a problem with the drill
screw winding up the fibers or yarn. This occurs when you try
to drill through carpet. You may have to cut the sound
deadening material with a round punch before drilling.

Gary Brady
Austin, TX