Default STARTING A MACHINE SHOP

HELLO OUT THERE IN DIGITAL LAND. IM A MACHINIST/TOOL AND DIE MAKER OF
10 YEARS AND HAVE DECIDED TO START MY OWN SHOP IN THE AKRON OHIO AREA.
EVEN THOUGH THE ECONOMY ISNT AT ITS BEST AND A LOT IF NOT MOST
MANUFACTURING IS GOING TO CHINA,MEXICO AND THE LIKE. SOMTHING INSIDE ME
HAS DRIVEN ME TO START A SHOP. I'VE DONE MY HOMEWORK AND KNOW THAT I'M
IN FOR AN UP HILL STRUGGLE STARTING OUT WITH CONVENTIONAL MACHINES,
12X36 LATHE AND 9X49 MILL. I'VE TALKED AND SENT LINE CARDS OUT TO ABOUT
30 OR 40 PROSPECTS, STARTED CALLING LOCAL MACHINE SHOPS TO SEE IF THEY
HAVE ANY EXTRA WORK TO SUB OUT ALL IN 6 WEEKS TIME. ALTHOUGH I'VE BID
ON FIVE JOBS FROM THE PROSPECTS I HAVE NOT GOT ANY WORK. IF THEIR IS
SOMONE OUT THERE WHO COULD GIVE ME SOME ADVICE I WOULD BE GREATFULL.
LIKE; HOW LONG OF A TIME COULD IT TAKE BEFORE SOME P.O.'S START FLOWING
OUT OF THE FAX MACHINE? WHAT DO THE OTHER SHOPS DO AS FAR AS
MARKETING, FINDING NEW SALES PROSPECTS ECT. DO THE OTHER SHOPS LOOK FOR
SALES OUT OF STATE? HOW DO YOU FIND WORK? REALY ON LONG ESTABLISHED
CUSTOMERS?

MikeMandaville

Hello, Mister A!

The others are correct about your use of capital letters. To those of
us who are experienced internet users, it is understood that when a
person uses capital letters, he is shouting.

You have also not given us a name to respond to. When you do not give
us a name, it is natural for us to wonder why. Those of us who are
legitimate business people usually display our names proudly. Why
would you rather not do so?

How about giving us some decent machine tools? My machine tools were
made in China. I would have happily bought American tools, if they had
been available. Give us an American equivalent of the imported 7x10
lathe, at a competitive price, and we will certainly buy it.

Mike Mandaville
in my twenty-first year of business

Mike Mandaville

I'm sorry about the caps lock key. My name is Steve Johnson. Able
Precision Machine is the name of the company I'm forming. Did not think
the name of my company was really relevant to the questions I was
asking in the forum.

The machine tools that I own are decent and in the hands of a skilled
machinist such as myself very accurate. Although I don't currently
have the means to purchase CNC I'm starting the only way I can and plan
on owning several cnc's in the next several years.

Did you have any helpful insight for me? Are you a machine shop owner?
How do you go about finding new business? Do you wait for the costumer
to come to you? Do you make calls and prospect around?

Steve Johnson
In my first year of business

MikeMandaville

Mike Mandaville

I'm sorry about the caps lock key. My name is Steve Johnson. Able
Precision Machine is the name of the company I'm forming. Did not

think
the name of my company was really relevant to the questions I was
asking in the forum.

Hello, Steve.

And thank you for your polite response. I was referring to your
personal name, Steve Johnson, and not to your company name, Able
Precision Machine.

The machine tools that I own are decent and in the hands of a skilled
machinist such as myself very accurate. Although I don't currently
have the means to purchase CNC I'm starting the only way I can and

plan
on owning several cnc's in the next several years.

Did you have any helpful insight for me? Are you a machine shop

owner?
How do you go about finding new business? Do you wait for the

costumer
to come to you? Do you make calls and prospect around?

I was hoping that my suggestion of providing us with some decent
machine tools would provide you with some insight. Something else I
would like to see is a line of American-made diesel engines which are
designed for model airplanes. Right now such a product does not exist,
and so American model airplane enthusiasts must purchase from overseas
suppliers if they want a diesel engine.

If you don't make the machine tools or the diesels I will do so myself
anyway, so do whatever you want.

Steve Johnson
In my first year of business

Mike Mandaville
willing to give Americans a choice

Bar_turned_Components_mfg

I am in India... one day I will sell in the US & maybe come face to
face with you.

Earlier now, I was about to try and intrude/hijack your topic. But it
seemed unjustifying so... I try to advise. though I belive I am not
capable enough.

I have come to believe that people who take tough steps in tough times
actualy can enjoy the best fortunes during good times. And DEAR FRIEND,
I see a part of myself in you. You will really make good money.

1. Have you gone to this site http://www.thomasnet.com it should
help.
2. Keeping the ears open has always helped, try to send SAMPLES(not
photos) to the right persons. People like to talk about the things that
they can touch/feel & throwing samples is not that easy. It has helped
me.
3. Eat a little bit of the head of the person who can help you. My
father said: "The needy has no (should not have) brains"(translated)
4. Urge/Search for that Nationalistic love at the depth of the other
persons heart. But remember no one likes to buy costlier.

That should be enough for now... Tell me, if any of it is helpful.

Kamal

CAPS is OK once a while as "The needy has no brains"