Karl Townsend

Default SHIZUOKA mills with ATC any good?

We're starting to scout around for another CNC mill. I plan on adding a new
retrofit control to an older machine in good mechanical condition. It would
be GREAT if we could find a machine that uses our existing tooling, NMTB40
and BT45. (You can spend more on tool holders than on the machine)

Anway, I didn't know they made ATCs for NMTB40 until I spotted this:

Anyone have experience with this machine? I've not heard of it. In
particular, does the ATC work well? Have I been sleeping under a rock, are
ATCs for NMTB40 readily available?

P.S. Anybody want to buy a Bandit?

Karl

grifftek

Karl

Im not sure which machine this is but I suspect this is a knee mill
witht he chain type tool changer.

A friend of mine has one with the ahha retrofit on it and it works
perfectly. Thy are nice rigid machines for a knee mill.

I have a pretty sizeable pile of nmtb tooling that is all new in the
box if your interested. its all kennametal. let me knwo and I will dig
it out and figure out what I have.

I may also have a camsoft cnc lite package new in the box with the
breakout for sale in the near future if you are in nee of another one.

regards

bill griffin

Jon

Boy howdy that brings back some memories. I had a shizouka ANS mill with
bandit control and the tool thrower, I mean tool changer. It works pretty
well considering. One thing, it has a claw that opens and closes around the
flange. So your tooling flanges must all be the same size or you have
problems. Also, they tend to need a 45 degree chamfer on each edge of the
flange, about 1/8" The arm takes the tool out of the spindle, then flips it
over and stands it on the threaded end of the holder in a little cup.
The throwing part comes if you have a long or heavy tool, when that arm
swings from spindle to tool storage, while rotating it 180 degrees, it can
toss it at you. DO NOT expect it to change a 3" boring head or tapping
head. Also, you are held to 4-6 inches of quill travel only. The machines
are pretty beefy really, I used mine pretty heavy considering.
Jon

Karl Townsend wrote:
We're starting to scout around for another CNC mill. I plan on adding
a new retrofit control to an older machine in good mechanical
condition. It would be GREAT if we could find a machine that uses our
existing tooling,
NMTB40 and BT45. (You can spend more on tool holders than on the machine)

Anway, I didn't know they made ATCs for NMTB40 until I spotted this:

Anyone have experience with this machine? I've not heard of it. In
particular, does the ATC work well? Have I been sleeping under a
rock, are ATCs for NMTB40 readily available?

P.S. Anybody want to buy a Bandit?

Karl

Gunner

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 23:27:47 GMT, "Karl Townsend"
remove .NOT to reply wrote:

We're starting to scout around for another CNC mill. I plan on adding a new
retrofit control to an older machine in good mechanical condition. It would
be GREAT if we could find a machine that uses our existing tooling, NMTB40
and BT45. (You can spend more on tool holders than on the machine)

Anway, I didn't know they made ATCs for NMTB40 until I spotted this:

Anyone have experience with this machine? I've not heard of it. In
particular, does the ATC work well? Have I been sleeping under a rock, are
ATCs for NMTB40 readily available?

P.S. Anybody want to buy a Bandit?

Karl

I have a Fadal VMC4020 and a VMC 20 for sale. $16k for the pair.
Comes with a cabinet full of tooling. Both very nice machines, may be
inspected under power. The 4020 also has a 4th axis. Machines are
mid 1985 models, meticulosly maintained and in perfect running order.

Located in Bakersfield, California.

We can ship.

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli
Garlicdude

Karl Townsend wrote:

We're starting to scout around for another CNC mill. I plan on adding a new
retrofit control to an older machine in good mechanical condition. It would
be GREAT if we could find a machine that uses our existing tooling, NMTB40
and BT45. (You can spend more on tool holders than on the machine)

Anway, I didn't know they made ATCs for NMTB40 until I spotted this:

Anyone have experience with this machine? I've not heard of it. In
particular, does the ATC work well? Have I been sleeping under a rock, are
ATCs for NMTB40 readily available?

P.S. Anybody want to buy a Bandit?

Karl

Karl, The Shizuoka mill is an excellant piece of iron! I've had one for
25 years and it performs well for the things I ask it to do. The rapids
are slow as is the spindle RPM by todays standards, but the rigidity and
fit and finish of the machine is very good. This mill was very popular
on the West Coast in the early 80s-90s. Bandit was the primary control
and the machines were retrofitted mainly by Hasbach and SK Systems.

Mine doesn't have a toolchanger so I can't speak to its reliability
etc., but I beleive that the early toolchangers used on these were
manufactured by the Fadal bros. before they stated making full blown
machines.

If the iron is in good shape I would consider a Shizuoka an excellant
candidate for an up dated control.

Steve

--
Regards,
Steve Saling

Gunner

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 05:21:10 -0700, Garlicdude
wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

[...]

There is a Shizouka for sale in Santa Ana California. Very nice and I
think $5- $10k...

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli
Karl Townsend

Karl, The Shizuoka mill is an excellant piece of iron! I've had one for
25 years and it performs well for the things I ask it to do. The rapids
are slow as is the spindle RPM by todays standards, but the rigidity and
fit and finish of the machine is very good. This mill was very popular
on the West Coast in the early 80s-90s. Bandit was the primary control
and the machines were retrofitted mainly by Hasbach and SK Systems.

If the iron is in good shape I would consider a Shizuoka an excellant
candidate for an up dated control.

Thanks, everybody, for the input. As this is just the size machine we want,
I'm on the lookout for one of these. I've got a year before I need it, so
I'll just watch for that possible killer deal for now. (I've got to put a
control on a CHNC first)

Karl

Douglas Adams

Take a good look at Mach2 for your CNC controls.

www.artofcnc.ca

"Karl Townsend" remove .NOT to reply wrote
in message nk.net...
Karl, The Shizuoka mill is an excellant piece of iron! I've had one for
25 years and it performs well for the things I ask it to do. The rapids
are slow as is the spindle RPM by todays standards, but the rigidity and
fit and finish of the machine is very good. This mill was very popular
on the West Coast in the early 80s-90s. Bandit was the primary control
and the machines were retrofitted mainly by Hasbach and SK Systems.

If the iron is in good shape I would consider a Shizuoka an excellant
candidate for an up dated control.

Thanks, everybody, for the input. As this is just the size machine we

want,
I'm on the lookout for one of these. I've got a year before I need it, so
I'll just watch for that possible killer deal for now. (I've got to put a
control on a CHNC first)

Karl

Karl Townsend

"Douglas Adams" wrote in message
Take a good look at Mach2 for your CNC controls.

This is a good choice for a hobby machine with little to no I/O. Art F. has
the best support I've seen on any product. But, if you got real servos (not
step drivers to baby units), tool turrets, tool changers, control panels, or
anything else like on an industrial machine; Mach2 won't get it.

I like Camsoft, I'm sure there are other good controls. The learning curve
on doing a retrofit is a steep one. The job gets much easier after two or
three.

Karl

PrecisionMachinisT

"john smith" wrote in message

N0 !

Common as dirt on the used market should be the first hint, no ???

===

Ayup.......

Karl,

Suggest buy as many of these as you can possibly find--they will make you
richer than you could ever dream possible, even in your wildest dreams...

--

SVL

Gary H. Lucas

"Jon" wrote in message
[...]

I had one of those ANS mills too, with the same tool changer. A little
interesting trivia. The tool changer you are talking about was called a
"Quick Draw". I think that is because it kind of looks a gun slinger
flipping out his gun from a holster when it operates. The interesting part
though is who designed and built those tool changers. It was the first
product from the guys who eventually became FADAL!

Gary H. Lucas