distracted

Default RF-45 Mill - Good Deal?

I found what I believe to be a true RF-45 mill (9.5x32 table) with
cast iron bench; CA$3,000 (Approx.=US$2450) with tooling (8 collets,
drill chuck, 8 parallels, 5" swivel vice, small facing head, some end
mills, clamping kit. Table travel is unusual 11.5"x18.5" It is quite
noisy at higher speeds. I am considering this for my basement.

The price seems on the high side, but I would like to hear the
opinions of others... Is this a good deal or not?

Eric
Peter Grey

I went through the process of getting a mill about a year ago. I started
with an RF30, then sold it and bought a Gorton 8D. During that process I
kept my eye on the RF45 market, since I was considering getting one. I
should say that I'm immensely glad I didn't.

I think $2450 is extremely high for an RF45 even with the stuff that's
coming with it. Without knowing what type of shape the mill and tooling is
in or what flavor of RF45 you're looking at, it's hard to say what it's
worth. Keep in mind you can buy a new RF45-ish machine from HF for under
$1K, and I've seen them for less on sale.

I'm thinking that setup is worth $600 to $700. That's what I've seen them
go for in or around Northern California.

Peter

"distracted" wrote in message
om...
I found what I believe to be a true RF-45 mill (9.5x32 table) with
cast iron bench; CA$3,000 (Approx.=US$2450) with tooling (8 collets,
drill chuck, 8 parallels, 5" swivel vice, small facing head, some end
mills, clamping kit. Table travel is unusual 11.5"x18.5" It is quite
noisy at higher speeds. I am considering this for my basement.

The price seems on the high side, but I would like to hear the
opinions of others... Is this a good deal or not?

Eric

xmradio

"Peter Grey" wrote in message
nk.net...
I went through the process of getting a mill about a year ago. I started
with an RF30, then sold it and bought a Gorton 8D. During that process I
kept my eye on the RF45 market, since I was considering getting one. I
should say that I'm immensely glad I didn't.

I think $2450 is extremely high for an RF45 even with the stuff that's
coming with it. Without knowing what type of shape the mill and tooling
is in or what flavor of RF45 you're looking at, it's hard to say what it's
worth. Keep in mind you can buy a new RF45-ish machine from HF for under
$1K, and I've seen them for less on sale.

I'm thinking that setup is worth $600 to $700. That's what I've seen them
go for in or around Northern California.

Peter

Agree about the 600-800 range for a garage mill, might try for a new one.

I got one thats lasted me over 10 years, just occasional use...

xman

Grant Erwin

Eric, you should really post your location. If you lived in BC, for instance,
you might be interested in a really nice little Burke knee mill, R8 spindle,
for sale in NW Washington State for $1600. Who knows how many NG readers near
you don't mention deals like that because you don't post your location? - GWE

distracted wrote:
I found what I believe to be a true RF-45 mill (9.5x32 table) with
cast iron bench; CA$3,000 (Approx.=US$2450) with tooling (8 collets,
drill chuck, 8 parallels, 5" swivel vice, small facing head, some end
mills, clamping kit. Table travel is unusual 11.5"x18.5" It is quite
noisy at higher speeds. I am considering this for my basement.

The price seems on the high side, but I would like to hear the
opinions of others... Is this a good deal or not?

Eric

Gunner

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 02:28:42 GMT, "Peter Grey"
wrote:

I went through the process of getting a mill about a year ago. I started
with an RF30, then sold it and bought a Gorton 8D. During that process I
kept my eye on the RF45 market, since I was considering getting one. I
should say that I'm immensely glad I didn't.

I think $2450 is extremely high for an RF45 even with the stuff that's
coming with it. Without knowing what type of shape the mill and tooling is
in or what flavor of RF45 you're looking at, it's hard to say what it's
worth. Keep in mind you can buy a new RF45-ish machine from HF for under
$1K, and I've seen them for less on sale.

I'm thinking that setup is worth $600 to $700. That's what I've seen them
go for in or around Northern California.

Peter

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Gunner

"distracted" wrote in message
. com...
I found what I believe to be a true RF-45 mill (9.5x32 table) with
cast iron bench; CA$3,000 (Approx.=US$2450) with tooling (8 collets,
drill chuck, 8 parallels, 5" swivel vice, small facing head, some end
mills, clamping kit. Table travel is unusual 11.5"x18.5" It is quite
noisy at higher speeds. I am considering this for my basement.

The price seems on the high side, but I would like to hear the
opinions of others... Is this a good deal or not?

Eric

Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"
distracted

Grant,

That is a good point! I am in Brampton, Ontario (Toronto). Welcome
any other comments.

I have been looking at the new mills as well. But it seems a number
of people have indicated that the Taiwan versions were/are much better
than the Chinese. This machine is a Taiwan machine, about 5 years
old.

Eric

distracted wrote:
I found what I believe to be a true RF-45 mill (9.5x32 table) with
cast iron bench; CA$3,000 (Approx.=US$2450) with tooling (8 collets,
drill chuck, 8 parallels, 5" swivel vice, small facing head, some end
mills, clamping kit. Table travel is unusual 11.5"x18.5" It is quite
noisy at higher speeds. I am considering this for my basement.

The price seems on the high side, but I would like to hear the
opinions of others... Is this a good deal or not?

Eric

distracted

One other comment about this mill. It is not a standard RF-45... The
base frame is about twice as thick as the RF-45 clones. Also, the
column is 10"x10"; I believe that the RF-45 clones are 8"x8" square
column.

distracted wrote:
I found what I believe to be a true RF-45 mill (9.5x32 table) with
cast iron bench; CA$3,000 (Approx.=US$2450) with tooling (8 collets,
drill chuck, 8 parallels, 5" swivel vice, small facing head, some end
mills, clamping kit. Table travel is unusual 11.5"x18.5" It is quite
noisy at higher speeds. I am considering this for my basement.

The price seems on the high side, but I would like to hear the
opinions of others... Is this a good deal or not?

Eric

distracted

I am not adverse to horiz. mill & in fact would prefer that, but I
have 3 concerns:

1) I have to take this down stairs... The only Horiz.'s I have
seen suitable for going to a basement are clausing and rockwell mills.
This limits the choices. And, I have not seen any around here for
sale.
2) I am concerned that buying a clausing or rockwell with a
conversion head would limit my work envelope. I would like an X-Y
travel in the range of 10"x24" + 20"table to spindle + 8" x min.32"L
(prefer 36") table.
3) Also if I go for a small horiz. mill with bridgeport head, I
have heard that these are difficult to keep true i.e. the head tends
to turn under heavy cuts.

I already know where there are 5 very nice 1Hp, 3ph, R8, 5" travel,
belt drive, swivel bridgeport type heads. Square flange arrangement.
They are heavier than a lot of bridgeport heads. Excellent condition;
they have had them a while and I expect would be flexible on price.

Burke Millrite - I have considered this though, but one with a larger
table. Issue is that I have not seen one around here at all. Most
knee mills are Bridgeport, Xcello, or First. These are all on the
larger size.

I am in Toronto, anyone know of a good mill available locally?

Eric

Gunner wrote in message . ..
On 13 Apr 2005 17:05:04 -0700, (distracted)
wrote:

I found what I believe to be a true RF-45 mill (9.5x32 table) with
cast iron bench; CA$3,000 (Approx.=US$2450) with tooling (8 collets,
drill chuck, 8 parallels, 5" swivel vice, small facing head, some end
mills, clamping kit. Table travel is unusual 11.5"x18.5" It is quite
noisy at higher speeds. I am considering this for my basement.

The price seems on the high side, but I would like to hear the
opinions of others... Is this a good deal or not?

Eric

For that kind of money, you should be able to buy a real mill such as
a Bridgeport, Tree, etc. But..shrug..it depends on where you live.

Here in So. Cal, a "user" BP can go between $1500-3000 USD, depending
on chrome ways, DRO etc.

Also, it depends on how much room you have to put a mill in. Im
rather found of the Burke Millrite if you have limited space.

Also, dont overlook horizontal mills if vertical ones are scarce. You
can do very good work with a horizontal mill.

Gunner
Rule #35
"That which does not kill you,
has made a huge tactical error"

KevinK

Did someone say "Burke knee mill" and "NW Washington State"? I live in
SeaTac, And have been looking for one of those. You wouldn't possibly
still have it, would you?

Gunner

On 26 Apr 2005 19:27:24 -0700, "KevinK" wrote:

Did someone say "Burke knee mill" and "NW Washington State"? I live in
SeaTac, And have been looking for one of those. You wouldn't possibly
still have it, would you?

If you had said So. Cal...I would have raised my hand.
Ive got a production version available.
Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli

FS Mill RogerN Metalworking 1 February 26th 05 01:50 AM
Leadscrew design questions for mill retrofit Pete Bergstrom Metalworking 8 August 5th 04 05:10 PM
Good Deal on a Ladder CecilWilliams Home Repair 36 June 20th 04 08:54 PM
Good High Wheel Mower -- Tall Grass ??? James Nipper Home Repair 2 April 23rd 04 02:44 AM
Good place to buy a GOOD saw in Central FL???? (Tampa) Elmar Woodworking 8 December 17th 03 02:49 AM