Beartums

Default Framing 8' door with steel studs

I want to frame out a 9' closet with an 8' opening for interior sliding
doors. I'm quite aware of how to do this for a standard 2.5' interior
doors, but this is a much wider opening with relatively heavy doors. If I
were framing with wood, I'd just use a 2x8 or 2x10 and assume that would be
enough, but with steel studs I'm not so sure what to do. Would a single
stud/section of track be strong enough to serve as a header for the
opening? Or is there some special trick that I don't know that I should
try.

tia.

Steve Manes

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:11:22 GMT, Beartums
wrote:
I want to frame out a 9' closet with an 8' opening for interior sliding
doors. I'm quite aware of how to do this for a standard 2.5' interior
doors, but this is a much wider opening with relatively heavy doors. If I
were framing with wood, I'd just use a 2x8 or 2x10 and assume that would be
enough, but with steel studs I'm not so sure what to do. Would a single
stud/section of track be strong enough to serve as a header for the
opening? Or is there some special trick that I don't know that I should
try.

Standard C-section track has little to no vertical load strength. I
usually cheat and use a steel-framed door but in your case I think you
need to use a heavier gauge track. I don't know the formula for
computing span-to-mil but I believe that steel framing for a
standard-width wood-framed door often involves a heavier gauge, deeper
cross section track, like 27 mil (22 gauge). This is even more
important in your situation as the header will have to carry the
weight of those doors.

Track is available in even-numbered gauges up to #12.

Steve Manes
Brooklyn, NY
http://www.magpie.com/house/bbs
DanG

Are you asking how to make structural headers with metal studs?
There are several methods, here is a fairly simple one.

Take 2 studs and lay them face to face like so [ ]

Take 2 pieces of track, attach one trapping the top of the studs,
the other traps the bottoms.

The wider the studs, the greater the span strength. The wall must
be 3 1/2" or greater to accommodate the studs.

(top posted for your convenience)
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

46...