Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Phreak

Default Steel studs & Electrical

I have a new home with an unfinished basement. A drywaller came and
installed steel studs so that he could put drywall up, as requested, and
then didn't come back. I am looking to finish the basement myself now, and
must say I hate steel studs! Anyway, I was wondering about electrical - how
do you take care of grounding, installing receptacles, etc. with these
things? Do you use a metal box for outlets and switches?

- Bill

David W.

"Phreak" wrote in

I have a new home with an unfinished basement. A drywaller came and
installed steel studs so that he could put drywall up, as requested,
and then didn't come back. I am looking to finish the basement myself
now, and must say I hate steel studs! Anyway, I was wondering about
electrical - how do you take care of grounding, installing
receptacles, etc. with these things? Do you use a metal box for
outlets and switches?

Either metal or plastic boxes will work, what's ok depends on your local
building codes. Check with a local electrical contractor or inspector.
None

You will most likey need to use BX cable instead on Romex for the electical
work. PIA, but sure is safer.

I agree with another respondent-check with your local inspector.

PJ
Southern NJ