Marv Soloff

Default George and Steel Tarifs

FYI:

You have to give Bush credit:

"PITTSBURGH (Reuters) - President Bush picked up $850,000 in campaign
contributions in the heart of America's steel industry on Tuesday even
as he prepared to lift tariffs that have been helping the steelmakers.

Supporters of the tariffs lodged a last-ditch effort to keep the
protections in place. Bush heard arguments from Pennsylvania Republican
Sen. Arlen Specter and U.S. Steel Corp. Chairman Tom Usher, a sponsor of
the campaign fund-raiser which the Bush re-election campaign said had
been planned long before the steel decision became imminent.

Scores of steelworkers demonstrated near the Pittsburgh site of Bush's
event."

In admiration,

Marv

jim rozen

In article , Marv Soloff says...

You have to give Bush credit:

Heck, that's *nothing*. You should see what
rep Tom DeLay tried to push through - a 'get out
of jail free, no lawsuits' rider to the recent
energy bill. It would have immunized companies
like Lyondell Chemical from state lawsuits
involving contaminated drinking water wells.

Of course this involves MTBE, the oxygenate
that reduced pollution by 10 percent and decreases
gas mileage by 12 percent.

No suprise, Lyondell was the biggest single
contributor to DeLay's 2004 campaign. The
best politicans money can buy - purchased
by the Oxygenated Fuels Association, the
folks who lobbied long and hard to get MTBE
added into gas in the first place.

And oddly enough, one of the guys who stood up
to them and filubustered the rider to a halt
was that favorite evil-doer, Chuck Shumer.
Every cloud has an MTBE-free lining.

Jim

please reply to:

Glenn Ashmore

Why would you give someone credit for getting his butt in a crack and
trying to squirm out? Bush wanted votes from the steel states so he
made all the rest of us pay 30% more for our raw material. Now his
chickens are coming home to roost. You want to give him credit for
that? AND NOW he walks away with another million in big steel bribes
for his next campaign. He's got one heavy set of gonads. The problem
is that we are the jock strap.

I give him credit for being good at pandering for votes and having us
pay for them. You might have called Clinton "Slick Willie" but the
Dubwa is down right slimy.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Marv Soloff

And it will last a lot longer than he does. Our children gonna be paying
for it for centuries.

Regards,

Marv

D.B. wrote:
Marv Soloff wrote:

FYI:

You have to give Bush credit:
In admiration,

Marv

No need to -give- him credit, with his deficit spending he
is creating his own credit.

Dick

Gunner

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 21:07:10 -0500, Glenn Ashmore
wrote:

Why would you give someone credit for getting his butt in a crack and
trying to squirm out? Bush wanted votes from the steel states so he
made all the rest of us pay 30% more for our raw material. Now his
chickens are coming home to roost. You want to give him credit for
that? AND NOW he walks away with another million in big steel bribes
for his next campaign. He's got one heavy set of gonads. The problem
is that we are the jock strap.

I give him credit for being good at pandering for votes and having us
pay for them. You might have called Clinton "Slick Willie" but the
Dubwa is down right slimy.

Let me know when he starts getting $10,000 contributions from
impoverished Buddhist nuns, ok?

Gunner

Marv Soloff wrote:

FYI:

You have to give Bush credit:

"PITTSBURGH (Reuters) - President Bush picked up $850,000 in campaign
contributions in the heart of America's steel industry on Tuesday even
as he prepared to lift tariffs that have been helping the steelmakers.

Supporters of the tariffs lodged a last-ditch effort to keep the
protections in place. Bush heard arguments from Pennsylvania Republican
Sen. Arlen Specter and U.S. Steel Corp. Chairman Tom Usher, a sponsor of
the campaign fund-raiser which the Bush re-election campaign said had
been planned long before the steel decision became imminent.

Scores of steelworkers demonstrated near the Pittsburgh site of Bush's
event."

In admiration,

Marv

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus
ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.
Bray Haven

Let me know when he starts getting $10,000 contributions from
impoverished Buddhist nuns, ok?

Gunner

Or selling pardonsg
Greg Sefton
Ed Huntress

"Gunner" wrote in message

Let me know when he starts getting $10,000 contributions from
impoverished Buddhist nuns, ok?

If they were impoverished, where did they get $10,000? Running something on
the side, were they? g

Ed Huntress

Neil Ellwood

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 15:15:38 +0000, Ed Huntress wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message

Let me know when he starts getting $10,000 contributions from
impoverished Buddhist nuns, ok?

If they were impoverished, where did they get $10,000? Running something on
the side, were they? g

Ed Huntress

I don't think it was on the side.......

--
Neil
Cut the spamless for email

Gunner

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 15:15:38 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .

Let me know when he starts getting $10,000 contributions from
impoverished Buddhist nuns, ok?

If they were impoverished, where did they get $10,000? Running something on
the side, were they? g

Ed Huntress

Yup... Cosco from the looks of it.

Gunner

1. Lie
Gunner

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 09:16:47 -0600, (Jedd Haas) wrote:

In article ,
(Bray Haven) wrote:

Let me know when he starts getting $10,000 contributions from
impoverished Buddhist nuns, ok?

Gunner

Or selling pardonsg
Greg Sefton

Bush does that a little more efficiently; he makes sure the offender
doesn't get prosecuted in the first place. Ever hear of Ken "Kenny Boy"
Lay?

From the looks of it..they are indeed working on his indictment:
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.ht.../enron/1940004
http://www.bayarea.com/mld/cctimes/business/5927948.htm
"Enron indicted in wind farm fraud
By Dale Kasler
SACRAMENTO BEE

The Enron Corp. scandal is touching, in an indirect way, a small,
eco-friendly corner of the energy industry: California wind farms.

The latest round of indictments against Enron insiders accuses former
Chief Financial Officer Andrew Fastow and his wife Lea of participating
in a scheme to mask Enron's illegal ownership in a group of California
wind farms -- and then siphoning off tens of thousands of dollars in
farm profits for themselves.

The charges are part of a broader set of accusations filed recently in
U.S. District Court in Houston against the couple and other one-time
employees in connection with Enron's collapse.

Andrew Fastow, who was also indicted in October, is the highest-ranking
Enron executive charged so far. The defendants said they'll fight the
charges. Lea Fastow is the former assistant treasurer at Enron."

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.ht.../enron/1296595

Now..about Hillary Clinton......

Gunner

1. Lie
Glenn Ashmore

Gunner wrote:

1. Lie

Funny. That is exactly the methodology that Faux News, Ann Coulter and
Rush use. Does that mean that they are Leftest?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Mark Rand

"Gunner" wrote in message

Let me know when he starts getting $10,000 contributions from
impoverished Buddhist nuns, ok?

If they were impoverished, where did they get $10,000? Running something on
the side, were they? g

Ed Huntress

I don't think it was on the side.......

I think I'm glad I don't see the same news as you chaps G

Mark Rand (in BBC land)
RTFM
Ed Huntress

"Gunner" wrote in message

Let me know when he starts getting $10,000 contributions from
impoverished Buddhist nuns, ok?

If they were impoverished, where did they get $10,000? Running

something on
the side, were they? g

Ed Huntress

I don't think it was on the side.......

I think I'm glad I don't see the same news as you chaps G

The Buddhist nuns story was one of the more entertaining moments on our TV
news. I was sure that next they'd find that some Santarian witch doctor was
contributing used chickens or something. g

Ed Huntress

Koz

Hehehe

What I find interesting is that I would have made the same list
concerning what the "right" does to press their agenda. In the Reagan
days it was "I don't recall" and "disinformation" for the public good.
It'll be interesting to see how Bush II handles this stuff...so far
they seem to scramble looking for whisps of truth so they can say "see,
we were right".

I guess what it really means is that both sides bend the truth to get
what they want and that we are all so stuck in our own personal agendas
that we tend to neglect the notion that the other guy's opinion may also
have some validity, no matter how nutty it seems

Koz

Gunner wrote:

On 03 Dec 2003 12:34:50 GMT, (Bray Haven) wrote:

Let me know when he starts getting $10,000 contributions from
impoverished Buddhist nuns, ok?

Gunner

Or selling pardonsg
Greg Sefton

rim shot The methodology of the left has always been:

1. Lie

Glenn Ashmore

Default George and Steel Tarifs -future prices

I stopped by my steel supplier today to pick up a couple of things and
jokingly asked the owner if the price would be coming down with the
lifting of the tarrif. His opinion was they may dip slightly but
overall would increase quite a bit over the next year.

Seems the Chinese are on a building binge and are scarfing up all the
steel they can get their hands on. Scrap prices have already increased
considerably. As far as he is concerned US steel makers have been
crying wolf all along.

Marv Soloff wrote:
[...]

Ed Huntress

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
I stopped by my steel supplier today to pick up a couple of things and
jokingly asked the owner if the price would be coming down with the
lifting of the tarrif. His opinion was they may dip slightly but
overall would increase quite a bit over the next year.

Seems the Chinese are on a building binge and are scarfing up all the
steel they can get their hands on. Scrap prices have already increased
considerably. As far as he is concerned US steel makers have been
crying wolf all along.

Economists around the world are saying that steel prices are in for an
increase, partly because of the Chinese consumption and partly because
manufacturing is ticking-up in general.

As for the US producers crying wolf, that depends on how you look at it.
They were going broke; the big ones were all on the block last year, but
with few interested buyers. Why that happens to be can take a while to
answer. There are several big factors, some of which are within their
control and some of which aren't.

Ed Huntress

Mark

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

Seems the Chinese are on a building binge and are scarfing up all the
steel they can get their hands on. Scrap prices have already increased
considerably. As far as he is concerned US steel makers have been
crying wolf all along.

My guess is the Chinese are buying up scrap to create a shortage. It's
easier/ cheaper to make steel from scrap. I think that would drive US
manufacturers cost higher making the US even less competitive.

OTOH, Dubya could always seize Chinese assets.

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens,
A.K.A. Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the
suspense. (Gaz, r.moto)

Spehro Pefhany

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 00:03:37 GMT, the renowned Mark
wrote:

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

Seems the Chinese are on a building binge and are scarfing up all the
steel they can get their hands on. Scrap prices have already increased
considerably. As far as he is concerned US steel makers have been
crying wolf all along.

My guess is the Chinese are buying up scrap to create a shortage. It's
easier/ cheaper to make steel from scrap. I think that would drive US
manufacturers cost higher making the US even less competitive.

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/031104/80/ed0un.html

MONACO, Nov 4 (Reuters) - Nickel prices could reach more than $15,000
a tonne ($6 a lb) in 2004-5 because of an expected boom in Chinese
demand, an extremely limited supply response and chronically low
global stock levels, an industry analyst said on Tuesday.

In a paper to delegates attending a Metal Bulletin (LSE: MTLB.L -
news) ferro-alloys conference, Jim Lennon from Macquarie Bank said
prices could push up to levels last seen 15 years ago.

"Prices will have to rise sharply -- and may stay high for a long
time," he said.

China would play the dominant role in nickel prices because of the
strong pace of its demand, particularly in stainless steel production,
he said.

In global terms, Chinese consumption accounts for more than 21 percent
of a total 1.242 million tonnes.

Stainless steel production accounts for two-thirds of nickel
consumption.

http://www.cdrecycler.com/news/news.asp?ID=1382

Ferrous Price Spike Predicted

Vicki Roche, a scrap buyer for steelmaker Gerdau AmeriSteel Corp.,
Tampa, Fla., said she has seen scrap prices averaging about $3 per ton
higher thus far in September. She noted that offshore demand for
ferrous scrap is likely to continue and that pig iron out of Brazil is
sold out through January of 2004, causing further demand strain on the
market.

According to Roche, though, some of the other “perfect storm” factors
that drove scrap prices up are alleviating. She noted that the labor
situation that restricted DRI production in Venezuela has eased and
that the Russian 30-euros tax on exported scrap could be lifted
sometime soon.

Industry analyst Marcus, though, believes there are still overall
supply constraints that, coupled with a booming Chinese steel
industry, will make for a lack of steel furnace feedstock relative to
global demand.

Marcus said that even though much of the new Chinese capacity consists
of blast furnaces, a shortage of iron ore capacity will cause buyers
at these mills to seek more scrap from an obsolete scrap reservoir
that is already straining to feed the world’s electric arc furnace
(EAF) mills.

That shortage is already showing this year, by Marcus’ calculations,
with a theoretical shortfall of 36 million metric tons of obsolete
scrap in the market in his “most likely” scenario, followed by
shortages of 40 million metric tons next year, 45 million metric tons
in 2005 and 50 million tons by 2010.

OTOH, Dubya could always seize Chinese assets.

Chow mein noodles could be as dangerous as pretzels.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Glenn Ashmore

Mark wrote:

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

Seems the Chinese are on a building binge and are scarfing up all the
steel they can get their hands on. Scrap prices have already
increased considerably. As far as he is concerned US steel makers
have been crying wolf all along.

My guess is the Chinese are buying up scrap to create a shortage. It's
easier/ cheaper to make steel from scrap. I think that would drive US
manufacturers cost higher making the US even less competitive.

OTOH, Dubya could always seize Chinese assets.

What assets? Unlike the Japanese who lost much of their forign exchange
surplus in US real estate investments like Pebble Beach, the chinese are
taking their dollars and spending it on infrastructure and buildings.

From what my steel dealer says the Chinese are driving scrap up prices
indirectly because they are buying a lot of finished structural steel
and the exporting producers are scrambling for scrap.

Just wait until they start turning that steel into cars. Then we will
be competing against them for gasoline.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Ed Huntress

"Mark" wrote in message

My guess is the Chinese are buying up scrap to create a shortage. It's
easier/ cheaper to make steel from scrap. I think that would drive US
manufacturers cost higher making the US even less competitive.

OTOH, Dubya could always seize Chinese assets.

An interesting thought, but the US has a big advantage in the secondary
steel (scrap remelted in mini-mills) business. The Chinese are bigger in
primary steel -- steel made from ore.

Ed Huntress

Gunner

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 21:33:41 -0600, (Jedd Haas) wrote:

Lay?

From the looks of it..they are indeed working on his indictment:
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.ht.../enron/1940004
http://www.bayarea.com/mld/cctimes/business/5927948.htm

More small fish, who might not even get convicted, let alone do any time.
Pipe up again when Kenny Boy's in the slammer, ok?

--
Jedd Haas - Artist

Pipe up again, when he isnt.

You always take down the little guys and the second in command t ypes,
as they have a lot to loose, will rat out the big fish, and always know
where the bodies are buried.

Gunner

1. Lie
Gunner

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 17:37:01 -0500, Glenn Ashmore
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

1. Lie

Funny. That is exactly the methodology that Faux News, Ann Coulter and
Rush use. Does that mean that they are Leftest?

When you post their lies, we will talk about them. Though it should be
pointed out, that any statement that disagrees with your mindset, (such
as it is) may not be a lie.

Gunner

1. Lie
Gunner

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 02:06:37 GMT, Abrasha wrote:

Gunner wrote:

On 03 Dec 2003 12:34:50 GMT, (Bray Haven) wrote:

Let me know when he starts getting $10,000 contributions from
impoverished Buddhist nuns, ok?

Gunner

Or selling pardonsg
Greg Sefton

rim shot

1. Lie

Hmmm,

And I thought that is how the right works. Oh no, I got that wrong again.
That's how they all work in politics. Tell me something I don't know yet.

You just think you got the left figured out don't you. Your blind anger towards
the left is beginning to sound quite funny. I like you helplessness and lack of
control in this regard.

Keep it up, as I'm sure you will until the day you die.

The more I read your silly diatribes the funnier they become.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

And I love your denial.. which btw..is not a river in Egypt.

laugh laugh laugh

Gunner

1. Lie

jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

Pipe up again when Kenny Boy's in the slammer, ok?

Pipe up again, when he isnt.

What? Kenneth Lay is incarcerated? Where?

Jim

please reply to:

Mark Rand

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 22:35:06 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

snip
As for the US producers crying wolf, that depends on how you look at it.
They were going broke; the big ones were all on the block last year, but
with few interested buyers. Why that happens to be can take a while to
answer. There are several big factors, some of which are within their
control and some of which aren't.

It's happened in the rest of the world, why not in the US as well?

Mark Rand
RTFM
Ed Huntress

"Mark Rand" wrote in message
On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 22:35:06 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

snip
As for the US producers crying wolf, that depends on how you look at it.
They were going broke; the big ones were all on the block last year, but
with few interested buyers. Why that happens to be can take a while to
answer. There are several big factors, some of which are within their
control and some of which aren't.

It's happened in the rest of the world, why not in the US as well?

Mark Rand
RTFM

Because we didn't start out with state-owned steel companies with
state-supported pensions and health care, and the kind of consolidation the
European and Japanese steel companies have indulged in would have violated
the Sherman Anti-Trust Act until recent years, and landed some steel execs
in deep doo-doo.

Ed Huntress

Abrasha

Gunner wrote:

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 22:21:28 GMT, Marv Soloff
wrote:

Jeez Gunner - that sure sounds like Bush re Medicare and Weapons of Mass
Distruction and the battle for Iraq is over.

Deja view all over again - to quote Mr. Berra

Regards,

Marv

Actually..it sounds like what the Media said Bush said. Quite a
different thing actually.

Gunner

Yo Bro,

The "media" didn't change anything. It's all on tape! What Bush said, he said
on TV, for all to hear. Nothing even Karl Rove can about it.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Gunner

wrote:

Jeez Gunner - that sure sounds like Bush re Medicare and Weapons of Mass
Distruction and the battle for Iraq is over.

Deja view all over again - to quote Mr. Berra

Regards,

Marv

Actually..it sounds like what the Media said Bush said. Quite a
different thing actually.

Gunner

Yo Bro,

The "media" didn't change anything. It's all on tape! What Bush said, he said
on TV, for all to hear. Nothing even Karl Rove can about it.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Ok, trot out the cites and the speech, and lets see what he said, ok?

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound
woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil?
Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence,
they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest
animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that,
and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make
it work.
- L. Neil Smith
Abrasha

wrote:

Jeez Gunner - that sure sounds like Bush re Medicare and Weapons of Mass
Distruction and the battle for Iraq is over.

Deja view all over again - to quote Mr. Berra

Regards,

Marv

Actually..it sounds like what the Media said Bush said. Quite a
different thing actually.

Gunner

Yo Bro,

The "media" didn't change anything. It's all on tape! What Bush said, he said
on TV, for all to hear. Nothing even Karl Rove can about it.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Ok, trot out the cites and the speech, and lets see what he said, ok?

Hmmm,

Remember the last "State of the Union" address? Please stop showing off your
unmitigated ignorance and stupidity. It's an embarrassment to the human race.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Gunner

wrote:

[...]

You mean this one?

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...030128-19.html

EG now feel free to cut and paste the parts that support your
claims...EG

Gunner, jigging the hook.....
No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound
woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil?
Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence,
they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest
animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that,
and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make
it work.
- L. Neil Smith
Charles A. Peavey

Are you guys aware that the steel fabricating industry lobbied long and
harde to have the tarriffs removed. It appears that there is not enough
steel produced in the US to allow processors a continuous flow at reasonable
prices. I don't know I am only regurgitating reports from steel fabricators
press releases as they congratulte themselves for their own victory. The
trade groups went so far as to put a fab line on the capitol steps to
demontrate their point.

Regards,
Charles

wrote:

Jeez Gunner - that sure sounds like Bush re Medicare and Weapons of

Mass
Distruction and the battle for Iraq is over.

Deja view all over again - to quote Mr. Berra

Regards,

Marv

Actually..it sounds like what the Media said Bush said. Quite a
different thing actually.

Gunner

Yo Bro,

The "media" didn't change anything. It's all on tape! What Bush said, he

said
on TV, for all to hear. Nothing even Karl Rove can about it.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Ed Huntress

"Charles A. Peavey" wrote in message
Are you guys aware that the steel fabricating industry lobbied long and
harde to have the tarriffs removed. It appears that there is not enough
steel produced in the US to allow processors a continuous flow at

reasonable
prices.

The fab industry doesn't give a damn what happens to the US steel industry,
as long as they can get steel from somewhere. The US steel industry doesn't
give a damn what happens to the fab industry, as long as there's somebody,
like the car manufacturers, who need to buy steel.

All that either of them care about is their own wallets.

Ed Huntress