DanG

Are you asking how to make structural headers with metal studs?
There are several methods, here is a fairly simple one.

Take 2 studs and lay them face to face like so [ ]

Take 2 pieces of track, attach one trapping the top of the studs,
the other traps the bottoms.

The wider the studs, the greater the span strength. The wall must
be 3 1/2" or greater to accommodate the studs.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Beartums" wrote in message
46...
I want to frame out a 9' closet with an 8' opening for interior
sliding
doors. I'm quite aware of how to do this for a standard 2.5'
interior
doors, but this is a much wider opening with relatively heavy
doors. If I
were framing with wood, I'd just use a 2x8 or 2x10 and assume
that would be
enough, but with steel studs I'm not so sure what to do. Would
a single
stud/section of track be strong enough to serve as a header for
the
opening? Or is there some special trick that I don't know that
I should
try.

tia.