Gary Stone

Default Interior Paint prep question

I am going to paint a small bathroom w/shower and the paint that is on the
walls now will come off if washed. Since I haven't painted walls before I
have some questions.

1- Should I put a primer on the wall after washing them?
2- What type of paint? Flat, gloss, semi gloss? etc, etc?
3- As I have Multiple Sclerosis (Always looking to save my energy), is there
truly any such thing as a one coat paint?

Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks
Stone

Jerr

"Gary Stone" wrote in message
I am going to paint a small bathroom w/shower and the paint that is on the
walls now will come off if washed. Since I haven't painted walls before I
have some questions.

1- Should I put a primer on the wall after washing them?
2- What type of paint? Flat, gloss, semi gloss? etc, etc?
3- As I have Multiple Sclerosis (Always looking to save my energy), is
there truly any such thing as a one coat paint?

Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks
Stone

Where do you live? I'd be happy to come over and help you if you're close
enough.

m Ransley

Do you mean it peals off or kind of washes away. What you paint over
will determine if your job will succeed.

Doug Miller

In article , "Gary Stone" wrote:
I am going to paint a small bathroom w/shower and the paint that is on the
walls now will come off if washed. Since I haven't painted walls before I
have some questions.

1- Should I put a primer on the wall after washing them?

That depends a lot on the existing finish. If it's not gloss, and not a dark
color, you can probably paint directly over it. If it's gloss or a dark color,
a primer is a good idea.

2- What type of paint? Flat, gloss, semi gloss? etc, etc?

Semi-gloss, definitely.

IMO you should *never* use flat paint in a bathroom that has a tub or shower.
The surface absorbs moisture too readily, and provides a breeding ground for
mildew. This is particularly important on the ceiling.

Gloss isn't the best choice for walls because (a) it will show every little
imperfection in the surface, and (b) it glares. It's great for trim, though.

3- As I have Multiple Sclerosis (Always looking to save my energy), is there
truly any such thing as a one coat paint?

Mmmmm. Sorry to hear that. One of my wife's friends has MS, so we know it's
not easy to deal with. She has good days and bad days; I hope that your good
days outnumber the bad ones.

Get the best paint you can afford, and you might manage. I've always had good
luck with Sherwin-Williams top of the line (SuperPaint, I think they call it).
If you apply it carefully, and the existing paint is not too dark a color, you
may get one-coat coverage. Two coats is always better, though, because there's
almost always a spot that gets missed in the first coat, or a place where it
rolled on a bit thin...

--
Regards,

Gary Stone

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Do you mean it peals off or kind of washes away. What you paint over
will determine if your job will succeed.

Ok, went back in and looked it over, seems that one area of the wall around
the end of the vanity by the light switch was repainted with cheap paint and
the rest of room is semi-gloss. So, just the one wall about 6' wide is of
concern. It just kind of rubs off when I try to clean it.

Stone

Gary Stone

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. com...
In article , "Gary Stone"
wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I figured two coats. I have good days and bad but usually get things
done even if it takes me a bit longer. The walls are currently white and
will be painting them white. The walls were yellow before the previous owner
painted them. Upon closer inspection one wall (entry wall) was repaired and
repainted with a cheap paint and the rest of the room, I'll assume is
semi-gloss and does not rub off. The room is small about 6' x 8' so cost of
the paint isn't going to be much of a factor, might as well go for a good
quality paint as your suggest.

Stone

xrongor

how long do you want it to last before you have to do it again? if the
answer is more than 3 years, i would prime, then double coat paint it. the
last coat of paint will go on very easy, but will be the difference between
a job that lasts, and one that doesnt. i realize you have MS, but the paint
doesnt care. if you want to save energy, do it right, once, then forget
about it for 10-15 years.

eggshell. you get most of the benefits of more glossy paint, but can still
be somewhat sloppy applying it.

randy

"Gary Stone" wrote in message
I am going to paint a small bathroom w/shower and the paint that is on the
walls now will come off if washed. Since I haven't painted walls before I
have some questions.

1- Should I put a primer on the wall after washing them?
2- What type of paint? Flat, gloss, semi gloss? etc, etc?
3- As I have Multiple Sclerosis (Always looking to save my energy), is
there truly any such thing as a one coat paint?

Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks
Stone

John Hines

"Gary Stone" wrote:

1- Should I put a primer on the wall after washing them?

Yes

2- What type of paint? Flat, gloss, semi gloss? etc, etc?

As others have said, semi or gloss as needed. Get a good paint for both
primer and finish coat.

3- As I have Multiple Sclerosis (Always looking to save my energy), is there
truly any such thing as a one coat paint?

Yeah, but it is

a) expensive
b) sold in 5 gal buckets for industrial types of usage, where labor is
very high
c) works ok, but not as good as the old two coat (primer and finish)
method. With a two part method, you can touch up the primer coat as
needed if you miss any spots.

I'll add that you should get a quart can of "de-glosser" or "gloss
remover", which is a pre paint cleaner that removes any previous gloss
(semi or not), and cleans any oil from the hands off. Removing the
gloss roughens the old paint, allowing the new coat to stick better.
Clean off the old paint as best as you can, then use this stuff on a rag
as the final cleaning step.

Go to a paint store, such as Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams rather
than the big box store, as I'd trust their advice more.

Gary Stone

"John Hines" wrote in message
"Gary Stone" wrote:

[...]

OK, thanks to all for the advise. Will take the time and do it right with
the higher quality paints as I will be here (hopefully) a long time.

Stone

jeffc

"Gary Stone" wrote in message
I am going to paint a small bathroom w/shower and the paint that is on the
walls now will come off if washed.

Huh? Any paint that comes off like that has to be totally removed, and you
have to figure out what's making it come off. Once you're down to solid
paint or some substrate (like good drywall), then...

1- Should I put a primer on the wall after washing them?
2- What type of paint? Flat, gloss, semi gloss? etc, etc?
3- As I have Multiple Sclerosis (Always looking to save my energy), is
there truly any such thing as a one coat paint?

Yes, there is one coat paint, and if you use a quality paint, and don't have
to paint a color like bright red, you can usually paint in one coat without
a primer (the paint itself acts as primer.) This type of paint is more
expensive though. But what is more expensive, paint that costs twice as
much that needs one coat, or paint that costs half as much and needs 2 coats
(so you need twice as much of it?) Obviously the more expensive paint is
cheaper in terms of labor. One such paint is Sherwin Williams SuperPaint.
There are others from other companies. I'd go with satin or eggshell in a
bathroom, or possibly semi-gloss if you like that extra shine (which I
don't).

jeffc

"John Hines" wrote in message
3- As I have Multiple Sclerosis (Always looking to save my energy), is
there
truly any such thing as a one coat paint?

Yeah, but it is

a) expensive
b) sold in 5 gal buckets for industrial types of usage, where labor is
very high

Not true (it is sold in 5 gal buckets, but also 1 gallon buckets and often
quarts as well, such as SuperPaint.)

John Hines

"jeffc" wrote:

"John Hines" wrote in message
.. .
3- As I have Multiple Sclerosis (Always looking to save my energy), is
there
truly any such thing as a one coat paint?

Yeah, but it is

a) expensive
b) sold in 5 gal buckets for industrial types of usage, where labor is
very high

Not true (it is sold in 5 gal buckets, but also 1 gallon buckets and often
quarts as well, such as SuperPaint.)

That is what I was told by my painters.
jeffc

"John Hines" wrote in message
3- As I have Multiple Sclerosis (Always looking to save my energy), is
there
truly any such thing as a one coat paint?

Yeah, but it is

a) expensive
b) sold in 5 gal buckets for industrial types of usage, where labor is
very high

Not true (it is sold in 5 gal buckets, but also 1 gallon buckets and often
quarts as well, such as SuperPaint.)

That is what I was told by my painters.

That is not suprising, is it? :-) First, they might be trying to protect
their interests (make it sound like only they can reasonably afford such
things.) Second, they might just be totally clueless, which would be fairly
typical of "professional" painters.

John Hines

"jeffc" wrote:

"John Hines" wrote in message
.. .
3- As I have Multiple Sclerosis (Always looking to save my energy), is
there
truly any such thing as a one coat paint?

Yeah, but it is

a) expensive
b) sold in 5 gal buckets for industrial types of usage, where labor is
very high

Not true (it is sold in 5 gal buckets, but also 1 gallon buckets and often
quarts as well, such as SuperPaint.)

That is what I was told by my painters.

That is not suprising, is it? :-) First, they might be trying to protect
their interests (make it sound like only they can reasonably afford such
things.) Second, they might just be totally clueless, which would be fairly
typical of "professional" painters.

As I also have MS, it is more like "I don't want to eff with it". If I
did, I'd go with Benjamin Moore, and a 2 layer job. I found it on the
web, it was one of Glidden's industrial paints.

Norminn

Gary Stone wrote:
I am going to paint a small bathroom w/shower and the paint that is on the
walls now will come off if washed. Since I haven't painted walls before I
have some questions.

1- Should I put a primer on the wall after washing them?
2- What type of paint? Flat, gloss, semi gloss? etc, etc?
3- As I have Multiple Sclerosis (Always looking to save my energy), is there
truly any such thing as a one coat paint?

Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks
Stone

I've never seen interior paint that would "wash off" or chalk like
exterior paint. If it washes off, have someone wash it. Sounds like it
would be worthwhile to use a primer after it is clean and dry.

I like semi-gloss alkyd paint for kitchen and bath for washability and
durability. I consider prep - washing, patching and sanding - to be the
most strenuous part of painting (after shopping for all the gear). Do
you have a friend or housemate who will help with the chores? Good way
to sort friends from the riff-raff is by asking someone ) Then, break
it down into small parts - tape one day, brush in borders the next, roll
a coat, rest a day or two, roll another. As for asking for help, I have
friends who understand when I need help and for whom I can reciprocate.
I have also had some mighty darn proud friends who trusted me enough
to ask for help and whom I was very happy to oblige.

jeffc

"John Hines" wrote in message

As I also have MS, it is more like "I don't want to eff with it". If I
did, I'd go with Benjamin Moore, and a 2 layer job. I found it on the
web, it was one of Glidden's industrial paints.

Not aware of any connection between BM and Glidden. Glidden is owned by ICI
Dulux, which sells their own paint as well.

John Hines

F"jeffc" wrote:

"John Hines" wrote in message
.. .

As I also have MS, it is more like "I don't want to eff with it". If I
did, I'd go with Benjamin Moore, and a 2 layer job. I found it on the
web, it was one of Glidden's industrial paints.

Not aware of any connection between BM and Glidden. Glidden is owned by ICI
Dulux, which sells their own paint as well.

I'd use BM.
The painters used Glidden, worked fine, I've no problem with it, and
didn't specify any specific paint to be used.

Hopkins

You need to clean off whatever comes off -- paint, soap film, etc.
I'd use a primer on the bad spot you mentioned.
Someone mentioned a de-glosser -- though it's a good idea, i find it
unnecessary. At most just use some sandpaper to scuff the surface.
Never flat in the bath. I would go with at least an eggshell, probably
a satin, maybe a semi-gloss.

Any one-coat paints are going to be high end commercial stuff. Count on
2 coats, and if one coat covers yell "yay!". Oddly enough, covering
white with white is typically a 2 coat job.

Cutting board question Glenna Rose Woodworking 4 January 3rd 05 04:40 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Yale Electric Chain Hoist Question MP Toolman Metalworking 3 July 13th 04 08:24 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM