Default How to repair stripped washing machine agitator

All,

I have a 5 YO Hotpoint wlw3310b washing machine. A few weeks ago it
starting squeaking in the wash cycle, then the agitator stopped working
altogether. I pulled the agitator and noticed the plastic up in the
shaft was stripped. There may also be some wear on the slots on the
shaft (the metal pole which spins the agitator. If i push down on the
agititor (with the kill switch bypassed) it works again.

Its an old machine. Are there some easy quick fixes to increase the
friction between the agitator and the pole it sits on? Perhaps a
carefully placed nut and bolt(least desirable)? Or perhaps epoxy,
electrical tape, rubber bands, O-Rings, or other things to increase
friction between the agitator and the shaft? I see I can replace the
agititor for $50 or so online, are there generic versions to buy at
Home Depot?

I am about to embark on a trial and error mission, but wanted to appeal
to the experts first to make sure i don't do something stupid.

Thank You....

Jeff Wisnia

[...]

I'd take a shot at securing it with JB-Weld (Metal Filled epoxy). If it
doesn't work you're only out a few bucks for the stuff, and you could
then just carve it off the shaft splines before putting on a new agitator.

Chances are you won't have to pull the agitator again before the machine
wears out, and if you did, and broke it in the process you'd be no worse
off than you are now. 'eh?

Just remember to be patient and give the JB-Weld a FULL DAY to cure
completely before you test your work.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Appliance Repair Aid

[...]

Hi,

I have a 5 YO Hotpoint wlw3310b washing machine.

That is part of a full model# and the washer is probably more like 10+
years old.

Are there some easy quick fixes to increase the
friction between the agitator and the pole it sits on?

Replace the drive block inside the agitator and clean up the tranny
shaft.

This is a common coupler that is onside the agitator...it can strip out
if the washer has been over loaded a few times.

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=3365
Washing machine agitator coupling, for 20 spline drive shaft
transmissions.

This may help,
http://www.applianceaid.com/ge-os-wa...l#agitate-prob

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Ed

$249 solution:
http://tinyurl.com/4pn6y

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to dczoomzoom, figure it for yourself wrote:
there are no experts to look up to , you are your own expert , you know best
so try what might make sense !

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ator-3964-.htm

Zanussi sensorcycle 1050 washing machine problem Terry UK diy 7 September 1st 04 08:49 PM
Indesit washing machine - a common problem? Jonathan Elliott UK diy 3 March 30th 04 12:00 PM
Washing machine pipes Mag Home Repair 2 September 8th 03 11:12 PM
washing machine leaving oily spots on clothes Jim Mc Namara Home Repair 2 August 29th 03 12:37 AM
Zanussi washing machine - blown program selector Mat UK diy 1 July 9th 03 01:09 AM