Jeff Wisnia

All,

I have a 5 YO Hotpoint wlw3310b washing machine. A few weeks ago it
starting squeaking in the wash cycle, then the agitator stopped working
altogether. I pulled the agitator and noticed the plastic up in the
shaft was stripped. There may also be some wear on the slots on the
shaft (the metal pole which spins the agitator. If i push down on the
agititor (with the kill switch bypassed) it works again.

Its an old machine. Are there some easy quick fixes to increase the
friction between the agitator and the pole it sits on? Perhaps a
carefully placed nut and bolt(least desirable)? Or perhaps epoxy,
electrical tape, rubber bands, O-Rings, or other things to increase
friction between the agitator and the shaft? I see I can replace the
agititor for $50 or so online, are there generic versions to buy at
Home Depot?

I am about to embark on a trial and error mission, but wanted to appeal
to the experts first to make sure i don't do something stupid.

Thank You....

I'd take a shot at securing it with JB-Weld (Metal Filled epoxy). If it
doesn't work you're only out a few bucks for the stuff, and you could
then just carve it off the shaft splines before putting on a new agitator.

Chances are you won't have to pull the agitator again before the machine
wears out, and if you did, and broke it in the process you'd be no worse
off than you are now. 'eh?

Just remember to be patient and give the JB-Weld a FULL DAY to cure
completely before you test your work.

HTH,

Jeff

--