John H

Default Moister Meters

Does anyone know about the accuracy of electronic moisture meters. I have
just had double glazing installed and the sales person said I should get a
dehumidifier and moister meter. I have a hygrometer on an old barometer in
the hall.
John

Joseph Meehan

John H wrote:
Does anyone know about the accuracy of electronic moisture meters. I
have just had double glazing installed and the sales person said I
should get a dehumidifier and moister meter. I have a hygrometer on
an old barometer in the hall.
John

I find that most of the electronic meters are reasonably accurate and
they usually are consistent.

The questions that comes to my mind is why did the sales person suggest
you get a dehumidifier and moisture meter? I think this may be a more
important issue.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

m Ransley

Sound like your sales person doesnt know what he is talking about.
Moidture meters measure moisture in wood or concrete.

Why do you need one, whose windows did you put in, what are the issues

John H

I had acrylic window panes fitted and I think that people may expect more
improvement than they get (as measured by heating bills). Using a
dehumidifier is a free way (for them) of getting that better result.
John

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
John H wrote:
Does anyone know about the accuracy of electronic moisture meters. I
have just had double glazing installed and the sales person said I
should get a dehumidifier and moister meter. I have a hygrometer on
an old barometer in the hall.
John

I find that most of the electronic meters are reasonably accurate and
they usually are consistent.

The questions that comes to my mind is why did the sales person

suggest
you get a dehumidifier and moisture meter? I think this may be a more
important issue.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

John H

He hay have said "humidity meter".
John
"m Ransley" wrote in message
Sound like your sales person doesnt know what he is talking about.
Moidture meters measure moisture in wood or concrete.

Why do you need one, whose windows did you put in, what are the issues

Joseph Meehan

John H wrote:
I had acrylic window panes fitted and I think that people may expect
more improvement than they get (as measured by heating bills). Using a
dehumidifier is a free way (for them) of getting that better result.
John

I am not at all sure what you are getting at. Is it possible you are in
the south, like Florida hurricane belt? Up north we seldom use acrylic
windows and dehumidifiers are generally only needed for damp basements.

John H wrote:
Does anyone know about the accuracy of electronic moisture meters. I
have just had double glazing installed and the sales person said I
should get a dehumidifier and moister meter. I have a hygrometer on
an old barometer in the hall.
John

I find that most of the electronic meters are reasonably
accurate and they usually are consistent.

The questions that comes to my mind is why did the sales person
suggest you get a dehumidifier and moisture meter? I think this may
be a more important issue.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Phisherman

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 08:24:31 +1300, "John H"
wrote:

Does anyone know about the accuracy of electronic moisture meters. I have
just had double glazing installed and the sales person said I should get a
dehumidifier and moister meter. I have a hygrometer on an old barometer in
the hall.
John

You can calibrate your hygrometer or at least see the accuracy of it.
Take it in the bathroom and take a long steamy shower. The dial
should be right at 100%. Then, just after the oven has cooled down
to 100 degrees, place the unit in the oven. After 10 minutes it
should read 0% or close to it.
Jerry G.

The home type digital humidity meters should be fairly accurate for everyday
use. They are usually within about 5%. If you go to a professional unit
that is very expensive, they can be accurate to better than one percent.

--

Jerry G.
======

"John H" wrote in message
Does anyone know about the accuracy of electronic moisture meters. I have
just had double glazing installed and the sales person said I should get a
dehumidifier and moister meter. I have a hygrometer on an old barometer in
the hall.
John

John H

I live further south than Florida (43degrees south of the equator in
Christchurch, New Zealand). Our older houses are poorly insulated as in the
past we never took the cold seriously just built a bigger fire. The humidity
isn't particularily high here, the last few days have been 70 to 75%.
People who use dehumidifiers say that even in modern houses they are a good
idea.

John H wrote:
Does anyone know about the accuracy of electronic moisture meters. I
have just had double glazing installed and the sales person said I
should get a dehumidifier and moister meter. I have a hygrometer on
an old barometer in the hall.
John

I find that most of the electronic meters are reasonably
accurate and they usually are consistent.

The questions that comes to my mind is why did the sales person
suggest you get a dehumidifier and moisture meter? I think this may
be a more important issue.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Joseph Meehan

John H wrote:
I live further south than Florida (43degrees south of the equator in
Christchurch, New Zealand). Our older houses are poorly insulated as
in the past we never took the cold seriously just built a bigger
fire. The humidity isn't particularily high here, the last few days
have been 70 to 75%. People who use dehumidifiers say that even in
modern houses they are a good idea.
John.

Yes at 70% you will want a dehumidifier and will enjoy the results.
That also may explain the term "moisture meter"