David Combs

Default radio-shacks "new" line of VOMs (meters)

Here's three VOMs (Volt-Ohm Meters, current too) that I just
saw over at Radio Shack.

Seems like a yet another series of VOMs for them -- seem quite different
in "look" from the other ones RS carries -- and didn't see
them there as recently as a month or two ago.

All three look much the same, almost as if (my WAG) they're
identical inside except for some features being disabled
for the cheaper models.

Here they a

#22-812: 46 ranges, $59.95 (temp measurements too)

#22-811: 42 ranges, $59.95 ("measures electric fields")

#22-813: Num-ranges??, $29.95 (also does 9v and AAA batteries).

Anyone know anything about them, eg their accuracy, robustness, etc?

And, are they basically identical, except for maybe the temperature-measuring
and "electric-field testing"?

The cheapest one has the two battery tests; I assume that it puts
them under some kind of load before reading the voltage? If so,
sounds useful -- or am I wrong on that.

Also, re electric-field measurement, isn't that easy to do
with *any* voltmeter, by attaching one lead to a good
ground, and holding the other between wetened fingers (your body
being the antenna)?

In all, any opinions about this "new" radio-shack line of VOMs?

Thanks,

David

Greg O

In all, any opinions about this "new" radio-shack line of VOMs?

Thanks,

David

I am not familar with Rat Shacks new meters, but my past experiance most
stuff they sell with their label is over priced junk! I bought 2 VOM's from
them at differant times and they lasted untill the warranty was over.
As an other poster has said, buy a Fluke, it will last a home owner for
ever. If you cringe at spending that much money, buy the VOM from Harbor
Freight that goes on sale for 4-5 bucks. My neighbor has one in every car on
in the house and one in the garage! They all work fine, and for $5 it is
hard to go wrong!
Greg

David Combs

In article ,
Greg O wrote:

I am not familar with Rat Shacks new meters, but my past experiance most
stuff they sell with their label is over priced junk! I bought 2 VOM's from
them at differant times and they lasted untill the warranty was over.
As an other poster has said, buy a Fluke, it will last a home owner for
ever. If you cringe at spending that much money, buy the VOM from Harbor
Freight that goes on sale for 4-5 bucks. My neighbor has one in every car on
in the house and one in the garage! They all work fine, and for $5 it is
hard to go wrong!
Greg

Thanks, will do.

The only place I've ever seen the name Harbor Freight is
here, in this newsgroup.

Will have to see if there's one hereabouts (either Westchester Cty
or NY City).

Thanks, all!

David

JohnB

David Combs wrote:
Thanks, will do.

The only place I've ever seen the name Harbor Freight is
here, in this newsgroup.

Will have to see if there's one hereabouts (either Westchester Cty
or NY City).

Thanks, all!

David

I am not aware of any Harbor Freight retail stores. I deal with
them via Internet
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/html/g2.html

willshak

David Combs wrote:

In article ,
Greg O wrote:

[...]

Harbor Freight has been around for decades. They didn't have brick and
mortar stores in my area of NY. I bought something from them once from
an ad. I think it was some cheap sockets or something made in Japan,
when Japanese stuff was crap. Thereafter, I got their catalogs for years.
Rob Mills

"willshak" wrote in message

Harbor Freight has been around for decades. They didn't have brick and

mortar stores in my area of NY.

They just have a few stores, don't think any are east of the Mississippi. We
have one in Tulsa and it's a real interesting place to browse and is always
crowded. Their .99 cent package of shrink tubing looks just like the one RS
wants 3 or 4 bucks for. I have several of their paint guns and stationary
equipment stands and all I can say is that they work and the price is right.
Independent too, they slam the door at 6:00 PM and don't think they open on
Sunday either which probably makes it hard for some of the employed, I'm
retired so no big deal for me. RM~

Bo Williams

Rob Mills wrote:

"willshak" wrote in message

Harbor Freight has been around for decades. They didn't have brick and

mortar stores in my area of NY.

They just have a few stores, don't think any are east of the Mississippi.

There are lots east of the Mississippi.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/retail_stores.taf

[...]
--
Bo Williams -
http://hiwaay.net/~williams/
Rob Mills

"Bo Williams" wrote in message

There are lots east of the Mississippi.

Sure nuff, guess the mailings that I receive just lists our area. RM~

Greg O

"JohnB" wrote in message
link.net...
David Combs wrote:
Thanks, will do.

The only place I've ever seen the name Harbor Freight is
here, in this newsgroup.

Will have to see if there's one hereabouts (either Westchester Cty
or NY City).

Thanks, all!

David

I am not aware of any Harbor Freight retail stores. I deal with
them via Internet
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/html/g2.html

You can get to Harbor Freight online, they do have a few stores around too.
There happens to be one in my city.
In New York state you have one in, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracruse, and Utica.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta..._stores.taf#NY
Greg

Broken Radio JW Electronics Repair 3 May 31st 04 01:05 PM
Improve Sensitivity on Radio Nick Electronics 8 September 2nd 03 12:03 AM