Michael Fiedler

Default ESR Meters

Since I do a lot of repair at work and at home, I wanted to pose a
question to the techies in the group. At work I use a Sencore LC
meter. At home, I have nothing to check caps with. Is there that big
of a difference in cap checkers, especially when checking ESR between
say a Sencore high end as opposed to a B&K $300-$500 model. Also, a
local supplier in town is selling ESR meters that are made by some guy
in NY and they sell for about $140. He claims everyone that has
bought them has paid for it with the first two service calls. It is
an in-circuit checker. It comes with a chart for several cap values
and kind of tells you what a good one should read and what a bad one
will read. It looks like it is a home-brew type thing. Anyhow, my
bottom line is I am going to get something for use for my home
business and I can't spend the money a Sencore costs, but I am trying
to get info on the B&K's and or this home-brew unit. Any opinions are
greatly appreciated and thanks in advance. To reply privately, if the
nospamo is in the address, just take that out.

Mike
Bob Parker

Howdy,
Take a look at
http://www.anatekcorp.com/testequipment/esrcompar.htm which gives a
reasonable comparison between the cheaper ESR meters on the market.
The B&K units aren't mentioned, though.

Bob

Michael Fiedler wrote:

[...]

Patch

"Michael Fiedler" wrote in message
[...]

Mike I bought an ESR meter in kit form several years ago & I love it. I
think it was about $50. If you are going to work on SMPS you will need one.
Here is a link to the Dick Smith model I have. Your local supplier is making
a pretty good mark up, they sell a finished meter for $87 at the web site
I'm sending you. (also in NY, probably the same meter.)

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/esrmeter.htm

Leonard G. Caillouet

I have a Sencore LC103 and the Dick Smith meter I built from a kit. For ESR
measurements I find either to be adequate. The ability to test DA on the
Sencore is a big help in finding problem caps. I have found quite a few
that I probably would not have changed based on just ESR measurements.

In general, however, the DSE ESR meter is a must have for any tech, IMO.

Leonard Caillouet

[...]

Michael Fiedler

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 18:24:24 GMT, Michael Fiedler
wrote:

[...]

Thanks to all who posted; I have been given some very good ideas, and
a good direction to go in selecting something to check cap ESR's with.
If I hit the big jackpot someday ( ) maybe I can afford a Sencore
LC meter. Thanks again!