Patch

Default ESR Meters

"Michael Fiedler" wrote in message
Since I do a lot of repair at work and at home, I wanted to pose a
question to the techies in the group. At work I use a Sencore LC
meter. At home, I have nothing to check caps with. Is there that big
of a difference in cap checkers, especially when checking ESR between
say a Sencore high end as opposed to a B&K $300-$500 model. Also, a
local supplier in town is selling ESR meters that are made by some guy
in NY and they sell for about $140. He claims everyone that has
bought them has paid for it with the first two service calls. It is
an in-circuit checker. It comes with a chart for several cap values
and kind of tells you what a good one should read and what a bad one
will read. It looks like it is a home-brew type thing. Anyhow, my
bottom line is I am going to get something for use for my home
business and I can't spend the money a Sencore costs, but I am trying
to get info on the B&K's and or this home-brew unit. Any opinions are
greatly appreciated and thanks in advance. To reply privately, if the
nospamo is in the address, just take that out.

Mike

Mike I bought an ESR meter in kit form several years ago & I love it. I
think it was about $50. If you are going to work on SMPS you will need one.
Here is a link to the Dick Smith model I have. Your local supplier is making
a pretty good mark up, they sell a finished meter for $87 at the web site
I'm sending you. (also in NY, probably the same meter.)

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bobpar/esrmeter.htm