daler

Default Pocket door

I'm adding a basement bathroom and am working with limited space.

So limited, in fact, that the floor joist over the doorway is only 77",
and that's before any framing.

Because of that, I've ruled out a conventional bathroom door, as
everyone in the family (other than grandkids) would have to duck once
the header and trim were in place.

So, I'm considering a pocket door. But again...space is a
consideration. Home Depot has a pre-built pocket door frame that would
save me a lot of time and energy (and money - it's cheap), but it's
designed for an 80" high doorway, which would require my slicing 3" off
the top of the frame - and I'll have to either custom order a 77" high
door or cut a typical 80" door to fit.

All that having been said, my concern is that it looks like a hell of a
job to install even without the custom fitting, and that the wheel
mechanism would be vulnerable over the years to wear, basement moisture,
etc.

So, my question is: has anyone installed a "custom-fit" pocket door, and
do you have to be Bob Vila to pull it off? Is it worth the hassle?
Or should I go with bi-fold doors (the only other option)?
dadiOH

daler wrote:
[...]

Pocket doors - as most exist today - are a PITA. I'd go with the
folding. The 77" meets code?

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

daler

dadiOH wrote:
daler wrote:

[...]

No code (other than electrical & septic) where I'm at.

You had problems with a pocket door installation?
calhoun

I don't understand, the ceiling height is only 77"? Seems you would be
almost ducking just walking around.
With a pocket door you still need some framing, and because of the track on
the top, a Pocket door will require even more ducking. You are going to have
to cut down any door you get a regular swinging door will give the most
headroom.

"daler" wrote in message
[...]

dadiOH

daler wrote:

You had problems with a pocket door installation?

No, not really but the pockets that most builders use - and which are
generally available at home improvement stores - are less than
great...poorly constructed and joined...flimsy...weak.

A standard 2x4 stud wall with a pocket winds up pretty flimsy too.
*Much* better would be two 2x4 walls with a pocket between but you then
have a really thick wall. There are also well made pockets available
but they have to be hunted out.

Besides the pocket itself is the track and hardware. Again, there is
good stuff but ya gotta hunt for it. Worthwhile because replacing a
track is a major undertaking. Even replacing a hanger is a real PITA.
I have a door now with a broken front hanger...gotta take off all the
trim to get the door out to replace same. As I said, a PITA.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Goedjn

I'm adding a basement bathroom and am working with limited space.

Because of that, I've ruled out a conventional bathroom door, as everyone
in the family (other than grandkids) would have to duck once the header
and trim were in place.

So, I'm considering a pocket door. But again...space is a consideration.

So, my question is: has anyone installed a "custom-fit" pocket door, and
do you have to be Bob Vila to pull it off? Is it worth the hassle? Or
should I go with bi-fold doors (the only other option)?

All the pocket doors I've looked at run on overhead rails, which means
the assembly takes up *MORE* overhead space than a regular door,
because you have to hide the track.
Just case the sides of the doorway normally, and leave out the
header. Build up the joist flush with the walls on either side,
so you can add trim (bottom edge flush with the bottom of the
joist) and fill all the cracks and seams that would normally be
covered by the casing with wood-filler, and paint.