daler

dadiOH wrote:
daler wrote:

I'm adding a basement bathroom and am working with limited space.

So limited, in fact, that the floor joist over the doorway is only
77", and that's before any framing.

Because of that, I've ruled out a conventional bathroom door, as
everyone in the family (other than grandkids) would have to duck once
the header and trim were in place.

So, I'm considering a pocket door. But again...space is a
consideration. Home Depot has a pre-built pocket door frame that
would save me a lot of time and energy (and money - it's cheap), but
it's designed for an 80" high doorway, which would require my slicing
3" off the top of the frame - and I'll have to either custom order a
77" high door or cut a typical 80" door to fit.

All that having been said, my concern is that it looks like a hell of
a job to install even without the custom fitting, and that the wheel
mechanism would be vulnerable over the years to wear, basement
moisture, etc.

So, my question is: has anyone installed a "custom-fit" pocket door,
and do you have to be Bob Vila to pull it off? Is it worth the
hassle?
Or should I go with bi-fold doors (the only other option)?

Pocket doors - as most exist today - are a PITA. I'd go with the
folding. The 77" meets code?

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

No code (other than electrical & septic) where I'm at.

You had problems with a pocket door installation?