calhoun

I don't understand, the ceiling height is only 77"? Seems you would be
almost ducking just walking around.
With a pocket door you still need some framing, and because of the track on
the top, a Pocket door will require even more ducking. You are going to have
to cut down any door you get a regular swinging door will give the most
headroom.

"daler" wrote in message
I'm adding a basement bathroom and am working with limited space.

So limited, in fact, that the floor joist over the doorway is only 77",
and that's before any framing.

Because of that, I've ruled out a conventional bathroom door, as everyone
in the family (other than grandkids) would have to duck once the header
and trim were in place.

So, I'm considering a pocket door. But again...space is a consideration.
Home Depot has a pre-built pocket door frame that would save me a lot of
time and energy (and money - it's cheap), but it's designed for an 80"
high doorway, which would require my slicing 3" off the top of the frame -
and I'll have to either custom order a 77" high door or cut a typical 80"
door to fit.

All that having been said, my concern is that it looks like a hell of a
job to install even without the custom fitting, and that the wheel
mechanism would be vulnerable over the years to wear, basement moisture,
etc.

So, my question is: has anyone installed a "custom-fit" pocket door, and
do you have to be Bob Vila to pull it off? Is it worth the hassle? Or
should I go with bi-fold doors (the only other option)?