meirman

In alt.home.repair on Sun, 27 Feb 2005 13:26:01 GMT "Edwin Pawlowski"
posted:

"meirman" wrote in message

OFF TOPIC to the original question, but in 1958, the Whirlpool washer
my mother bought had a sudsmiser option. The washing machine
discharged the wash water to a laundry tub and discharged the rinse
water to a tube that went straight to the drain in the same laundry
tub. Then for the second load of laundry, it would suck up the still
hot and soapy water for the wash cycle, and I guess this time it would
discharge it through the tube.

I haven't seen the Sudsmiser option on any machine other than the one
my mother had.

I remember that. Years ago most laundry was done in the basement or a
laundry room that had a big double tub and the machine emptied into the tub.

We only had a single tub, and I guess I didn't say it but the rinse
water drained out through that tube, surrounded by the wash water in
the same tub. When I was 10 this was very impressive.

Today, you are likely to find the machine emptying into a stand pipe and the
whole thing tucked into a bathroom or closet.

Yeah.

If you go back to the old wringer washer, it was common to do a couple of
batches in the soapy water before draining and rinsing the clothing. Then

Off topic from the off-topic, but in NYC for quite a few years around
the turn of the century, 1900, it was illegal to take a bath. Because
it was so much effort to heat the water on the stove, more than one
person would bath in the same water, and it spread diseases. (They
would hang the tub outside the kitchen window, between the buildings,
when not using it.)

I guess if you had a hot water heater connected to a real tub, baths
were not illegal, but people from the tenements were expected to go to
the public baths, which I think were showers.

the wet stuff was hung outside. Apartments had lines strung out the window
on a pulley.

They still sell that pulley. I mention this because for some reason I
have one, but I can't return it since i don't have the receipt and
don't remember where I bought it.

My mother dried clothes outside until 1966, but we had a yard. And
wooden clothespoles to hold up the clothesline. For 10 years in
Brooklyn I had a washing machine, 2 consecutive ones that I found in
the trash on the street, both easy to repair. But I never found a
drier, so I dried my clothes on the shower bar. Cotton/polyester
dries very quickly. Towels take a whole day, and come out stiff, but
the stiffness goes away the first time they're used.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
meirman

In alt.home.repair on Sun, 27 Feb 2005 07:55:24 -0700 "RJ"
posted:

There was speculation about running a pipeline
from Lake Superior to restore water levels
in the Ogalalla Aquifer. ( Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa etc. )

When they built the reservoirs around Baltimore, maybe in the 50's
through 70's, the engineer wanted a pipe from the Susquehanna river 30
or 40 miles away. They built it in the 70's, I think it was, but
didn't use it until about 1998 and the following year, when it really
came in handy. The reservoirs were close to empty and I think we
would not have had enough water without that pipe.

The guy who wanted it was still alive to see it used. That's good
because I'm sure he had gotten a lot of flak about wasting city money.

In Israel, they take the sewage from Tel Aviv and around there, from
toilets, etc. and pipe it down to Beersheva and futher south to water
the crops with. Even though they use computerized drip irrigation,
they are still short of water.

At the very hint of the idea, some Minnesotans replied;
"You're not taking OUR water !"

But then, they were being assholes.....

On 26 Feb 2005 20:49:31 -0800, "Porky" wrote:

Tony is a good guy, don't be rude to him.
Many Arizonians are presently washing their cars with prehistoric
water, pumped out of the prehistoric bowels of the earth.. That's a
factoid i learned at the Desert Museum in Tucson. Americans will
eventually need to take water from Canadian rivers, and they will do
so, with or without consent.

JohnK

rj

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
Dan C

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 23:56:57 -0500, Kathy wrote:

DEPE got soft. You can't even get them to enforce ther own rules. Oh, and
BTW, the fine for cutting down a tree in a wetlands area is $250. and you
don't even have to replace the tree. What a joke. This whole ****ing state
is a joke.

Why do you still live there?

Linux Registered User #327951

Tom Miller

wrote:

| There was speculation about running a pipeline
| from Lake Superior to restore water levels
| in the Ogalalla Aquifer. ( Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa etc. )
|
| At the very hint of the idea, some Minnesotans replied;
| "You're not taking OUR water !"
|
| But then, they were being assholes.....

Yeah, those guys in the dry areas will just have to move, right? Only
please don't move to MY town, OK? We'll be using all our space for the
holes we stick our heads into until our environmental problems go
away.

| On 26 Feb 2005 20:49:31 -0800, "Porky" wrote:
|
| Tony is a good guy, don't be rude to him.
| Many Arizonians are presently washing their cars with prehistoric
| water, pumped out of the prehistoric bowels of the earth.. That's a
| factoid i learned at the Desert Museum in Tucson. Americans will
| eventually need to take water from Canadian rivers, and they will do
| so, with or without consent.
|
| JohnK
|
| rj

The Real Tom

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 18:08:14 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

The Real Tom wrote:
On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 14:55:25 -0500, "orangetrader"
wrote:

While I am contemplating how to fix the drain problem with our
washer, I have connected the washer to a flex tube and discharge the
laundry water out the garage. The water runs across the back yard's
concrete paver and end up ponding a little in the back alley.

Apparently one of our neighbors complained to the city and they sent
a code inspector out and told us we had to stop doing it. I said
this is temporary

I wrote my state epa asking codes that effect using washer rinse water
for watering the yard. They gave me a reply that matches what you
got, don't do it. Read as I match up what I received to your post.

and if I were to wash my car there it will have the same effect. She

No not the same, laundry water its typically contaiminated with human
fecal/body waste bacteria, unlike your car I HOPE.

couldn't quote me any specific violation but told me I have to stop
immediately.

Code violation I could have faced was discharge of untreated human
waste. The lady from the state referenced many pa waste water laws,
that referenced the safety of laundry grey water, and one researcher
commented how laundry water is always contaiminated with fecal waste
bacteria, more often than the house hold toliet.

Any there usually regulations against soapy water discharge from
properties?

No regs for just soapy water, since soapy water is a natural
insectiside and rocommended, but as posted up top, you water contains
more than soap.

There would be regs for soapy water from washing a car in some
watersheds.

Very Good point, I never investigated water shed issues, since I
believe I do not live in one.

later,

tom @ www.love-calculators.com

I asked her if I have a big tub in my back yard and wash the clothes
by hand and then pour the tub's water out later will it be legal
then, she said that "might" be acceptable. I don't understand...

"might" will get you a ticket. If a cop says something might be
lawful, and you do it and get ticketed, you will have no defense
saying a cop said, "it might be lawful".

hth,

tom

The Real Tom

On 27 Feb 2005 20:12:08 -0800, "Porky" wrote:

Yeah, I drove past a feedlot in California recently where there must
have been 10,000 cows defecating in an area the size of a city block.
Butt...there were no people living there, where there, who could handle
that stink? Cow**** is usually harmless, BTW, and so is grey water,
usually. Doesn't make it a good thing to pollute your neighbour's
alleyway with sudsy water. There are cities in the world where raw
sewage flows in open ditches down the street. Not healthy. Dig a small
pit in the backyard, (set the sod aside so you can reuse it, and shovel
the dirt onto a tarp).
If your drain is plugged there are ways to unclog it without ripping it
out.

JohnK

This is wierd, but I once heard from some college-boy, waste from a
herbivore is almost safe compared to that of a omnivore/carnivore.

later,

tom @ www.BookmarkAdmin.com

Matt

Some might find Matty's grammar offensive, don't you think?

Who the **** died and made you protector of the world, you snivelling
little bitch?

Your best bet is to continue growing your kiddie porn collection, and
staying out of the advice giving business, dickhEaD.

ioc

Hmmmmmm... I'm not saying your wrong... but I would like to see the
regulation that refers to gray water as human waste in PA. It is my
understanding that it is (or was about 10 years ago) perfectly acceptable in
PA (unless superceded by local codes) to discharge gray water at least
(IIRC) 75 feet from any well and (IIRC) 25 feet from any septic tank and at
least (IIRC)100 feet from property lines when on a property exceeding 10
acres. I may not remember the distances any more, but I sure do remember
having to draw up a map showing exactly how far it was to all of these.

I might be wrong... but I don't think so as this was standard practice and
policy out here in the country. And if that were re-written... what would
they do when probably 3/4 of the farms in PA (and there are a lot) use gray
water discharge? I just read a whole bunch of stuff about the CleanWays deal
where they are going to look at us for where fertilizer and oils and such
are stored in relation to streams and run-off (and that's a *good* thing)
but I've never heard that they call gray water human waste in any regulation
here. In fact... there is so much clay here that makes perking difficult
that they almost discouraged putting the whole deal in the septic years ago,
although they now just won't issue any permits if perks aren't good.

This sounds like a local suburban/urban code as opposed to a state
regulation to me, but I certainly would be interested in seeing the actual
codes and dates enacted... and know how the hell they would go about forcing
3/4 of rural PA to change.

news
wrote:

[...]

Goedjn

Very Good point, I never investigated water shed issues, since I
believe I do not live in one.

There are two definitions of "watershed" in the US; one of them
is the area that drains into a specific body of water, (usually
a river). The other is wrong. But the word is used as a synonym
for "divide", as in "the Great Divide", which (again, in the US)
names the border between the pacific watershed and the atlantic.

If your house is build on the ground, you live on a watershed.

--Goedjn

Kathy

"Dan C" wrote in message
Why do you still live there?

Family ties.

Dan C

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:54:24 -0500, Kathy wrote:

Why do you still live there?

Family ties.

Well, if it sucks as bad as you say, maybe it's time to cut the apron
strings? Where would we be if everyone thought that way, back in the Wild
West days...? Don't be scared.

Linux Registered User #327951

The Real Tom

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:01:13 -0500, "ioc" wrote:

Hmmmmmm... I'm not saying your wrong... but I would like to see the

I wish I was wrong, I just can't find the email. When I moved here(my
house in pa) in 2002 we had a slight drought conditions. That is when
I remember firing off the email. I can't find the email, but I
remember it did reference specific articles, and the lady told me
about some grey water having higher bacteria concentrations than some
black water sources.

I'll look, might be in another account.

later,

tom

wrote:

[...]

Kathy

"Dan C" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:54:24 -0500, Kathy wrote:

Why do you still live there?

Family ties.

Well, if it sucks as bad as you say, maybe it's time to cut the apron
strings? Where would we be if everyone thought that way, back in the Wild
West days...? Don't be scared.

**** you and apron strings. I stay in Jersey to look after my aging parents.
Back in the "Wild West" they would be dead by this age and I wouldn't be in
Jersey. The only thing that frightens me is them going into the care of the
state. You're stupider sounding than Matt.

Matt

Blow me, your dying parents, and the dip**** you invited to live in
your garage.

****.

Dan C

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:21:55 -0500, Kathy wrote:

Why do you still live there?

Family ties.

Well, if it sucks as bad as you say, maybe it's time to cut the apron
strings? Where would we be if everyone thought that way, back in the Wild
West days...? Don't be scared.

**** you and apron strings. I stay in Jersey to look after my aging parents.
Back in the "Wild West" they would be dead by this age and I wouldn't be in
Jersey. The only thing that frightens me is them going into the care of the
state. You're stupider sounding than Matt.

Damn, no need to get all hostile. Did I strike a nerve or something?
Wasn't trying to insult you..., just wondering why you stay in a place
that you think sucks.

Now, since you insulted me first, how about you just **** off yourself?
Quit being a little pussy bitch, and live your ****ing life, you goddam
moron. Parents getting old is a fact of life, dumb ass. Put 'em in a
home and get on with it. Quit hiding behind the fact that you're a scared
little bitch afraid to leave Mommy's side. Assuming you have a husband,
he's a pussy too, for letting someone dictate his life.

Assholes.

Linux Registered User #327951

Harry Everhart

There are two definitions of "watershed" in the US; one of them
is the area that drains into a specific body of water, (usually
a river). The other is wrong. But the word is used as a synonym
for "divide", as in "the Great Divide", which (again, in the US)
names the border between the pacific watershed and the atlantic.

A divide is the line that separates two watersheds.

The great divide separates the "pacific" watershed from the "atlantic"
watershed.

One time I peed on the great divide and half of the pee went west and
half went east :-)
The Real Tom

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:27:17 -0500, The Real Tom Tom @
www.WorkAtHomePlans.com wrote:

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:01:13 -0500, "ioc" wrote:

Hmmmmmm... I'm not saying your wrong... but I would like to see the

I wish I was wrong, I just can't find the email. When I moved here(my
house in pa) in 2002 we had a slight drought conditions. That is when
I remember firing off the email. I can't find the email, but I
remember it did reference specific articles, and the lady told me
about some grey water having higher bacteria concentrations than some
black water sources.

I'll look, might be in another account.

later,

tom

I still can't find the orginal email, but found some pa code, about
laundry discharge:

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/02...73/s73.11.html (look for
"laundry wastes")

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/02...hap243toc.html
(look for "laundry water")

http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/subje...91crproprm.pdf
(considers graywater laundering as sanitary sewage)

http://www.webdesignpros.net/consult...pticsystem.htm (not
code but look at the comment about "graywater is just as significant
as a pollutant source as blackwater") Might have been supplied with
the same professional comment about graywater I was.

hth,

tom

wrote:

[...]

The Real Tom

wrote:

While I am contemplating how to fix the drain problem with our washer, I
have connected the washer to a flex tube and discharge the laundry water out
the garage. The water runs across the back yard's concrete paver and end up
ponding a little in the back alley.

Apparently one of our neighbors complained to the city and they sent a code
inspector out and told us we had to stop doing it. I said this is temporary
and if I were to wash my car there it will have the same effect. She
couldn't quote me any specific violation but told me I have to stop
immediately.

Maybe http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/02...hap243toc.html

look for wash water

hth,

tom @ www.chopurl.com

Any there usually regulations against soapy water discharge from properties?
I asked her if I have a big tub in my back yard and wash the clothes by hand
and then pour the tub's water out later will it be legal then, she said that
"might" be acceptable. I don't understand...

Kathy

"Dan C" wrote in message
news
[...]

Some people don't have family or know how important it is.
Put them in a home. Is that what you are looking forward to?
What goes around comes around.
Except name calling. I won't drop myself to your level for that.
Have a nice day. I will.

Kathy

"Matt" wrote in message
ups.com...
Blow me, your dying parents, and the dip**** you invited to live in
your garage.

****.

I didn't say dying, I said aging. And ye, the kid still lives in the garage.
I don't have the heart to put him out yet. He's doing much better and is
almost his old self again. I'm glad I didn't do anything drastic. His mother
threw him away. I'm glad we gave him another chance to act respectable. My
husband is a good judge of people. You are not. Sorry I called you out from
under your bridge. Now go back.

Joseph Meehan

Harry Everhart wrote:
There are two definitions of "watershed" in the US; one of them
is the area that drains into a specific body of water, (usually
a river). The other is wrong. But the word is used as a synonym
for "divide", as in "the Great Divide", which (again, in the US)
names the border between the pacific watershed and the atlantic.

A divide is the line that separates two watersheds.

The great divide separates the "pacific" watershed from the "atlantic"

I believe that may be Gulf ?

watershed.

One time I peed on the great divide and half of the pee went west and
half went east :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Duane Bozarth

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Harry Everhart wrote:

The great divide separates the "pacific" watershed from the "atlantic"

I believe that may be Gulf ?

The Gulf (I assume you mean of Mexico) is attached to the Atlantic, not
the Pacific...

PaPaPeng

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 15:31:43 -0700, "RJ"
wrote:

If the wastewater comes from a toilet, it's SEWAGE ( black-water )

if it comes from a shower, sink, washer, etc.... it's GRAY WATER

In many places gray water is perfectly legal for lawns, gardens, etc.

Except during a prolonged drought when the watering of gardens is
banned. There is no way they can tell if its potable water or gray
water and they are not about to send out a inspector to check.
Therefore if your lawn looks refreshingly green because you had been
using gray water, watering is watering and you get fined for violating
the ban.

PaPaPeng

On 26 Feb 2005 20:49:31 -0800, "Porky" wrote:

Americans will eventually need to take water from Canadian rivers, and they will do
so, with or without consent.

That's why there is a Canadian federal law that bans the sale of bulk
water from Canada in spite of all the years lobbying from business
concerns on both sides of the border.

In some published fact source it is said that Canada has the largest
amount of fresh water resources on this planet. Shouldn't we share it
with our thirsty southern neighbor and make easy money too? Uhuh.

The long range view is that once the export of bulk water - rivers,
glaciers, icebergs - is allowed the demand from the US will be
insatiable. If bulk water becomes a tradable commodity it will be
very difficult to then restrict its trade without coming up against
free trade principles and probably against other ingenuous
interpretation of trade laws. Perhaps even leading to war and regime
change as Porky realizes.

The higher price water starved American cities , industries and farms
will be willing to pay will result in a even higher price of water to
Canadian consumers. If enough water is diverted from Canada whole
weather systems and ecosystems will be affected. America is indeed
super powerful in more ways than one.

I believe there is already one clear example from the Columbia River
that flows into the western US. The US has drawn so much water from
this river that it is affecting its source in the Canadian Rockies and
most of the salmon spawning streams have been degraded. There isn't
enough water in most years for the salmon to reach their traditional
spawning streams. But due to a bilateral agreement on the management
of the river Canada is not allowed to do anything witout US assent, to
hold back water to improve salmon spawning conditions although this
will improve immensely the health of the river.

Canada does not need to divert any of that water for its own use and
the amount involved is minimal and seasonal. To the Americans this
"control" is the first crack by Canadians to control their source of
water. The bilateral agreement turned out to be a bad deal for Canada
and it was suckered because no one thought of those issues at that
time. Fortunately in this instance only the salmon will suffer,
mainly the American salmon fisheries at that. But it is a very
poignant example to Canada about the management of water resources
that the US covets. A blanket ban prevents any insidious backdoor
breaches.

PaPaPeng

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 07:45:30 -0500, "Kathy"
wrote:

I didn't say dying, I said aging. And ye, the kid still lives in the garage.
I don't have the heart to put him out yet. He's doing much better and is
almost his old self again. I'm glad I didn't do anything drastic. His mother
threw him away. I'm glad we gave him another chance to act respectable. My
husband is a good judge of people. You are not. Sorry I called you out from
under your bridge. Now go back.

Wow kathy. Such spirit. Such passion. Such compassion. I would
really love to call a person such as youself a friend. Nope we'll
stay anonymous. Its just an expression of admiration and support.

Kathy wrote:

I've been following this thread with interest because in the

neighborhood
that I live in, there are more than a couple houses that I know of

that
discharge laundry water and sump pump discharge into the street. The
municipality won't stop it because they are the same people that

won't make
city-sewer available to this area of town. It's such an old

neighborhood
that some of the homes don't even have a septic "system", just a

cesspool.
The neighborhood was built as a seasonal escape from the city so a

cesspool
under an outhouse wasn't a problem. In fact indoor plumbing came

after the
oldest remaining homes had been built.

That sounds a lot like an area I almost moved into. Seasonal cottages
are now year-round residences with insulation and central heat,
bathrooms have been upgraded and added, and now the cesspools are
failing. It makes the houses very hard to sell unless the bank doesn't
require a septic cert, or the buyer is paying cash.

Some residents have added 55 gallon drums as drywells (mini cesspool)
for their laundry greywater, but such additions are not permissable.
Cesspools are no longer permissable in new systems, and the only
allowable repair to a grandfathered cesspool which cannot keep up with
the dwelling's output is replacement with a permissable system. The
lots are sloped except for the part where the house and cesspool are,
so there's no room for a conventional drainfield. The township is going
to have to run a pipe, seems almost no way out of it, or condemn the
area. Some of them might be able to get away with drip irrigation where
the slope is 30% or less. There's a school nearby that has an
evapotranspiration bed or something, maybe the residents and the school
could form an association to handle their combined problem.

%mod%

orangetrader wrote:
There are several ways to fix the problem, from riping up the kitchen

tile
and open a minimum 18" x 18" hole through the concrete slab and

replace the
PVC pipe from above - cost: $1750 + cabinet + tile + counter top
replacement, or trench a lateral tunnel 6 feet long from the side of

the
house and at least 7 feet deep to get under the 3' deep footing for

about
$3000 minimum, to other solutions. They are all tricky and they are

all
expensive. Why do you all assume this is a half day roll up your

sleeve and
do it solution?

You might want to check out these technologies:

http://www.zoompower.com/bursting.htm
http://www.perma-liner.com/lateral.html

I had the pipebursting one done. Replaced 10 ft of cast iron and 50 ft
of badly rooted terracotta. To have done it the "old way" would have
required losing some trees and shrubs, plus cost of relandscaping.

Both of those links above show a pit dug next to the house. In my case,
it made more sense to cut the slab floor of the basement so as to pass
the new pipe under the foundation. That was a 4 ft deep hole, as
opposed to 12' deep in the front yard.

To research this yourself, search terms are

sewer lateral
trenchless
no-dig
pipebursting
relining
cured-in-place liner
CIPP

in various combinations.

%mod%

CUSE

I never imagined this thread will create so much emotional responses.

Should I start another topic named "Discharging brown matter to back
alley"?

LOL.

Oscar_Lives

"FlavorFlav" wrote in message
news:1109810893.ef2791887b9c26473174a01da9919204@b ubbanews...
"CUSE" wrote in
ups.com:

I never imagined this thread will create so much emotional responses.

Should I start another topic named "Discharging brown matter to back
alley"?

LOL.

Discharging brown matter from you to your bathtub.

Discharging brown matter IN your bathtub: www.tubgirl.com

The Real Tom

On 2 Mar 2005 16:25:24 -0800, "CUSE" wrote:

I never imagined this thread will create so much emotional responses.

Should I start another topic named "Discharging brown matter to back
alley"?

If you change it to bad neighbors yard, you will get many replies.

:-P

LOL.

later,

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Thankless or Tankless hot water heaters [email protected] Home Repair 6 January 29th 04 03:01 AM
Flushing / Cleaning Hot Water Heater Help Needed Cuse Home Repair 38 December 1st 03 02:01 AM
Grounding Rod Info Mark Wilson Home Repair 37 July 19th 03 02:34 PM