EggRaid

Default Weed -n- Feed

I fired TruGreen because the ended up killing my grass rather than making it
beautiful.

I want to do this myself and bought a broadcast speader and a bag of weed 'n
feed.

The instructions tell me how to apply it, but not the frequency or WHEN.

So I ask:

When do I apply this ( I live in San Antonio, Tx, and have St. Augustine
grass)
And
How frequently do I do it?

Thanks

ER

Clark Griswold

http://www.scotts.com

Your welcome....

Joseph Meehan

EggRaid wrote:
I fired TruGreen because the ended up killing my grass rather than
making it beautiful.

I want to do this myself and bought a broadcast speader and a bag of
weed 'n feed.

The instructions tell me how to apply it, but not the frequency or
WHEN.

So I ask:

When do I apply this ( I live in San Antonio, Tx, and have St.
Augustine grass)
And
How frequently do I do it?

Thanks

ER

Rule #1. Most of the time the best time to apply weed control is not
the best time to apply the feed. Combination products are seldom your best
bet.

Sorry you are not in my area so my guess as to the best time is going to
be worthless. However you do have a local county extension service and they
can help you out with really good local information.

I recommend that you do not follow the instructions on the packages.
Those instructions are designed to sell product, not give you the best lawn.
Most often those instructions and products are designed to give you a quick
green burst, but not a lasting healthy lawn.

A soil test would not be a bad idea. The county extension office can
help you out there, they may even tell you it is not needed due to the
uniformity of the area. They don't make a profit off you so they will give
you good advice.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Bob S.

EggRaid wrote:

I fired TruGreen because they ended up killing my grass rather than

making it
beautiful.

I want to do this myself and bought a broadcast speader and a bag of

weed 'n
feed.

ER

If TruGreen killed your grass, it's dead! Why fertilize dead grass???

Rolling Thunder

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 00:32:52 GMT, "EggRaid"
wrote:

I fired TruGreen because the ended up killing my grass rather than making it
beautiful.

I want to do this myself and bought a broadcast speader and a bag of weed 'n
feed.

The instructions tell me how to apply it, but not the frequency or WHEN.

So I ask:

When do I apply this ( I live in San Antonio, Tx, and have St. Augustine
grass)
And
How frequently do I do it?

Thanks

ER

St. Augustine in Texas! You sure it's not Bermuda?
I suspect the weed and feed you're using is incompatible with St.
Augustine, if that is what you have. Check the labels on the
weed and weed. Most are good for fiscue, bermuda, and
kentucky blue.

Thunder

Norminn

EggRaid wrote:
I fired TruGreen because the ended up killing my grass rather than making it
beautiful.

I want to do this myself and bought a broadcast speader and a bag of weed 'n
feed.

The instructions tell me how to apply it, but not the frequency or WHEN.

So I ask:

When do I apply this ( I live in San Antonio, Tx, and have St. Augustine
grass)
And
How frequently do I do it?

Thanks

ER

I live in Florida, have St. Augustine. Worked hard with hubby for two
years to rehab a badly neglected lawn in our condo. In general, weed
and feed products are not a good choice, and certainly not good for
continuous use. If a lawn is full of broadleaf weeds, a broadleaf weed
killer is best to use when the lawn has been fertilized and watered
properly, and not under stress from heat or lack of water. Your county
or state probably has an extension service website, and experts on hand
to help identify weeds and other lawn problems. The best, most cost
effective plan is to first learn how to water and cut the grass
properly, as that is the best weapon to fight weeds, disease and insect
problems.

We first used Weeb b' Gone for Southern Grasses, by Ortho. Seems like
it was specifically safe for SA grass. Some products are ok for SA, but
not for Floratam variety. I think that Ortho has changed their
formulations, and sell a variety of similar products for southern
grasses. Some contain atrazine, which I believe is more toxic to
wildlife. Atrazine is useful as a pre-emergent for crab grass and
similar weed, but very specific as to timing of application and precautions.

Everything on a label is important, as to precautions and application.
One app. of a broadleaf weed killer should do the trick - after that,
proper maintenance and spot treatment often do the trick. Here is a
link to one Ortho prod., but local resources may have better information
about safe products, specific problems, etc. You will save time and
money, in the long-run, by learning good practices and being consistent.
http://www.ortho.com/index.cfm/event...cd4a25e6a1e49b

Phisherman

I don't ever recall buying a lawn product without this information.
Since I have no idea what you used, it might be wise to call the
manufacturer or visit their web site. Generally, weed and feed is not
beneficial to most lawns. I treat weeds, but I spot treat using a
garden sprayer, in the spring to early summer.

wrote:

I fired TruGreen because the ended up killing my grass rather than making it
beautiful.

I want to do this myself and bought a broadcast speader and a bag of weed 'n
feed.

The instructions tell me how to apply it, but not the frequency or WHEN.

So I ask:

When do I apply this ( I live in San Antonio, Tx, and have St. Augustine
grass)
And
How frequently do I do it?

Thanks

ER

ck

"Norminn" wrote in message

EggRaid wrote:
[...]

St. Augustine, when growing well, crowds out weeds, and obviates the need
for weed killer. Here in California, St. Augustine in dormant from October
through February. I notice that weeds have more opportunity to come up in
that period, but that ends when the grass comes out of dormancy.

I agree with those who suggest NOT using a weed-and-feed product.
Weed-and-feed is a victory of marketing over common sense and amount to an
indiscriminate use of pesticides. Why spread a pesticide everywhere,
regardless of whether there's a weed to be killed or not. Better to spot
treat the weedy areas and fertilize with an appropriate fertilizer.

For St. Augustine grass, the weed-and-feed weed killer is normally atrazine,
which also is harmful to the grass. To get around that problem, the "feed"
part is a fertilizer that is very high in soluble nitrogen, which helps
prevent the atrazine from doing too much damage -- but also results in leaf
growth without root growth and has the potential for excessive nitrogen
runoff into the water table. For Florida St. Augustine, the preference is
for a lawn fertilizer with low amounts of soluble nitrogen, and a ratio of
chemicals with the nitrogen (1st number) being no larger than 2x the second
number. Too much nitrogen will encourage soft leaf growth and make the
plant more vulnerable to attack by insects, fungus, etc.

The best readable reference is the Florida Yards and Neighborhoods (FYN)
handbook, which is available at the University of Florida website, at
http://hort.ufl.edu/fyn/handbook.pdf. If you're in Florida, see about
having your local FYN volunteer do a yard review -- if you meet their
standards you'll get recognized as having a "Certified Florida Yard."

wrote:

I fired TruGreen because the ended up killing my grass rather than making

it
beautiful.

I want to do this myself and bought a broadcast speader and a bag of weed

'n
feed.

The instructions tell me how to apply it, but not the frequency or WHEN.

So I ask:

When do I apply this ( I live in San Antonio, Tx, and have St. Augustine
grass)
And
How frequently do I do it?

Thanks

ER

johnny

Living in TX, you should've bought imported fertilizer. You just make the
call, a van pulls up, a dozen Mexicans jump out and **** all over your yard.
Presto, your yard is fertilized.