I agree with those who suggest NOT using a weed-and-feed product.
Weed-and-feed is a victory of marketing over common sense and amount to an
indiscriminate use of pesticides. Why spread a pesticide everywhere,
regardless of whether there's a weed to be killed or not. Better to spot
treat the weedy areas and fertilize with an appropriate fertilizer.

For St. Augustine grass, the weed-and-feed weed killer is normally atrazine,
which also is harmful to the grass. To get around that problem, the "feed"
part is a fertilizer that is very high in soluble nitrogen, which helps
prevent the atrazine from doing too much damage -- but also results in leaf
growth without root growth and has the potential for excessive nitrogen
runoff into the water table. For Florida St. Augustine, the preference is
for a lawn fertilizer with low amounts of soluble nitrogen, and a ratio of
chemicals with the nitrogen (1st number) being no larger than 2x the second
number. Too much nitrogen will encourage soft leaf growth and make the
plant more vulnerable to attack by insects, fungus, etc.

The best readable reference is the Florida Yards and Neighborhoods (FYN)
handbook, which is available at the University of Florida website, at
http://hort.ufl.edu/fyn/handbook.pdf. If you're in Florida, see about
having your local FYN volunteer do a yard review -- if you meet their
standards you'll get recognized as having a "Certified Florida Yard."

"Phisherman" wrote in message
I don't ever recall buying a lawn product without this information.
Since I have no idea what you used, it might be wise to call the
manufacturer or visit their web site. Generally, weed and feed is not
beneficial to most lawns. I treat weeds, but I spot treat using a
garden sprayer, in the spring to early summer.

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 00:32:52 GMT, "EggRaid"
wrote:

I fired TruGreen because the ended up killing my grass rather than making

it
beautiful.

I want to do this myself and bought a broadcast speader and a bag of weed

'n
feed.

The instructions tell me how to apply it, but not the frequency or WHEN.

So I ask:

When do I apply this ( I live in San Antonio, Tx, and have St. Augustine
grass)
And
How frequently do I do it?

Thanks