Dave

Default Painting Interior Wood Window Trim - Enamel or Latex?

Hello All,
I'm in the process of redoing a few rooms. The 1928 house has about 3
coats of paint on all of the interior wood trim. ( I assume lead on the
bottom coats). After spending months removing carpet, sanding, scraping
through six layers of paint, and staining the staircase, I"m looking
for an easier way to redo the windows rather than taking them all the
way back to wood.
If the paint is ok (not chiping, etc.) can I just do a light sanding so
smooth out the old brush strokes/small divets/etc from the existing
paint and repaint with a new color or do I have to strip and sand these
things all the way down. Between the six windows, the door trim and
baseboards, it would take me forever to strip all of the paint and
probably cost me my marraige.
Anyway, if I can do a light sand with say 100 or 150 grit and repaint,
what paint should I use - which might hold better w/o cracking -
enamel? Latex? other? Any advise on this project would be great.
Thanks,
David

ameijers

"Dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I'd do a few spot scrapings, just out of curiosity, to see if the casework
was cheap pine or decent hardwood. Personally, if it was hardwood, I'd take
it back to bare wood and stain, but that is just me. (Sometimes, you get
lucky, and original finish is intact under the paint- get one edge started
with a razor, and it comes off in sheets. Especially true in houses that had
oil heat, if they didn't clean the old wood enough.) Now if it was 'just'
pine or similar, unless it was some profile you couldn't fake with modern
off-the-shelf stock, I'd price out what new wood would cost. Assuming you
have a miter box and a coping saw, removing the old a few sticks at a time,
and replacing with new, might be less work (definitely less mess) than even
half-way refinishing the old stuff, like you propose. You can finish the new
stuff out in the garage, and just touch up the nail holes and such after
installation.

aem sends...

Bob Bowles

Oil based enamel would be what I'd use and our painter would refuse to
use anything else. Natural bristle brush preloaded with thinner prior
to dipping into paint toe avoid paint drying near the ferrule and
making bristles stiff and making the brush easier to clean.

On 21 Feb 2005 10:15:10 -0800, "Dave" wrote:

[...]

Baron

I would use a chemical stripper if I were doing the volume of
architectural stripping that you seem to be. Since you plan to paint, there
is no reason why the scuff sanding followed by paint wouldn't work. I would
use a primer first to ensure adhesion but that may not be necessary. I can
not remember which way is safe - oil on top of latex or visa versa. If you
go with latex, use an all acrylic latex, not one that contains any vinyl.
The all acrylic is a harder film although it is a bit more difficult to work
with.

Good Luck.

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

dadiOH

Bob Bowles wrote:
Oil based enamel would be what I'd use and our painter would refuse to
use anything else.

You have a good painter.

Latex is OK for walls but is impossible to sand. Anyone that paints
woodwork with it should be forced to try to sand it for all eternity.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Window trim Alexander Galkin Home Repair 2 September 3rd 04 10:02 PM
uPVC window trim adhesive Graeme UK diy 7 May 26th 04 01:58 PM
Circle window trim Fred Home Repair 2 October 28th 03 02:31 PM
Painting a sash window... Adam UK diy 5 September 10th 03 04:53 PM
Custom trim for round top window HerHusband Woodworking 3 September 8th 03 08:01 PM