Kyle Boatright

Default Reliable Studfinder

My significant other has decided she needs some fairly heavy items hung on
the walls. I'd really like to anchor these into studs if possible, and hate
playing "find a stud" by tapping the wall until the tone changes then
driving a skinny nail to see if my knuckle and ear were properly calibrated.

Anyone got a recommendation for a good stud finder? Cost is a factor here -
this won't be a tool I use that often.

Our walls are sheetrock over wood framing if that helps.

Thanks in advance,

KB

Ross Mac

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
My significant other has decided she needs some fairly heavy items hung on
the walls. I'd really like to anchor these into studs if possible, and
hate playing "find a stud" by tapping the wall until the tone changes then
driving a skinny nail to see if my knuckle and ear were properly
calibrated.

Anyone got a recommendation for a good stud finder? Cost is a factor
here - this won't be a tool I use that often.

Our walls are sheetrock over wood framing if that helps.

Thanks in advance,

KB

Here's a link
http://shopping.msn.com/marketplace....231&catId=2554

Zircon makes a good one......Ross

dadiOH

Kyle Boatright wrote:
My significant other has decided she needs some fairly heavy items
hung on the walls. I'd really like to anchor these into studs if
possible, and hate playing "find a stud" by tapping the wall until
the tone changes then driving a skinny nail to see if my knuckle and
ear were properly calibrated.

Anyone got a recommendation for a good stud finder? Cost is a factor
here - this won't be a tool I use that often.

Someone here a few days ago mentioned using the little "super
magnets"...just going around until they find nails/screws in the sheet
rock sheet rock to stick to. He said he then used a standard cheapo
stud finder to verify.

My cheapo stud finder wouldn't verify much of anything, gonna try just
the magnets next time I have a need.
..
--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Robert11

Hi,

Looks interesting.

Anyone know the principle it uses to find em ?

Bob
----------------------------------

"Ross Mac" wrote in message

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
My significant other has decided she needs some fairly heavy items hung
on the walls. I'd really like to anchor these into studs if possible,
and hate playing "find a stud" by tapping the wall until the tone changes
then driving a skinny nail to see if my knuckle and ear were properly
calibrated.

Anyone got a recommendation for a good stud finder? Cost is a factor
here - this won't be a tool I use that often.

Our walls are sheetrock over wood framing if that helps.

Thanks in advance,

KB

Here's a link
http://shopping.msn.com/marketplace....231&catId=2554

Zircon makes a good one......Ross

Murray Peterson

"Robert11" wrote in news:OKidnU3bLOSeg4ffRVn-
:

Anyone know the principle it uses to find em ?

http://home.howstuffworks.com/question271.htm

Ross Mac

"Ross Mac" wrote in message

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
My significant other has decided she needs some fairly heavy items hung
on the walls. I'd really like to anchor these into studs if possible,
and hate playing "find a stud" by tapping the wall until the tone
changes then driving a skinny nail to see if my knuckle and ear were
properly calibrated.

Anyone got a recommendation for a good stud finder? Cost is a factor
here - this won't be a tool I use that often.

Our walls are sheetrock over wood framing if that helps.

Thanks in advance,

KB

Here's a link
http://shopping.msn.com/marketplace....231&catId=2554

Zircon makes a good one......Ross

I believe the principle is a capacitve proximity switch....Another poster
left a link that will explain....Ross

Camilo

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
My significant other has decided she needs some fairly heavy items hung on
the walls. I'd really like to anchor these into studs if possible, and

hate
playing "find a stud" by tapping the wall until the tone changes then
driving a skinny nail to see if my knuckle and ear were properly

calibrated.

Anyone got a recommendation for a good stud finder? Cost is a factor

here -
this won't be a tool I use that often.

Our walls are sheetrock over wood framing if that helps.

Thanks in advance,

By a $20 stud finder. Avoid the magnetic ones - they don't work well (have
to be over a nail). I got a real Zircon studfinder after years of playing
the find the stud game and it's one of the handiest tools i've ever had.
You may think you're only going to use it once, but you'll be surprised
after a couple years go by how much you use it.

Camilo