Tony Hwang

Default Vegetable sprayer

Hi,
Our kitchen sink has one of this which never worked.
If I squeeze handle, faucet flow almost stops but no water
comes out the sprayer nozzle, jusyt dribble.
Can some one give me a pointer how this thing works?
Some kind of diverter valve under the sink? Is it fixable?
Not missing the working sprayer much, just curious.
TIA,
Tony
Jeff Wisnia

Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
Our kitchen sink has one of this which never worked.
If I squeeze handle, faucet flow almost stops but no water
comes out the sprayer nozzle, jusyt dribble.
Can some one give me a pointer how this thing works?
Some kind of diverter valve under the sink? Is it fixable?
Not missing the working sprayer much, just curious.
TIA,
Tony

Usually the diverter valve is a small piece unside the faucet assembly.

We had a similar problem with our kitchen sink spray nozzle a couple of
years ago.

I replaced the diverter valve with no improvement.

Turned out to be a simple problem. The rubber sealing washer between the
end of the hose and the spray nozzle had swollen so much that it was
strangling the flow. All I had to do is ream the center hole in that
washer larger and "Bob's your uncle". (Too bad I can't fix my 69 year
old prostate gland as easily myself.)

Try looking at the spray head first, It's usually removeable ftom the
hose by unscrewing a knurled fitting by hand. If you can get a good flow
from the hose when you open a faucet, the problems in likely in the
spray head otself, maybe something as simple as that swollen washer in ours.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Jeff Wisnia

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

There's some pictures he

http://www.homestore.com/HomeGarden/HomeImprovement/HowTos/HowTos/CRHO_RepairingSprayAttachments.asp?poe=homestore

I didn't directly answer your question regarding "how" they work. The
diverter valve acts as a "switch track" for the water flow and it's
designed with unbalanced areas exposed to water pressure. When the path
through the hose and spray head is open, water preferentially flows
through that patch and the valve closes off the path through the faucet
spout.

When working correctly the diverter valve has a toggling action. A small
amout of flow as through a clogged hose or spray nozzle won't flip it,
but once beyond a threshold flow the diverter valve "snaps" and closes
off flow through the faucet spout.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Colbyt

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Hi,
Our kitchen sink has one of this which never worked.
If I squeeze handle, faucet flow almost stops but no water
comes out the sprayer nozzle, jusyt dribble.
Can some one give me a pointer how this thing works?
Some kind of diverter valve under the sink? Is it fixable?
Not missing the working sprayer much, just curious.
TIA,
Tony

Unscrew the spray head from the hose (no tool normally needed). Point the
hose toward the drain and turn the water on. If water comes out the hose
the spay head is clogged. You can try soaking it in vinegar overnight or
just buy a new one.

If that doesn't work there is an obstruction where the hose exits the
faucet. Usually can be cleared with a flexible wire once the hose is
removed. Both problems are caused by sediment in the water supply and hard
water build-up.

Colbyt

Tony Hwang

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

There's some pictures he

http://www.homestore.com/HomeGarden/HomeImprovement/HowTos/HowTos/CRHO_RepairingSprayAttachments.asp?poe=homestore

I didn't directly answer your question regarding "how" they work. The
diverter valve acts as a "switch track" for the water flow and it's
designed with unbalanced areas exposed to water pressure. When the path
through the hose and spray head is open, water preferentially flows
through that patch and the valve closes off the path through the faucet
spout.

When working correctly the diverter valve has a toggling action. A small
amout of flow as through a clogged hose or spray nozzle won't flip it,
but once beyond a threshold flow the diverter valve "snaps" and closes
off flow through the faucet spout.

Jeff

Hi, Jeff
Thanks, something to do for the week end, hi.
Tony
(VE6CGX, Class of '65 EE, Fist #3919)

Stormin Mormon

If it's the same model as mine, the answer is this:

Remove the cap nut nut at the center of the spout pivot

Remove the spout (can't remember if you really have to)

Turn the water on slightly (either one) and a plastic and rubber cartridge
should lift out of the center where the spout went on

Tap the cartridge on the counter to remove specks of sand and dirt and such

Put the spout back on, and turn on one faucet, and then the other one to
flush out the system

Remove cap from spout pivot, and put the cartridge back in

Reassemble and test. Please let me know if th is does it for you.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Hi,
Our kitchen sink has one of this which never worked.
If I squeeze handle, faucet flow almost stops but no water
comes out the sprayer nozzle, jusyt dribble.
Can some one give me a pointer how this thing works?
Some kind of diverter valve under the sink? Is it fixable?
Not missing the working sprayer much, just curious.
TIA,
Tony

Safe to paint picky people's homes with air sprayer? ississauga Home Repair 21 December 11th 04 03:31 AM
paint sprayer for trim and walls in new addition dhess Home Ownership 1 September 8th 04 11:52 PM
HVLP Sprayer?? Ron A Woodworking 1 December 31st 03 09:02 AM
please help with HVLP sprayer question Duke Woodworking 3 December 27th 03 04:37 PM
sprayer for Sears Easy Living interior paint David Home Repair 2 July 7th 03 06:28 PM