ississauga

Default Safe to paint picky people's homes with air sprayer?

I have an airless sprayer and use it to paint homes. A custom home
builder asked if I want to paint the house he is building but was
surprised I paint with an airless sprayer. He thought painting is
always done with rollers.

Will the airless not paint as good as rollers do? These custom homes
are purchased by picky rich people from what I heard, so will the
paint job not be of a high quality when I am done? Are there things I
can do to improve the quality while using an airless?
SteveB

"ississauga" wrote in message
om...
I have an airless sprayer and use it to paint homes. A custom home
builder asked if I want to paint the house he is building but was
surprised I paint with an airless sprayer. He thought painting is
always done with rollers.

Will the airless not paint as good as rollers do? These custom homes
are purchased by picky rich people from what I heard, so will the
paint job not be of a high quality when I am done? Are there things I
can do to improve the quality while using an airless?

Airless sprayers are great, and I am a big fan of them. BUT, they leave a
lot of overspray. EVERYTHING has to be covered up or removed entirely. If
they are that picky, they won't like dried paint droplets on their "stuff".
For this type of job, I would go with brush and roller.

One can backroll behind a person spraying with an airless. I do it with a
big nappy sheepskin roller. This evens it out and gives it a good stipple.
It is a two man operation. But again, you will get paint everywhere that
isn't entirely covered. Takes more time to mask and cover than to just
brush and roll carefully. Just MHO.

Steve

lightbulb

Depends what you're doing with it. Definitely spray and backroll when you
prime the drywall; you can do the whole house in a day. Spray the trim
package with oil if it's painted...you'll get a factory-like finish if your
prep was good. Make sure your prep is impeccable as a spray finish will
make any imperfections stand out, esp. extra and/or crappy looking caulk and
nail holes that aren't filled properly. Keep in mind that the amount of
masking is incredible when spraying anything. SW sells flake resistant
plastic that you should use when spraying. Nothing ruins a good spray job
like paint flakes from your plastic. Spraying trim is standard protocol on
all the high end custom homes around here. Cut and roll the walls when its
time to paint them. When you mask your trim, leave the caulk showing. That
way your lines will be straight and you will have the solid wood to tape to,
as taping to caulk will result in much more paint getting under your tape
and horrible lines...which leads to a very aggravating cleaning and touching
up process. The neat thing with oil paint being used for the trim is that
you can very easily remove latex paint with denatured alcohol. On the plus
side, for all your attention to detail, you can charge $2.50-$3 more per sq.
ft. than on some 1500 sq. ft. ranch. If your builder has never seen sprayed
trim, he needs to start looking around a bit more at what other people are
doing. High-end builders around here insist on it.

Mike

"ississauga" wrote in message
om...
I have an airless sprayer and use it to paint homes. A custom home
builder asked if I want to paint the house he is building but was
surprised I paint with an airless sprayer. He thought painting is
always done with rollers.

Will the airless not paint as good as rollers do? These custom homes
are purchased by picky rich people from what I heard, so will the
paint job not be of a high quality when I am done? Are there things I
can do to improve the quality while using an airless?

xrongor

"ississauga" wrote in message
om...
I have an airless sprayer and use it to paint homes. A custom home
builder asked if I want to paint the house he is building but was
surprised I paint with an airless sprayer. He thought painting is
always done with rollers.

Will the airless not paint as good as rollers do? These custom homes
are purchased by picky rich people from what I heard, so will the
paint job not be of a high quality when I am done? Are there things I
can do to improve the quality while using an airless?

if you are concerned at all about 'picky rich people' i would simply pass on
the job. no matter what you do they may not be satisfied....

randy

D. Gerasimatos

In article t,
RickyE wrote:

Oh, those "picky rich people". I wonder if it's really those newly "I've
got more money now" people who think the world should kneel at their feet.

Just like when I go to the carwash. It's so funny. The owners of BMW 7
series, Mercedes S series, and other $65,000+ cars just get their cars and
go. The owners of "mid-luxury" cars do a walkaround and start pointing out
every nit and nat they can find and demand that the carhop quickly redo
their cars. Go figure--must seem like they have a sense of entitlement,
doesn't it?

Those other people are leasing and will be in a new car in a year or two.
Some of us actually plan on keeping our cars. *REALLY* picky people wash
their cars themselves.

Dimitri

Bob K 207

*REALLY* picky people wash
their cars themselve

I'm REALLY picking & I never wash my car or have it washed; except when it
rains.
David

with six you get...

David

G. Morgan wrote:

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 23:33:01 -0700 "David"
used 16 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

backroll.

eggroll

-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 05:37:09 +0000 (UTC), someone wrote:

Those other people are leasing and will be in a new car in a year or two.

No always. There is indeed something else going on here, also. An
acquaintance had the valet parking concession at a REALLY high end
event every year. The really rich folks, even those with classic cars
that were not likely leased, didn't have a qualm about having their
cars parked.

OTOH the few hoi polloi driving old bombs were the most irate, snotty
and suspicious, and didn't want anyone else touching their cars. I've
seen it myself - my teen stepson refused to go to events at a certain
club (not ours, a relative's) with his crappy Hyundai, when he heard
that there was valet parking there. I do not lease cars, yet I have
been to events there several times.

Well, this is getting OT.

-v.

D. Gerasimatos

In article , v wrote:

No always. There is indeed something else going on here, also. An
acquaintance had the valet parking concession at a REALLY high end
event every year. The really rich folks, even those with classic cars
that were not likely leased, didn't have a qualm about having their
cars parked.

OTOH the few hoi polloi driving old bombs were the most irate, snotty
and suspicious, and didn't want anyone else touching their cars. I've
seen it myself - my teen stepson refused to go to events at a certain
club (not ours, a relative's) with his crappy Hyundai, when he heard
that there was valet parking there. I do not lease cars, yet I have
been to events there several times.

How did this get from car washing to valet parking? The point I was trying
to make is that supremely wealthy people don't *have* to care. A
coworker's friend drives a $300K Bentley and some uninsured idiot hit him
causing $10K in damage. He didn't even attempt to litigate. ("Can't
squeeze blood from a turnip.") He just paid to fix the car. $10K is no
big deal to *him*. It's not that the wealthy people trust valets more or
trust car washes more. It's that they can handle whatever problems may
result, including (if it comes to it) litigation. You can bet your
bottom dollar that the guy who has to save for a few years to even
*finance* the Corvette he intends to drive for the next 15 years is going to
be much more irate when a valet/car wash scratches the hell out of it
in his first year of ownership.

There are lots of reasons people in expensive cars don't care as much
in addition to being wealthy enough to afford problems:

1. They want to be seen getting out of the car. Likewise, people in
beaters often *do not* want to be seen getting out of the car.

2. They don't want to look cheap by driving a $300K car and avoiding
a valet fee.

3. They want someone to watch over the car rather than park it on the
street. People in beaters don't really care if the car is on the
street.

4. They can afford it. Yes, sometimes poor people freak out when they have
to pay $20 + tip to park. That doesn't make them bad people.

5. Convenience. Walking through downtown in a fur coat and dripping in
diamonds isn't their idea of fun. The guy in khakis and loafers with a
plastic watch doesn't care as much.

There are probably more reasons.

Dimitri

Norminn

v wrote:
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 05:37:09 +0000 (UTC), someone wrote:

Those other people are leasing and will be in a new car in a year or two.

No always. There is indeed something else going on here, also. An
acquaintance had the valet parking concession at a REALLY high end
event every year. The really rich folks, even those with classic cars
that were not likely leased, didn't have a qualm about having their
cars parked.

They know they can make life miserable for the club/event manager for
the rest of his/her years if some kid scratches the car, and the manager
knows it, too.

OTOH the few hoi polloi driving old bombs were the most irate, snotty

They are angry - put the money they could have spent on a car into high
risk investment. Cost of success )

and suspicious, and didn't want anyone else touching their cars. I've
seen it myself - my teen stepson refused to go to events at a certain
club (not ours, a relative's) with his crappy Hyundai, when he heard

Because he goes to school with the kids who park cars and sees them peel
out of the parking lot every day ) His "crappy Hyundai" is his most
valuable posession, his image, his route to freedom and all that entails )

that there was valet parking there. I do not lease cars, yet I have
been to events there several times.

Well, this is getting OT.

-v.

I know a millionaire who sold his wife's used lipsticks at a garage
sale. Gross!!!!!!

I had a classmate in prep school whose German-born dad painted rich
folks homes - and got premium bucks for being meticulous - even got
written up in the NY Times for it. For most of my life, my godfather
(who spent half his ten navy years painting - that's what navy folks
do when bored) did a spotless job painting our house. Now he's old and
since he wouldn't let me learn, I make a mess. What I do recall tho,
is he used to drain the brush excessively. Of course, I use a sponge
spreader and finish ten times faster than he did.

- = -
Vasos-Peter John Panagiotopoulos II, Columbia'81+, Bio$trategist
BachMozart ReaganQuayle EvrytanoKastorian
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/vjp2/vasos.htm

I realize that I am jumping into this discussion a couple months late,
but it seems that there are some here who are knowledgable regarding
airless sprayers.

I recently bought the house next door for rental income. It has two
units that both need painting. I also hope to purchase more property
in the next couple of years. The tenents will not be super picky rich
people, nor will they be very low end. Pretty smack dab middle, about
$600 a month for a two bedroom. Here in Albany, there a lot of up and
coming young professionals, who come and go with the current
administration or sooner. I expext that average turnover would be
arournd two years.

So, is it practicle for me to buy a sprayer, and how much do I need to
spend. I've seen them from $20 to close to a thousand. I've got no
problem spending the lower end, but would hesitate before spending much
more.

Does it take a lot of practice? And if I am only going to do two units
once every couple of years is it worth it? Any suggestions on brands
or models, etc?

Regarding valet parking, I'd never let anyone park my car because I'd
be too embaressed at the smell of the spoiled milk soaked car seat and
my fast food wrappers on the floor. Plus I'm way too cheap to pay for
it.

Gwen

Phisherman

On 9 Dec 2004 10:38:19 -0800, "
wrote:

I realize that I am jumping into this discussion a couple months late,
but it seems that there are some here who are knowledgable regarding
airless sprayers.

snip

I saw a house that was spray painted supposedly by a professional
painter, but it was obviously a very poor job that can be seen from
the street. On closer inspection, there was overspray on things that
should not be painted. My personal preference is with a quality brush
($30) and paint roller.

willshak

On 12/9/2004 10:21 PM US(ET), Phisherman took fingers to keys, and typed
the following:

On 9 Dec 2004 10:38:19 -0800, "
wrote:

I realize that I am jumping into this discussion a couple months late,
but it seems that there are some here who are knowledgable regarding
airless sprayers.

snip

I saw a house that was spray painted supposedly by a professional
painter, but it was obviously a very poor job that can be seen from
the street. On closer inspection, there was overspray on things that
should not be painted. My personal preference is with a quality brush
($30) and paint roller.

It was probably done by one of the 'gypsy rover' groups that go house to
house and offer cheap painting and driveway coatings.
They use cheap materials (motor oil on driveway) and are in and out in
an hour. There qouted price is often jacked up at the end of the jog.
They usually target the elderly and are certainly not 'professionals'.
Banty

In article , Phisherman says...

On 9 Dec 2004 10:38:19 -0800, "
wrote:

I realize that I am jumping into this discussion a couple months late,
but it seems that there are some here who are knowledgable regarding
airless sprayers.

snip

I saw a house that was spray painted supposedly by a professional
painter, but it was obviously a very poor job that can be seen from
the street. On closer inspection, there was overspray on things that
should not be painted. My personal preference is with a quality brush
($30) and paint roller.

On the other hand, my house was spray-painted by a pro with the Ben Moore
exterior paint I chose. He and his team prepped the heck out of the job
(scraped a LOT), and it's still great after eight years. Four + days' prep, one
day's actual paint.

So, it sounds like the problem was with the prep, not the paint.

Banty

m Ransley

Spraying can be done right, Ive done evough of it. But little things
like wind can make it unsafe, ex. cars parked even 100 ft away. Done
right by a pro it will be fine.

i'm primarily thinking of painting inside the units. Anyone have any
experience with particular brands of sprayers. I'm thinking about the
.... uh... what was it. I think its the wagner paintcrew, or
something like that for about $200. It got good reviews on Amazon.com.
Gwen

m Ransley

It depends on how much use it will get, a 200$ sprayer may need repairs
at 50 gallons. A 900$ Titan should go 300 gallons. The old storey , you
get what you pay for. Cheap is Cheap.