John

Default Killing Grass Within Shrubs & Plants

All:

I would like to get rid of a great deal of grass that is growing amongst
my shrubs and plants outdoors. Is there a product (chemical) that I can
use to kill the grass without damaging the greenery I wish to keep?

Please advise.

Thanks,

John
Duane Bozarth

John wrote:

All:

I would like to get rid of a great deal of grass that is growing amongst
my shrubs and plants outdoors. Is there a product (chemical) that I can
use to kill the grass without damaging the greenery I wish to keep?

Several...any competent lawn/garden supply can provide...
m Ransley

No,
I use roundup and just cover what I dont want to kill

William W. Plummer

John wrote:

All:

I would like to get rid of a great deal of grass that is growing amongst
my shrubs and plants outdoors. Is there a product (chemical) that I can
use to kill the grass without damaging the greenery I wish to keep?

You didn't say where you live. If you are far enough north, you can
use "Preen" which is the same thing as a pre-emergent crabgrass killer.
It just prevents new sprouts. But if they are already there you need
a thick (3" or more) mulch. Another thing that works well is corn
gluten, but it's a bit pricey. Chemicals such as RoundUp and CleanUp
are too hard to control and you'll wind up killing your shrubs.
m Ransley

OK Duane name 2

Walter R.

Use Roundup. It kills the weeds/grass by their roots. That way they wont
come back to haunt you all summer.

Use a cardboard shield to prevent from getting it on your shrubs.

Buy the generic roundup (glysophate) at an agricultural supply dealer. Costs
about $ 100 for 2 1/2 gal. 41 % concentrate. Buy smaller quantities at HD.

--

Walter
The Happy Iconoclast www.rationality.net

"John" wrote in message
news
All:

I would like to get rid of a great deal of grass that is growing amongst
my shrubs and plants outdoors. Is there a product (chemical) that I can
use to kill the grass without damaging the greenery I wish to keep?

Please advise.

Thanks,

John

John

snip
You didn't say where you live.

Southern California

snip

Another thing that works well is corn gluten,

You've captured my interest. Please tell me more. How does it get
applied? Thanks.

E Gregory

m Ransley wrote:
OK Duane name 2

Ornamec, and Grass Getter. They're very nasty chemicals, but kill only
grasses and not broadleaf plants.

Eileen
(not Duane)
nonews

Yes, use Ortho Grass-B-Gone. It is a selective herbicide. It can be
sprayed over your plants without harm to them but it does kill true grasses.
Readily available at Wal-Mart, Home Depot and most garden centers/nurseries.
There are other brands but Ortho is most commonly found. Initially Ortho
had an extensive list of exceptions where it should not be used but they
seem to have dropped most of those exceptions. Read the label for usage
instructions.

"John" wrote in message
news All:

I would like to get rid of a great deal of grass that is growing amongst
my shrubs and plants outdoors. Is there a product (chemical) that I can
use to kill the grass without damaging the greenery I wish to keep?

Please advise.

Thanks,

John

E Gregory

John wrote:

snip

You didn't say where you live.

Southern California

snip

Another thing that works well is corn gluten,

You've captured my interest. Please tell me more. How does it get
applied? Thanks.

I've heard that this works, but have yet to try it. Have you tried it
with success? I have a feeling that the squirrels would eat it before
it could work at my house!
Eileen

John B

Have blowtorch, will travel.
Actually, I am glad to hear of "Grass-B-Gone" by Ortho. I didn't know there
was such a product. Sounds expensive. Sounds like it is worth it. Roundup
is expensive, too, and it's slow acting.

"John" wrote in message
news
All:

I would like to get rid of a great deal of grass that is growing amongst
my shrubs and plants outdoors. Is there a product (chemical) that I can
use to kill the grass without damaging the greenery I wish to keep?

Please advise.

Thanks,

John

Duane Bozarth

m Ransley wrote:

OK Duane name 2

I know of two general classes of selective grass-effective
herbicides--there may be others more recent. Ortho is one common
home-owner-available brand name that markets at least one--

I put the general response down as what will be available to OP will
depend on where he is/goes...

Aryloxyphenoxy Propionates (formerly Oxyphenoxy Acid Esters
Fusilade is the most widely used for postemergence control of both
perennial and annual grass weeds, over-the-top in broadleaved crops,
especially cotton and soybeans. (I believe this is the class in Ortho
Grass-B-Gone, but I'm not absolutely positive w/o looking it up).

Others of this same type are Whip, Acclaim, Verdict, Gallant, Hoelon and
Assure.

Cyclohexanediones -- Poast and Select/Prism.
William W. Plummer

John wrote:

snip

You didn't say where you live.

Southern California

snip

Another thing that works well is corn gluten,

You've captured my interest. Please tell me more. How does it get
applied? Thanks.

Google has plenty of info. Just sprinkle it on by hand. I used it on
my asparagus patch one year and it worked fine.

Bob Bowles

We were ready to tear out the Gazanias in parking strip because
Bermuda had invaded badly. Called local nursery to hear "Use
Grass-B-Gone" and we've been using it for close to 10 years. We don't
feel it's pricey as effective as it is. Doesn't take much.

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 15:39:47 -0800, "John B" wrote:

Actually, I am glad to hear of "Grass-B-Gone" by Ortho. I didn't know there
was such a product. Sounds expensive. Sounds like it is worth it. Roundup
is expensive, too, and it's slow acting.

Norminn

John wrote:
All:

I would like to get rid of a great deal of grass that is growing amongst
my shrubs and plants outdoors. Is there a product (chemical) that I can
use to kill the grass without damaging the greenery I wish to keep?

Please advise.

Thanks,

John

Pull out what you can, cover beds with 3-4" mulch, like shredded cypress.

GFRfan

John wrote:
All:

I would like to get rid of a great deal of grass that is growing amongst
my shrubs and plants outdoors. Is there a product (chemical) that I can
use to kill the grass without damaging the greenery I wish to keep?

Please advise.

Thanks,

John

I use Roundup. If you need to get real close to the shrubs, I use a
rubber chem glove, and then take one of those fuzzy white work gloves,
soak it with the roundup, put it over the chem glove and rub it on the
weeds and grass you want to eliminate. Of course you can use cardboard
or plastic as a barrier so you don't get any on the shrubs. Then use
something like Preen or another preemergent in the area to stop further
growth.
Norminn

GFRfan wrote:
John wrote:

All:

I would like to get rid of a great deal of grass that is growing amongst
my shrubs and plants outdoors. Is there a product (chemical) that I can
use to kill the grass without damaging the greenery I wish to keep?

Please advise.

Thanks,

John

I use Roundup. If you need to get real close to the shrubs, I use a
rubber chem glove, and then take one of those fuzzy white work gloves,
soak it with the roundup, put it over the chem glove and rub it on the
weeds and grass you want to eliminate. Of course you can use cardboard
or plastic as a barrier so you don't get any on the shrubs. Then use
something like Preen or another preemergent in the area to stop further
growth.

If I have a tough weed in healthy grass or too close to plants to spray,
I use a cheap paint brush with Roundup. Great for really nasty,
stubborn stuff like asparagus vine and dandylions. ) Folks in Floria
like to plant invasive houseplants in the landscape so's they cover the
planet.