Matt

Default How hard to replace kitchen sink?

It's a DIY job for sure.. but you will probably be going to the
hardware store a few times. Mount the faucet to the new sink before
your install the sink..... make sure to use plenty of plumbers putty on
the faucet, and on the drain escutcheons.

Everything you mentioned comes with instructions... I'd say go for it.

I to am a bit handy but got stuck with no sink for an afternoon and
eventually had to call a plumber to complete the job. The old dual tub
sink of course came out no problem! New sink fit right into old cut
out, faucet installation was easy, disposal no problem, the problem I
ran into was the drains on the new sink. On the old sink they were in
the middle of the old the sink, the new sink they were offset and to
the back! No matter how many trips to Home Depot I could not get the
correct fittings/angles to line the old pipes up with the new drain
holes.
Anyway plumber came and did it in about 1/2. Luckily I was able to get
a plumber to come the same day.

Felix

Matt wrote:
It's a DIY job for sure.. but you will probably be going to the
hardware store a few times. Mount the faucet to the new sink before
your install the sink..... make sure to use plenty of plumbers putty

on
the faucet, and on the drain escutcheons.

Everything you mentioned comes with instructions... I'd say go for

it.

Robert Barr

In all likelihood, this will be easier than replacing just the fittings.
You'll be working with almost everything nice & new. Anything old &
crabby & corroded can be destroyed without mercy.

Provided you're using PVC for the drains, it should be borderline fun.
Borderline. A patient assistant could come in handy from time to time.

(Installing the actual disposal mounting bracket in the sink will
definitely take 2 people (or else a set of weights) to hold the fitting
down while you work from underneath. It's not hard, but it's clumsy.)

Airkings wrote:
I'm looking at replacing an older double sink with a new sink, faucet,
disposal, and fittings. How hard to do this on my own? I'm relatively handy,
but afraid of getting stuck in the middle of the job, and no sink to use!!
(My wife would NOT be happy

Kathy

"Airkings" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'm looking at replacing an older double sink with a new sink, faucet,
disposal, and fittings. How hard to do this on my own? I'm relatively

handy,
but afraid of getting stuck in the middle of the job, and no sink to use!!
(My wife would NOT be happy

You posted 6 hours ago. Are you done yet?

Greg G

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 17:35:04 GMT, "Airkings"
wrote:

I'm looking at replacing an older double sink with a new sink, faucet,
disposal, and fittings. How hard to do this on my own? I'm relatively handy,
but afraid of getting stuck in the middle of the job, and no sink to use!!
(My wife would NOT be happy

I'm generally in favor of doing things yourself. But...

I put in a new sink a year ago or so. In fact I replaced the base
cabinets also. It was the end of my kitchen remodel job and I was a
little apprehensive about getting the old cabinets out, new ones in
and the plumbing redone in one day, so I had a VERY handy friend come
over. I'm lucky I did.

It took the two of us all day and part of the next, and without my
friend's expertise it wouldn't have gotten done at all. My house was
built in 1949. I don't know how much of the plumbing is original. We
needed to remove a reducing ell that connected the brass trap to a
short nipple. That nipple went into the wall, to the waste line. The
threads on that nipple were badly damaged; we wouldn't have been able
to securely reattach the reducing ell.

We devoted a fair potion of that afternoon to removing that nipple. It
involved a torch, pipe wrenches, wd-40 and a hell of a lot of
patience. If we had not been able to remove it or worse, had damaged
the threads inside the wall, I'd have had a heck of a plumbing job,
not to mention wall repair.

I've been told since that you shouldn't try to replace any plumbing
unless you're prepared to replace "all" of it. I assume this doesn't
mean the whole house, but the whole general area. I think if the stuff
you're going to touch is pretty new, you'll be OK. But if some of it
is old...

Good luck.

Greg Guarino

ck

ink.net...

--
x-no-archive: yes

Dave

Sinks are easy to install provided they are "drop-in" or even undermounted.
If you have "tiled-in" sink you are in for a job.

Unknown

Assuming not tiled in, make sure you get all the tools/supplies before you
start.
Go to home depot/lowes and have someone tell you what you will need.
Always get more than you need and the "might need that" items, you can
always return them.
Best to have a second pair of hands around when doing it to help.
When my brother and i replaced our moms sink it took about 4-6 hours.
Of course an experienced person could do it in an hour.
Get a few towels before you start since your gonna have some small leakage.
Also get a nice comfy towel to lie on while under the sink.

This is a weekend job and not a "let me knock this out before "Desperate
housewives" comes on.
It is a pretty easy job.

"ck" wrote in message

"Airkings" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'm looking at replacing an older double sink with a new sink, faucet,
disposal, and fittings. How hard to do this on my own? I'm relatively

handy,
but afraid of getting stuck in the middle of the job, and no sink to
use!!
(My wife would NOT be happy

--
x-no-archive: yes

Dave

Sinks are easy to install provided they are "drop-in" or even
undermounted.
If you have "tiled-in" sink you are in for a job.

T.D. Hilton

Good response but I'd say "Definitely" get a second set of hands. You'll
have a time when you're on your back under the counter and will need
something picked up, turned on, turned off, dropped in, lifted out, or dial
9-1-1 (just kidding).

It's a time intensive job, not a difficult one. My Father and I did my
kitchen sink on a Saturday. Took longer cause I didn't have all the "you may
need this" parts and supplies so I had to keep going back to the "Depot".

Just make sure you have ALL the tools/parts/supplies you will/might need
before you get started and give yourself plenty of time and you'll be fine.

Troy

Assuming not tiled in, make sure you get all the tools/supplies before you
start.
Go to home depot/lowes and have someone tell you what you will need.
Always get more than you need and the "might need that" items, you can
always return them.
Best to have a second pair of hands around when doing it to help.
When my brother and i replaced our moms sink it took about 4-6 hours.
Of course an experienced person could do it in an hour.
Get a few towels before you start since your gonna have some small

leakage.
Also get a nice comfy towel to lie on while under the sink.

This is a weekend job and not a "let me knock this out before "Desperate
housewives" comes on.
It is a pretty easy job.

"ck" wrote in message

ink.net...