Greg G

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 17:35:04 GMT, "Airkings"
wrote:

I'm looking at replacing an older double sink with a new sink, faucet,
disposal, and fittings. How hard to do this on my own? I'm relatively handy,
but afraid of getting stuck in the middle of the job, and no sink to use!!
(My wife would NOT be happy

I'm generally in favor of doing things yourself. But...

I put in a new sink a year ago or so. In fact I replaced the base
cabinets also. It was the end of my kitchen remodel job and I was a
little apprehensive about getting the old cabinets out, new ones in
and the plumbing redone in one day, so I had a VERY handy friend come
over. I'm lucky I did.

It took the two of us all day and part of the next, and without my
friend's expertise it wouldn't have gotten done at all. My house was
built in 1949. I don't know how much of the plumbing is original. We
needed to remove a reducing ell that connected the brass trap to a
short nipple. That nipple went into the wall, to the waste line. The
threads on that nipple were badly damaged; we wouldn't have been able
to securely reattach the reducing ell.

We devoted a fair potion of that afternoon to removing that nipple. It
involved a torch, pipe wrenches, wd-40 and a hell of a lot of
patience. If we had not been able to remove it or worse, had damaged
the threads inside the wall, I'd have had a heck of a plumbing job,
not to mention wall repair.

I've been told since that you shouldn't try to replace any plumbing
unless you're prepared to replace "all" of it. I assume this doesn't
mean the whole house, but the whole general area. I think if the stuff
you're going to touch is pretty new, you'll be OK. But if some of it
is old...

Good luck.

Greg Guarino