Robert11

Default "Nails" For Concrete, And Using Of Questions

Hello:

I want to nail some wooden 2x4's to the interior concrete foundation in my
garage to hang some hooks from, for holding shovels, etc.

I have seen some special "concrete nails" which I'm told can be driven into
the concrete, and will hold well.

What I'm wondering is:

a. Will these rather large nails damage the concrete, or more importantly
tend to "crack" it ?

b. Do they really tend to hold well ? (I guess most of the load would be
in shear, rather than
tension tending to pull them out)

c. How deep into the concrete do I want to go ?

d. Any brands of better than others ?

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:01:41 -0500 "Robert11"
posted:

Hello:

I want to nail some wooden 2x4's to the interior concrete foundation in my
garage to hang some hooks from, for holding shovels, etc.

I have seen some special "concrete nails" which I'm told can be driven into
the concrete, and will hold well.

What I'm wondering is:

a. Will these rather large nails damage the concrete, or more importantly
tend to "crack" it ?

b. Do they really tend to hold well ? (I guess most of the load would be
in shear, rather than
tension tending to pull them out)

I was thinking about a related question last night. I was nailing a
strip to my basement wall, made out of cinder blocks. And I was using
"cut nails", which iiuc is the right thing to use.

And they worked fine last night as always. But they are pretty smooth
and so triangular, so pointed and getting wider away from the point,
that I can't understand what holds them in. ??

(I think concrete is a lot harder than cinder block, so I'm not
recommending cut nails for your basement.)

--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
Colbyt

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

I want to nail some wooden 2x4's to the interior concrete foundation in my
garage to hang some hooks from, for holding shovels, etc.

I have seen some special "concrete nails" which I'm told can be driven

into
the concrete, and will hold well.

What I'm wondering is:

a. Will these rather large nails damage the concrete, or more importantly
tend to "crack" it ?

b. Do they really tend to hold well ? (I guess most of the load would be
in shear, rather than
tension tending to pull them out)

c. How deep into the concrete do I want to go ?

d. Any brands of better than others ?

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Bob, consider using tapcon screws with them you only need to penetrate the
concrete by 1".

HotRod

Old trick here or at least to me,if I plan on leaving it in place I use
regular galv. nails and copper grounding wire.

Drill a 5/32 hold in the concrete and wood then insert a piece of copper
wire with a little "L" hook on end so that as you drive the nail in the
copper doesn't get forced in. The copper will expand into the concrete walls
to hold the nail or screw. WARNING good luck getting it out if you ever
intend to, you will shear the nail before you ever pull it.

Nick Hull

In article ,
"Robert11" wrote:

Hello:

I want to nail some wooden 2x4's to the interior concrete foundation in my
garage to hang some hooks from, for holding shovels, etc.

I have seen some special "concrete nails" which I'm told can be driven into
the concrete, and will hold well.

What I'm wondering is:

a. Will these rather large nails damage the concrete, or more importantly
tend to "crack" it ?

Concrete block or poured reinforced concrete?

b. Do they really tend to hold well ? (I guess most of the load would be
in shear, rather than
tension tending to pull them out)

c. How deep into the concrete do I want to go ?

I'd SWAG about as deep as the 2x4

d. Any brands of better than others ?

My experience is that powder fired nails are much better than hammer
driven, both in holding power and lack of cracking.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

bill a

I wouldn't attempt to use the concrete nails that you drive with a common
hammer. Unless the
concrete is very new, the probability of getting a solid connect with a
given fastener is low.
If you don't wan't to get into the hammerdrill thing (like with Tapcons,
etc), you might
think about the powder tools (Ramset, Remington). The fastening is very
quick, pretty reliable,
the fractures are shallow. Generally, Liq Nails, etc. used in conjunction
on furring.
The only annoyance might be the depth of the pin (nail) head.
Due to the nature of concrete walls, some harder spots might cause shallower
penetration here
and there.
Bill

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

I want to nail some wooden 2x4's to the interior concrete foundation in my
garage to hang some hooks from, for holding shovels, etc.

I have seen some special "concrete nails" which I'm told can be driven
into
the concrete, and will hold well.

What I'm wondering is:

a. Will these rather large nails damage the concrete, or more importantly
tend to "crack" it ?

b. Do they really tend to hold well ? (I guess most of the load would be
in shear, rather than
tension tending to pull them out)

c. How deep into the concrete do I want to go ?

d. Any brands of better than others ?

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Goedjn

wrote:

Hello:

I want to nail some wooden 2x4's to the interior concrete foundation in my
garage to hang some hooks from, for holding shovels, etc.

I have seen some special "concrete nails" which I'm told can be driven into
the concrete, and will hold well.

What I'm wondering is:

a. Will these rather large nails damage the concrete, or more importantly
tend to "crack" it ?

I'd use glue to hold the board in against the wall, and only depend on
the nails to hold it up. Isn't the normal technique to make a hole,
stuff-the hole with something that will expand to fill the space, and
then drive the nail/screw into the stuffing?
Matt

YEAH! Plus, the liquid nails stuff has a groovy pic of some blond chick
in a cowboy hat and long white boots! I always liked that pic too. What
were the marketing folks thinking? Hmmmm.... what can we do to make
this glue fly off the shelves? I know! SEX! But, this is glue. How can
we make glue sexy? ... I know! A blond in a cowboy outfit!!! Nothing
screams SEXY like a girl dressed as a cowboy! Them builders will be
LINING UP FOR MILES to buy our glue!

One last question: Do you ever wonder, if in the entire history of
liquid nails and the sexy cowgirl, that some poor soul somewhere
visualized her while masturbating? Me either.

I also recommend the Tapcon. Go to a local hardware store (not HD or
Lowes) if you only need a few.

Mark and Kim Smith

Robert11 wrote:

Hello:

I want to nail some wooden 2x4's to the interior concrete foundation in my
garage to hang some hooks from, for holding shovels, etc.

I have seen some special "concrete nails" which I'm told can be driven into
the concrete, and will hold well.

What I'm wondering is:

a. Will these rather large nails damage the concrete, or more importantly
tend to "crack" it ?

b. Do they really tend to hold well ? (I guess most of the load would be
in shear, rather than
tension tending to pull them out)

c. How deep into the concrete do I want to go ?

d. Any brands of better than others ?

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

My preference is for deadheads. http://www.bunchobikes.com/pond143.jpg

Matt

Is that Jerry Garcia? Damn, he lost a lot of weight.... he's thin as a
board!

JerryMouse

Matt wrote:
YEAH! Plus, the liquid nails stuff has a groovy pic of some blond
chick in a cowboy hat and long white boots! I always liked that pic
too. What were the marketing folks thinking? Hmmmm.... what can we do
to make this glue fly off the shelves? I know! SEX! But, this is
glue. How can we make glue sexy? ... I know! A blond in a cowboy
outfit!!! Nothing screams SEXY like a girl dressed as a cowboy! Them
builders will be LINING UP FOR MILES to buy our glue!

One last question: Do you ever wonder, if in the entire history of
liquid nails and the sexy cowgirl, that some poor soul somewhere
visualized her while masturbating? Me either.

I'm impressed! You can type better with one hand than I can with two.

Matt

Years o' practice, Jerry my boy - years o' practice.

Mike

Use TapCons and make sure it's treated wood you are attaching to the
concrete. Untreated has a way of decomposing prematurely when in
contact with concrete. If you don't want to spend .25 per tap just
hammer drill a 1/4 hold and use 2 16P nails and slam them in together.
How deep? How deep is the concrete?

Heathcliff

The nail guns (e.g. Remington) are fun if you are into loud noise and
things that require safety goggles. They also work well and don't
crack the concrete too much. I put up 2X4 standards for shelves in my
basement that way. You can also drill holes and use tapcons or
whatever, but personally, I find drilling holes in concrete with a
homeowner type drill very tedious. Another option is to avoid
fastening the 2X4s to the wall altogether -- you may be able to attach
them to a wooden sill plate or joist at the top (using an angle iron or
strap) and just let them rest against the wall. When loaded with
shelves they will want to pull away at the top, and push in at the
bottom.

Nick Hull

In article . com,
"Heathcliff" wrote:

..........Another option is to avoid
fastening the 2X4s to the wall altogether -- you may be able to attach
them to a wooden sill plate or joist at the top (using an angle iron or
strap) and just let them rest against the wall. When loaded with
shelves they will want to pull away at the top, and push in at the
bottom.

I have some commercial standards with a hook on the top to dig into the
sill plate. Love them, hold lots of weight and are adjustable.