meirman

In alt.home.repair on Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:01:41 -0500 "Robert11"
posted:

Hello:

I want to nail some wooden 2x4's to the interior concrete foundation in my
garage to hang some hooks from, for holding shovels, etc.

I have seen some special "concrete nails" which I'm told can be driven into
the concrete, and will hold well.

What I'm wondering is:

a. Will these rather large nails damage the concrete, or more importantly
tend to "crack" it ?

b. Do they really tend to hold well ? (I guess most of the load would be
in shear, rather than
tension tending to pull them out)

I was thinking about a related question last night. I was nailing a
strip to my basement wall, made out of cinder blocks. And I was using
"cut nails", which iiuc is the right thing to use.

And they worked fine last night as always. But they are pretty smooth
and so triangular, so pointed and getting wider away from the point,
that I can't understand what holds them in. ??

(I think concrete is a lot harder than cinder block, so I'm not
recommending cut nails for your basement.)

c. How deep into the concrete do I want to go ?

d. Any brands of better than others ?

Any thoughts on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Meirman
--