Bob

Default One more question on the 1' short garage - below "Hate such builder"

Hi,

I went to measure the net space today. It turned out to be only 17' 6" net,
garage door closed, from inside of the door to the utility platform. My van
is 16' long bumper to bumper so there is only 18" clearance head and tail
combine. Can an average person with reasonable care park it on daily basis
without too much difficulties? I don't have such experience. Cannot try it
now because the driveway concrete is only one day old.

Your input is appreciated.

Bob

I R Baboon

just rig up one of the hanging tennis ball thingmagjiggers. have someone
guide you in, and when you are where you want to be. hang a tennis ball from
a string and make it so it just barely touches your windshield. when the
ball hits windshield, its time to stop. same result can come from a set of
chocks placed on the floor or even a 2x4

"Bob" wrote in message ...
Hi,

I went to measure the net space today. It turned out to be only 17' 6"

net,
garage door closed, from inside of the door to the utility platform. My

van
is 16' long bumper to bumper so there is only 18" clearance head and tail
combine. Can an average person with reasonable care park it on daily basis
without too much difficulties? I don't have such experience. Cannot try it
now because the driveway concrete is only one day old.

Your input is appreciated.

Bob

Joseph Meehan

Bob wrote:
Hi,

I went to measure the net space today. It turned out to be only 17'
6" net, garage door closed, from inside of the door to the utility
platform. My van is 16' long bumper to bumper so there is only 18"
clearance head and tail combine. Can an average person with
reasonable care park it on daily basis without too much difficulties?
I don't have such experience. Cannot try it now because the driveway
concrete is only one day old.
Your input is appreciated.

Bob

Get a "SmartPark" pad and glue it down to a clean floor. The ball idea
I R suggested also works, but I like the pad better. BTY put a recycle
container or even an empty cardboard box in place at the end of the garage
to remind you if you overshoot a little.

http://www.superiorcarcare.net/parsmargarac.html

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

xrongor

i believe nowadays in this newfangled century, they even make electronic
devices just for this purpose. both ones that use a light beam across the
path which will be broken when the tires pass it, and ones that use a
'radar' type system that senses how far the car is from the wall. pull
forward til you hear the beep.

not that they work any better than the tennis/wiffle/whatever ball
method....

randy

"Bob" wrote in message ...
Hi,

I went to measure the net space today. It turned out to be only 17' 6"

net,
garage door closed, from inside of the door to the utility platform. My

van
is 16' long bumper to bumper so there is only 18" clearance head and tail
combine. Can an average person with reasonable care park it on daily
basis
without too much difficulties? I don't have such experience. Cannot try
it
now because the driveway concrete is only one day old.

Your input is appreciated.

Bob

Doug Miller

In article 1107176066.7c59d379d775ad613247fe123e0f6378@bubba news, Marina wrote:
My husband got our truck into the garage. With the door closed there was
hardly even 1 inch space. He had to creep it in there and get the bumper
directly onto the studs w/o smashing anything.

For my car, it was too long for the garage. He notched out 2 studs for the
bumper to fit into to be able to get the whole car inside.

Why did you buy a house with such a small garage?
David Martel

Bob,

I think you need to speak with the builder before you close on this
house. It seems to me that it will be very hard for you and any passengers
to walk in front of or behind your van when it is in the garage. Thus you
will be loading and unloading in the driveway. Moving the van every time you
want to take out the trash or get to stored stuff is going to become really
annoying.
Adding a "bump out" at the door end to give you 1 or 2 more feet is easy
and shouldn't break the builder's company. It's his problem, it's not
acceptable, and he needs to fix it.

Dave M.

JerryMouse

Marina wrote:
For my car, it was too long for the garage. He notched out 2 studs
for the bumper to fit into to be able to get the whole car inside.

Why did you buy a house with such a small garage?

Or, why not trade in the truck for a smaller one?

Let's see, last time I looked this was a group for offering
experiences about how we got around problems and not a wise cracking
group on personal choices. If you want to be the wise guy, then
you'll just be ignored. Marina

Lighten up. I was going to suggest your husband remove the truck's bumpers.

Sam O'Nella

xrongor wrote:
i believe nowadays in this newfangled century, they even make
electronic devices just for this purpose.

Tennis ball: $1, very reliable and will even work during a power outage.

JimL

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 14:21:25 GMT, Marina wrote:

(Doug Miller) wrote in
. com:

Marina wrote:
My husband got our truck into the garage. With the door closed there
was hardly even 1 inch space. He had to creep it in there and get the
bumper directly onto the studs w/o smashing anything.

For my car, it was too long for the garage. He notched out 2 studs
for the bumper to fit into to be able to get the whole car inside.

Why did you buy a house with such a small garage?

Let's see, last time I looked this was a group for offering experiences
about how we got around problems and not a wise cracking group on personal
choices. If you want to be the wise guy, then you'll just be ignored.
Marina

Lighten up!

You take yourself way too serious.

PJ

Bob

These are all great ideas but I am looking for that figure - the mininum
clearance for an average person to park it without undue difficulties.

"Sam O'Nella" wrote in message
xrongor wrote:
i believe nowadays in this newfangled century, they even make
electronic devices just for this purpose.

Tennis ball: $1, very reliable and will even work during a power outage.

bumtracks

myX had no problem with about the same clearances - not enough room to scoot
behind it at all but you could just barely squeeze your legs past her
front bumper - she never complained.

I used to back a boat into a garage at an angle so its motor would end up in
a door regress and had no room to spare at the trailer tongue - so it had
fractional inches of clearances and I don't recall dicking around with it
often.

"Sam O'Nella" wrote in message
xrongor wrote:
i believe nowadays in this newfangled century, they even make
electronic devices just for this purpose.

Tennis ball: $1, very reliable and will even work during a power outage.

Greg O

"Bob" wrote in message ...
Hi,

I went to measure the net space today. It turned out to be only 17' 6"
net, garage door closed, from inside of the door to the utility platform.
My van is 16' long bumper to bumper so there is only 18" clearance head
and tail combine. Can an average person with reasonable care park it on
daily basis without too much difficulties? I don't have such experience.
Cannot try it now because the driveway concrete is only one day old.

Your input is appreciated.

Bob

I am surprised that anyone would build a garage less than 24 feet deep!
My garage is 38 feet deep and it is too small!
Greg

Greg O

"Bob" wrote in message ...
Hi,

I went to measure the net space today. It turned out to be only 17' 6"
net, garage door closed, from inside of the door to the utility platform.
My van is 16' long bumper to bumper so there is only 18" clearance head
and tail combine. Can an average person with reasonable care park it on
daily basis without too much difficulties? I don't have such experience.
Cannot try it now because the driveway concrete is only one day old.

Your input is appreciated.

Bob

I went back and read your first post, I would be ****ed!
I don't know what recourse you would have, but if the plans clearly stated a
24 foot deep garage I would be asking the builder what he plans to do about
it!
For me it would be a MAJOR aggravation!
Greg

MUADIB®

Let's see, last time I looked this was a group for offering experiences
about how we got around problems and not a wise cracking group on personal
choices. If you want to be the wise guy, then you'll just be ignored.
Marina

You Haven't been keeping watch on Matt Lately have you?

Wise asses are abundant here, always will be , I am certain. But Your
input was definitely heard, and now you can be certain it was heard,
because someones wise ass comment makes it apparent. How better to
determine if your post hit the servers?

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.
Here to there

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:45:07 -0800, Bob wrote:
These are all great ideas but I am looking for that figure - the mininum
clearance for an average person to park it without undue difficulties.

Who cares what the "average person" can do? The only relevant
person in this case is you. How are we supposed to know if you're
above or below average?

- Rich

xrongor

"Here to there" wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:45:07 -0800, Bob wrote:
These are all great ideas but I am looking for that figure - the mininum
clearance for an average person to park it without undue difficulties.

Who cares what the "average person" can do? The only relevant
person in this case is you. How are we supposed to know if you're
above or below average?

if you cant handle an 18" clearance with a hanging tennis ball (or any even
1/2 ass attempt to mark a stopping point), its time to put the keys away and
give up driving before you kill someone. if you cant figure this out,
you're either not trying or, again, should give up the keys before you kill
someone.

better yet. conduct the 'brady' test. you know, like in that episode where
greg and marsha had that contest over who was the better driver. they put
the egg on the cone and see how close they could park without hitting it.

randy

xrongor

My husband got our truck into the garage. With the door closed there was
hardly even 1 inch space. He had to creep it in there and get the bumper
directly onto the studs w/o smashing anything.

For my car, it was too long for the garage. He notched out 2 studs for
the
bumper to fit into to be able to get the whole car inside.

life is too long to live with a bull**** parking situation. i swear i know
some people that live on a hill, down a short steep driveway after you turn
off the steep hill, with concrete walls on both sides so close you cant even
open the doors, going really slow so you dont bottom out, with a garage that
has 1" of clearance. i guess some people just like to punish themselves.

randy

Michael Baugh

I know a couple that has a 4 1/2" leeway. He hung a couple
sections of conduit down, connected together by another section.
Then he put a microswitch on both of the hanging arms, with an alarm powered
by garage current.
When the bumper pushes it, the driver knows.

I prefer my way better. Tall road cone, when the car pushes it,
it's obvious. I've got 8 feet more space in front, but that's for my
workbench, not a car.

"xrongor" wrote in message
they put
the egg on the cone and see how close they could park without hitting it.

randy

Matt

So, what are you saying? Surely you don't suggest that I have ever
offered anything but the most sincere in replies to the poor beleguared
homeowner? Sir, I must challenge you to a duel!

MUADIB®

So, what are you saying? Surely you don't suggest that I have ever
offered anything but the most sincere in replies to the poor beleguared
homeowner? Sir, I must challenge you to a duel!

Alright Mountain man!............Get out your Banjo, and Let's get
this thing going,..........Musically Plucking Guitar strings

http://www.topeuro.co.uk/blagger/the_duel.html

tapping foot ,........waiting patiently