Fr@nk

Default Heat pump icing up

Hello. I have a 12 year old Bryant heat pump (3 ton 661A model) that gets
covered with ice a few times during the winter. It's done it twice so far
this winter. It obviously has something to do with the unit not defrosting
properly, but the HVAC guy I've had out to check it out (several times)
always shows up just after I've defrosted it (by just letting it thaw out).
Since it's not iced up while he's there, he says he can't check out the
defrost control board(?) or other things that could be bad and causing the
problem.

I've read a couple of web posts describing this same model heat pump, and
the person said he replaced the defrost control board, which fixed his
problem. He also mentioned the reversing valve, but ended up not needing to
replace that. Are these parts things a tech should be able to swap in and
out easily? Or are they expensive?

I do notice this unit making a clicking sound (rhythmically, every second or
two) every once in a while. But usually it sounds pretty normal. Could the
clicking be related to the defrosting/reversing thing?

Since the heat pump is 12 years old, could it be close to the end of its
useful life? It'd be a shame, since it seems to do a good job of heating 95%
of the time; it's just the iced-up times that make me need the aux heat for
a day or two to defrost it. Any advice? Thanks.

Bubba

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:41:02 -0500, "Fr@nk"
wrote:

[...]

Stop defrosting the thing manually and let the guy see it for himself.
Then he can tell you, "Hey, I cant work on this. Its full of ice".
Id rather it not have ice on it when I come. Otherwise, I have to
charge you $75 per 1/2hr to thaw it out. I let my customers know that
BEFORE I show up. The board CAN be checked out. So can the defrost
sensor which Id recommend changing if you change the board.
Yes other things can cause it.
Bad board
Bad sensor
Stuck/Sticking reversing valve
Incorrect refrigerant charge
Outdoor fan not running.
Outdoor fan running backwards
Bad capacitor
Blah, Blah, Blah and on and on.
Is it expensive? Thats relative. Whats expensive to you? Are you
getting the part at wholesale and fixing it yourself or are you
calling a professional out to fix it?
I dont know about the clicking. Maybe you could hum a few tunes for
me.
12 yrs is not young for a heat pump. Especially that Bryant 661.
8-12 yrs is a general age for heat pumps but Ive certainly seen some
GE's out there that are over 25 yrs old. Ive also seen some Bryant
crap barely make the 5-6 yr mark before crapping out.
Get and estimate and fix it or replace it.
Bubba
PrecisionMachinisT

"Fr@nk" wrote in message
[...]

In a pinch you can force the condensor to defrost by putting the stat into
cooling mode and setting the inside temp to about 40 degrees.....the ice
should all melt off it in about ten minutes doing it that way. Cold air will
blow out the registers while that is happening.

Or you can just shut it off and melt the ice by spraying lots of cold water
on the coils with an outside garden hose, really no reason to 'wait 2 days'
for it to defrost.......

Most defrost boards will have a jumper selector for timer......30 minutes 60
minutes and 90 minutes--suggest have a tech set it to 30 minutes for the
time being.

--

SVL

HvacTech2

Hi PrecisionMachinisT, hope you are having a nice day

On 27-Jan-05 At About 07:56:28, PrecisionMachinisT wrote to PrecisionMachinisT
Subject: Heat pump icing up

P From: "PrecisionMachinisT"

P In a pinch you can force the condensor to defrost by putting the stat
P into cooling mode and setting the inside temp to about 40
P degrees.....the ice should all melt off it in about ten minutes doing
P it that way. Cold air will blow out the registers while that is
P happening.

This won't work due to the fact the outdoor motor will run. the only way to
defrost it is to also stop the outdoor motor. This should not be attempted
unless you know what you are doing.

-= HvacTech2 =-

... "Fasten your seatbelt. I'm gonna try something." - s.w.

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
PrecisionMachinisT

"HvacTech2" wrote in message

Hi PrecisionMachinisT, hope you are having a nice day

On 27-Jan-05 At About 07:56:28, PrecisionMachinisT wrote to

PrecisionMachinisT

P From: "PrecisionMachinisT"

P In a pinch you can force the condensor to defrost by putting the stat
P into cooling mode and setting the inside temp to about 40
P degrees.....the ice should all melt off it in about ten minutes doing
P it that way. Cold air will blow out the registers while that is
P happening.

This won't work due to the fact the outdoor motor will run. the only way

defrost it is to also stop the outdoor motor. This should not be attempted
unless you know what you are doing.

Try it sometime--I have on numerous occasions and it works fine on my Lennox
unit, at least in outdoor temps down into the low teens.........

Not to get into a ****ing match, but if airflow is blocked by ice then the
fan is running into a vacuum anyway and so there is no flow.

Granted it does work better if the outdoor fan is disabled, and if the
outdoor temp drops far enough then I suppose at some point it might not work
at all.

--

SVL

Fr@nk

"Bubba" wrote in message

[...]

Bubba-

Thanks; I get the message. I'll have it checked by another guy (or two). It
certainly works well almost all the time though; hope it's not done.

PrecisionMachinisT

"HvacTech2" wrote in message

Hi PrecisionMachinisT, hope you are having a nice day

On 27-Jan-05 At About 07:56:28, PrecisionMachinisT wrote to

PrecisionMachinisT

P From: "PrecisionMachinisT"

P In a pinch you can force the condensor to defrost by putting the stat
P into cooling mode and setting the inside temp to about 40
P degrees.....the ice should all melt off it in about ten minutes doing
P it that way. Cold air will blow out the registers while that is
P happening.

This won't work due to the fact the outdoor motor will run. the only way

defrost it is to also stop the outdoor motor. This should not be attempted
unless you know what you are doing.

Dear sir,

Enough time has passed for you to respond in an intelligent manner.

You are clearly out of your league when it comes to heat pumps, and I ask
you to please refrain in giving advice here where it has become readily
apparent you dont even understand the basics of heat pump technology when it
comes to low temperature controls and operation.

Thx,

--

SVL

HvacTech2

Hi PrecisionMachinisT, hope you are having a nice day

On 28-Jan-05 At About 08:34:29, PrecisionMachinisT wrote to PrecisionMachinisT

P From: "PrecisionMachinisT"

P "HvacTech2" wrote in message
P ...
Hi PrecisionMachinisT, hope you are having a nice day

On 27-Jan-05 At About 07:56:28, PrecisionMachinisT wrote to

P PrecisionMachinisT

P From: "PrecisionMachinisT"

P In a pinch you can force the condensor to defrost by putting the stat
P into cooling mode and setting the inside temp to about 40
P degrees.....the ice should all melt off it in about ten minutes doing
P it that way. Cold air will blow out the registers while that is
P happening.

This won't work due to the fact the outdoor motor will run. the only
way

P to
defrost it is to also stop the outdoor motor. This should not be
attempted unless you know what you are doing.

P Dear sir,

P Enough time has passed for you to respond in an intelligent manner.

P You are clearly out of your league when it comes to heat pumps, and I
P ask you to please refrain in giving advice here where it has become
P readily apparent you dont even understand the basics of heat pump
P technology when it comes to low temperature controls and operation.

Hmmm, I don't understand this reply but if you only use common sense it would
tell you that you need to stop the outdoor fan to defrost the outdoor unit.
I have worked on so many heat pumps in my 30 years as a tech that I can't
even count them all. you have worked on how many? and you have been a service
tech for how many years? you can now apologize any time you want.

-= HvacTech2 =-

... "Why is the alphabet in that order? Is it because of that song?"- s.w.

___ TagDude 0.92á+[DM]
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
PrecisionMachinisT

"HvacTech2" wrote in message

[...]

"Common sense" aint gonna fly here, your telling me something "wont work"
when in fact it will.

--

SVL

Cheaper to set back heat pump at night or leave at same temp? [email protected] Home Repair 3 December 27th 04 11:44 AM
HVAC Heating Zone question TN Home Repair 28 September 17th 04 03:02 PM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Replace of Heat Pump or Get new system? OKE Home Ownership 1 May 15th 04 07:16 PM
turn-off: Texas heat pump sellers slow to give "happy-user" refs Mike Heatley Home Ownership 1 September 3rd 03 05:18 PM