Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

OKE

Default Replace of Heat Pump or Get new system?

Hi everyone,

Here's the deal I live in Maryland and I am getting ready to move
out of my house. The person before me replace the heat/cooling system
in the house about six years ago. And as you can guess on the sixth
year the heat pump has died, and my luck the crap only had a 5 year
warranty. The unit is a GOODMAN CPKE30-1B. My question is this,
since I am going to sell the house within a year should I just replace
the heat pump or the whole thing.

I have got some quotes from a couple of dealers, they a
1. Local guys, pretty reputable: They say they will just replace the
unit with a GOODMAN CPKe-30L, 2.5 ton 10 seer heat pump.
Total: $1350.00

2. Home Depot, guy, replace the whole thing with all TRANE heat pump
2TWR1030A, Trane Air Handler TWG030A1408, and Baystat 240
Thermostat.
Total: $4450.00

3. Local guys also reputable: They say they will put in Rheem
products. I haven't got all the details yet, but they will replace heat
pump,air handler, and thermostat as well
Estimate Total: $3500

Please keep in mind I will be selling the place. So is it worth it
for a new system or just replace the heat pump and move on? Also how
much value do you think this would to the house?

Thanks for your input in advance
OKE
Rubber Mallet

"OKE" wrote in message
om...
Hi everyone,

Here's the deal I live in Maryland and I am getting ready to move
out of my house. The person before me replace the heat/cooling system
in the house about six years ago. And as you can guess on the sixth
year the heat pump has died, and my luck the crap only had a 5 year
warranty. The unit is a GOODMAN CPKE30-1B. My question is this,
since I am going to sell the house within a year should I just replace
the heat pump or the whole thing.

I have got some quotes from a couple of dealers, they a
1. Local guys, pretty reputable: They say they will just replace the
unit with a GOODMAN CPKe-30L, 2.5 ton 10 seer heat pump.
Total: $1350.00

snip

OKE

You're going to sell the house within a year. Just replace the part that
failed.

Replacing the entire system will NOT increase the amount that your house
sells for. As illogical as it may seem, you'd be better off taking the
additional $2000 or more that it would cost to replace the entire system and
put it toward getting the landscaping looking really nice, painting, and
cleaning or replacing carpeting. To most buyers, a new A/C system just
doesn't have the impact of a clean, ready-to-move-into house.