PrecisionMachinisT

"Fr@nk" wrote in message
news:NKgKd.64190$Tf5.28233@lakeread03...
Hello. I have a 12 year old Bryant heat pump (3 ton 661A model) that gets
covered with ice a few times during the winter. It's done it twice so far
this winter. It obviously has something to do with the unit not defrosting
properly, but the HVAC guy I've had out to check it out (several times)
always shows up just after I've defrosted it (by just letting it thaw

out).
Since it's not iced up while he's there, he says he can't check out the
defrost control board(?) or other things that could be bad and causing the
problem.

I've read a couple of web posts describing this same model heat pump, and
the person said he replaced the defrost control board, which fixed his
problem. He also mentioned the reversing valve, but ended up not needing

replace that. Are these parts things a tech should be able to swap in and
out easily? Or are they expensive?

I do notice this unit making a clicking sound (rhythmically, every second

or
two) every once in a while. But usually it sounds pretty normal. Could the
clicking be related to the defrosting/reversing thing?

Since the heat pump is 12 years old, could it be close to the end of its
useful life? It'd be a shame, since it seems to do a good job of heating

95%
of the time; it's just the iced-up times that make me need the aux heat

for
a day or two to defrost it. Any advice? Thanks.

In a pinch you can force the condensor to defrost by putting the stat into
cooling mode and setting the inside temp to about 40 degrees.....the ice
should all melt off it in about ten minutes doing it that way. Cold air will
blow out the registers while that is happening.

Or you can just shut it off and melt the ice by spraying lots of cold water
on the coils with an outside garden hose, really no reason to 'wait 2 days'
for it to defrost.......

Most defrost boards will have a jumper selector for timer......30 minutes 60
minutes and 90 minutes--suggest have a tech set it to 30 minutes for the
time being.

--

SVL