Trmonaghan

Default Bryant 393AAV won't hold flame

Looking for a little info and a little advice. First of all, the only thing I
am knowledgeable on in regards to the furnace is how to turn the thermostat up.
That being said....(I can see all of you rolling your eyes)...

I have a Bryant 393AAV that's about 7 or 8 years old. I had trouble in the
past that was repaired: The igniter comes on and glows red, the flame starts.
The flame goes out after two or three seconds. The igniter glows again and it
usually starts on the second try, although it sometimes goes for a third. I
was told by the HVAC guy who came out that there was some sort of flaw that
caused air from the induction(?) fan to blow on the flames, blowing them out.
He put a plate between the fan and flames and it seemed to solve the problem.
That was about two years ago. I might add that the guy also cleaned everything
at that same time.

However, now that it's down to about 5 degrees, it's doing it again. I've
heard other people say that their furnaces do this recycling thing as well, but
they don't worry about it since it always comes back on. Me, on the other
hand, worry about such things, since I envision burst pipes and explosions and
me standing on the driveway in my underwear, freezing to death, being
interviewed by the local news media, and my neighbors looking out the windows
of their cozy homes, laughing at me.

Any suggestions?

Theresa

Red Neckerson

"Trmonaghan" wrote

Looking for a little info and a little advice. First of all, the only
thing I
am knowledgeable on in regards to the furnace is how to turn the
thermostat up.
That being said....(I can see all of you rolling your eyes)...

No eye-rolling. You admit that you just don't know.

I have a Bryant 393AAV that's about 7 or 8 years old. I had trouble in
the
past that was repaired: The igniter comes on and glows red, the flame
starts.
The flame goes out after two or three seconds. The igniter glows again
and it
usually starts on the second try, although it sometimes goes for a third.
was told by the HVAC guy who came out that there was some sort of flaw
that
caused air from the induction(?) fan to blow on the flames, blowing them
out.
He put a plate between the fan and flames and it seemed to solve the
problem.

Seemed to solve the problem? He altered the design of the furnace (and
possibly by-passing some of the safety features) to get it to work??!!!

That was about two years ago. I might add that the guy also cleaned
everything
at that same time.

However, now that it's down to about 5 degrees, it's doing it again. I've
heard other people say that their furnaces do this recycling thing as
well, but
they don't worry about it since it always comes back on. Me, on the other
hand, worry about such things, since I envision burst pipes and explosions
and
me standing on the driveway in my underwear, freezing to death, being
interviewed by the local news media, and my neighbors looking out the
windows
of their cozy homes, laughing at me.

Any suggestions?

Theresa! You need to get a reputable repairman out there and fix it RIGHT!
I'm sure the "HVAC guy" you had out before menat well, but it sounds to me
like you need someone that knows what they are doing, fix it correctly, and
then have no more problems with it.

A gas furnace is nothing to tinker with......

trm

Red Neckerson wrote:

Seemed to solve the problem? He altered the design of the furnace (and
possibly by-passing some of the safety features) to get it to work??!!!

According to him, Bryant was aware of this problem with the fan blowing
out the flame, and Bryant came out with a "kit" to fix the problem. The
kit, I guess, consisted of this plate that blocks air flow from the fan.

Theresa! You need to get a reputable repairman out there and fix it RIGHT!
I'm sure the "HVAC guy" you had out before menat well, but it sounds to me
like you need someone that knows what they are doing, fix it correctly, and
then have no more problems with it.

This guy was from a Bryant authorized repair center. And he was the
*third* one from the company that came out to try and figure out what
the problem was. The first guy told me nothing was wrong, and the
second one told me he didn't know what was going on, after showing me
copious amounts of butt crack. Needless to say, I was less than
impressed.

Theresa

Bubba

On 15 Jan 2005 21:22:53 GMT, ddl@danlan.*com (Dan Lanciani) wrote:

In article , no (Trmonaghan) writes:

| However, now that it's down to about 5 degrees, it's doing it again. I've
| heard other people say that their furnaces do this recycling thing as well, but
| they don't worry about it since it always comes back on.

I did worry about a similar short-cycle problem on a 350MAV because it
caused the hot surface ignitor module to fail from constant use. The
problem turned out to be bad solder joints on the controller board. Later
I found out that there was a recall for the problem, but my service person
didn't know about it. N.B. my short cycle was more like 30 seconds (the
time it took for the joints to heat up and lose contact) so don't read too
much into it...

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com

Youve been fed a line of crap. Your igniter didnt break because of
short cycling. It broke because almost all of them did. Igniters suck
for customers and they make money for we hvac guys. "Hey, dont blame
me. I didnt make them". If you are talking about the recall on the
burning up main circuit boards, that was a line of crap from your
fixit guy too. Everyone, and I mean Everyone knew about those boards,
Bryant dealer or not. First they were going bad, then they decided to
move them from the upper area to down in the blower area. They still
burn up. They have gone through way too many revisions on that board.
HK********007 on up to 016 now I believe. Its called Bryant/Carrier's
consumer product testing. Bryant/Carrier tests and you the consumer
pays for it, ....dearly, I might add.
Bubba