Malcolm Reeves

Default Flame effect electric fire - recommendations?

Hi,

I'm looking for something to replace the coal fire roomheater I've
just taken out and I think I'd like an electric replacement as this is
less work, and you can have the flame effect without the heat. Plus
I'm not on gas so installing that would be a pain and be LPG.

So I'd like an electric inset fire with a good flame effect. And
quiet. I brought home one from B&Q today and that's going back. The
flame effect was quite reasonable but the noise of the fan to drive it
was very noticeable. Unacceptably so .

I've looked at Dimplex but I don't like their mirror effect. This fire
had translucent screen that in my opinion was less noticeable than
seeing reflections, even if when off you could vaguely see the flames.
Can you hear the flame fan on Dimplex or do they not use a fan?

So, any recommendations? Ones I should look at? Do any have quiet
flame effects?

--

Malcolm

Malcolm Reeves BSc CEng MIEE MIRSE, Full Circuit Ltd, Chippenham, UK
, or ).
Design Service for Analogue/Digital H/W & S/W Railway Signalling and Power
electronics. More details plus freeware, Win95/98 DUN and Pspice tips, see:

http://www.fullcircuit.com or http://www.fullcircuit.co.uk

NEW - www.CharteredConsultant.co.uk - The Consultant A-List
Owain

"Malcolm Reeves" wrote
| So I'd like an electric inset fire with a good flame effect. And
| quiet. I brought home one from B&Q today and that's going
| back. The flame effect was quite reasonable but the noise of
| the fan to drive it was very noticeable. Unacceptably so .

AFAIK all the electric 'fires' (apart from the
plastic-coals-over-a-radiant-bar that were popular from the 1920s to the
1970s and were sold under names like Cozeetootsies Chatsworth or
Burnzeekneees Brideshead, the 'posher' the name the naffer the design, aimed
at the sort of household where the Radio Times was kept in an Ollde Worlde
leather folder) use a concealed fan heater for heating, so you will get some
fan noise whenever you use it for heat.

Owain

Tony Bryer

In article , Malcolm
Reeves wrote:
So I'd like an electric inset fire with a good flame effect.
And quiet. I brought home one from B&Q today and that's going
back. The flame effect was quite reasonable but the noise of
the fan to drive it was very noticeable. Unacceptably so .

Noise is always a YMMV issue but my mum bought one of these just
before Christmas and the noise is not really noticeable at all. I
think the flame effect is superb. It might be worth checking for
something loose and rattling.

Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm

Malcolm Reeves

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 12:53:46 -0000, "Owain"
wrote:

"Malcolm Reeves" wrote
| So I'd like an electric inset fire with a good flame effect. And
| quiet. I brought home one from B&Q today and that's going
| back. The flame effect was quite reasonable but the noise of
| the fan to drive it was very noticeable. Unacceptably so .

a concealed fan heater for heating, so you will get some
fan noise whenever you use it for heat.

Except I was talking about just the flame effect on, not the fan for
heating. The two are different.

It looks like I'm going this way so I'll give the B&Q one another go,
perhaps it was just a duff one. I could also look at running the fan
slower or an alternate fan.

BTW I looked at gas fires. Nice but no mains gas here so it would be
LPG. I worked out that one 47kg bottle has the equivalent of 600
kWhrs and since each bottle costs about GBP 26 that's 4.3p per kWhr
which is more than I pay for my electric!

And decorative gas fires are 50% efficient so that's almost 9p per
kWhr. The minimum setting is about 1.5kW so 13p/hr just to have it
lit. Say 6pm-10pm, for 6 months, that's GBP 95 running costs. And it
is the best part of 1000 to install a gas fire (no proper fireplace,
but there is a chimney).