crazysounds

Default blue flame vs. infrared Backup Propane Heater

Hi,

Does anyone know the major differences between the blue flame vs. infrared
propane heaters. I know that with the blue flame you can see the flame and
the infrared uses a ceramic block that heats up. Which one is better and
why?

Thanks

Edwin Pawlowski

"crazysounds" wrote in message
. net...
I don't have experience with either one. I want a propane heater for my
livingroom. The heater would supplement my oil fired furnace. I want
something that would allow me to keep the house warm if there was an
electricity outage. My livingroom is about 20 a 15 feet. Which type of
propane heater would you suggest?

I'd look at something like this.
http://www.vermontcastings.com/about...ils.php?id=161

Visit your propane dealer and they may have some suggestions about
installation and the best type of stove for your setup.
--
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Edwin Pawlowski

"modervador" wrote in message

I guess it may depend on what you mean by "a larger area." Do you mean
just the air, or all the other objects in the room?

The radiant heater is a better choice if the work areas is say, 5 x 5 but
the room is 50 x 50. You feel warmer as long as you are in sight of the
heater. A bunch of people spread out over the entire area, to reach a fast
level of comfort, will need a few radient heaters or one larger one that
heats the air first.

With the ceramic brick heater, the closer objects in the line-of-sight
do indeed warm up faster than the air on the other side the room, but
you feel the heat radiating from these warm objects and the air near
them is also warmed by conduction, which could feel nice. A
circulating fan can get that heated air moving to other parts of the
room same as for the blue flame heater, by the way.

With the flame heater, the air gets warm first which may feel nice,
but the air near to objects in the room will feel cold anyway because
the objects absorb heat from the air as well as absorbing heat that
you radiate, while not radiating heat back at you. So your perception
of warmth is decreased by the chill that seems to come from the
objects in the room.

You did a better job of explaining it.
Ed