Drew B.

Default Broken garage door cable

We just closed the door on our two car garage and it looks like one of
the cables that is attached to the maim coiled spring napped in the
process. I think the door closed too fast and and is now crooked in the
track. After disconnecting the electric opener, we still haven't been
able to open the door manually. Normally this wouldn't be a problem,
but the car is stuck inside, and needless to say we need it tomorrow.
We are planning on calling a professional to repair the spring, but is
there a way to get the door properly seated on the track again so it
can be opened to get the car out?

tia
drew

Richard J Kinch

Drew B. writes:

We are planning on calling a professional to repair the spring, but is
there a way to get the door properly seated on the track again so it
can be opened to get the car out?

Spring or cable or both or what?

Do not try to lift the door while it is broken. It should be fixed first,
in the down position. My page:

http://www.truetex.com/garage.htm
DanG

I think you may just have no clue about how heavy that door is
without the torsion spring(s) pulling on it. Crowbars, 4 x 4
timbers, and jacks all come to mind to move the door if it is an
insulated or wooden double wide door.

The cable drum on the unbroken side may have that cable in a knot
or be jambed. You will still need to unweight the door and lock
it in location to mess with the cable. If this is a torsion
spring door (I'm sure it must be) be very careful with the
spring - basically, do not touch the spring or any of the bolts
having to do with the spring unless you know how to work on them
and it does not sound as if you do.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Drew B." wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

With one cable on & the other off or broke you won't be able to get the
door to stay level again without fixing the cable or removing tension
on the spring (I don't recommend that you mess w/ the springs). Forcing
the door open may damage the track & the door could literally fall unto
you or the car which would not be a good thing. You should really leave
the door in whatever position it is in until it is repaired. It will be
faster & therefore cheaper for someone to fix.
Doordoc
www.DoorsAndOpeners.com

Ross Mac

"Drew B." wrote in message
oups.com...
We just closed the door on our two car garage and it looks like one of
the cables that is attached to the maim coiled spring napped in the
process. I think the door closed too fast and and is now crooked in the
track. After disconnecting the electric opener, we still haven't been
able to open the door manually. Normally this wouldn't be a problem,
but the car is stuck inside, and needless to say we need it tomorrow.
We are planning on calling a professional to repair the spring, but is
there a way to get the door properly seated on the track again so it
can be opened to get the car out?

tia
drew

Maybe you could straighten it out a bit with the help of some of the
neighbors/friends and get your car out...then it won't be an emergency and
you can find a good contractor to solve your problem.....best of luck
....Ross

Pop

Ross Mac wrote:
"Drew B." wrote in message
oups.com...
We just closed the door on our two car garage and it looks
like one
of the cables that is attached to the maim coiled spring
napped in
the process. I think the door closed too fast and and is now
crooked
in the track. After disconnecting the electric opener, we
still
haven't been able to open the door manually. Normally this
wouldn't
be a problem, but the car is stuck inside, and needless to say
we
need it tomorrow. We are planning on calling a professional to
repair the spring, but is there a way to get the door properly
seated on the track again so it can be opened to get the car
out?

How about using a come-along to lift on the side of the door that
needs help? Lots safer than standing with toes, hernias, etc.,
ready to be clobbered. Maybe a come-along on each side so once
it's movable, you can continue to lift the door til the car can
get out. Then lower it the same way. If a spring is broken, you
shouldn't try to use the opener itself to lift the door.

Pop

Ross Mac

"Pop" wrote in message
Ross Mac wrote:
"Drew B." wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Hey Pop, I think you misquoted....the above isn't mine...take care, Ross

Pop

Ross Mac wrote:
Pop

Hey Pop, I think you misquoted....the above isn't mine...take
care,
Ross

Oops! Sorry about that.

Pop