Bonnie Jean

Default insulation of styrofoam

Another question for all of you,

I have one of those birdfeeders that goes into a window like an air
conditioner. I haven't used it in years but would like to. I need to put
something on both sides since it doesn't reach the edges of my window. I was
thinking of using Styrofoam boards that I've gotten from packaging. It would
be easy for me to cut into the proper size. I would then paint it to blend
with the wall.

But is the wind and cold going to come right through it? Should I just set
it up in the warmer months to avoid a draft in my bedroom?

Thanks Again,
Bonnie

PS- This is on a different side of the house from those rascal squirrels.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Bonnie Jean" wrote in message

I have one of those birdfeeders that goes into a window like an air
conditioner. I haven't used it in years but would like to. I need to put
something on both sides since it doesn't reach the edges of my window. I
was
thinking of using Styrofoam boards that I've gotten from packaging. It
would
be easy for me to cut into the proper size. I would then paint it to blend
with the wall.

But is the wind and cold going to come right through it? Should I just set
it up in the warmer months to avoid a draft in my bedroom?

Depends on how well you seal things. The cold will not pass through the
foam, but surely will any gaps. I'm not familiar witht he feeder so I don't
know exactly how it fits.

effi

the styrofoam may be very flammable
and thus might be unsafe and violate codes

there may be a better (flame retardant & ok with code) material

"Bonnie Jean" wrote in message
Another question for all of you,

I have one of those birdfeeders that goes into a window like an air
conditioner. I haven't used it in years but would like to. I need to put
something on both sides since it doesn't reach the edges of my window. I
was
thinking of using Styrofoam boards that I've gotten from packaging. It
would
be easy for me to cut into the proper size. I would then paint it to blend
with the wall.

But is the wind and cold going to come right through it? Should I just set
it up in the warmer months to avoid a draft in my bedroom?

Thanks Again,
Bonnie

PS- This is on a different side of the house from those rascal squirrels.

Edwin Pawlowski

"effi" wrote in message
the styrofoam may be very flammable
and thus might be unsafe and violate codes

there may be a better (flame retardant & ok with code) material

You mean like Styrofoam? The Dow brand of Styrofoam® used for insulation
is always flame retardant. Styrofoam is a registered trademark for their
brand of extruded polystyrene foam

The packaging material may or may not be as there is no requirement to be
flame retardant. That material is properly called expanded polystyrene.
Material used for food contact is NOT flame retardant, but anything used for
construction, insulation of an appliance MUST be modified. It is treated
with bromides that will stop the burning if the source of ignition is
removed.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

..

Bonnie Jean

"effi" wrote in message
re-read original post, poster mentioned bird feeder will be attached to
residential window like window unit ac

questions?

I don't expect anyone to be spying my house for code violations. Nor do I
expect the budgies to be lighting any cigarettes or such...to cause a spark.
Not unless the squirrels become a bad influence.

I bought some foamy strips of insulation used for windows, with adhesive on
one side. I would use this to create a better seal around the styrofoam.

Bonnie

effi

"effi" wrote in message
re-read original post, poster mentioned bird feeder will be attached to
residential window like window unit ac

questions?

I don't expect anyone to be spying my house for code violations. Nor do I
expect the budgies to be lighting any cigarettes or such...to cause a
spark.
Not unless the squirrels become a bad influence.

I bought some foamy strips of insulation used for windows, with adhesive
on
one side. I would use this to create a better seal around the styrofoam.

Bonnie

if it works and you have small leaks caulk might work to stop the leaks

Andy Asberry

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 15:29:26 -0500, "Bonnie Jean"
wrote:

Another question for all of you,

I have one of those birdfeeders that goes into a window like an air
conditioner. I haven't used it in years but would like to. I need to put
something on both sides since it doesn't reach the edges of my window. I was
thinking of using Styrofoam boards that I've gotten from packaging. It would
be easy for me to cut into the proper size. I would then paint it to blend
with the wall.

But is the wind and cold going to come right through it? Should I just set
it up in the warmer months to avoid a draft in my bedroom?

Thanks Again,
Bonnie

PS- This is on a different side of the house from those rascal squirrels.

Give it a good coat of latex paint for UV protection.

Edwin Pawlowski

"effi" wrote in message
will exposed styrofoam in a use like the op mentioned pass code?

I don't think there are codes for bird feeders.

effi

"effi" wrote in message
will exposed styrofoam in a use like the op mentioned pass code?

I don't think there are codes for bird feeders.

har har, then again, some municipality somewhere may have such an
ordinance...like the "you can't beat your uncle dad's chicken's eggs after
10 p.m." in podunk

the issue is the safety of exposed styrofoam in a residence, which may be
addressed by building codes

i don't recall seeing any exposed styrofoam (or any kind of foam for that
matter) in new residential building lately...

Edwin Pawlowski

"effi" wrote in message
the issue is the safety of exposed styrofoam in a residence, which may be
addressed by building codes

i don't recall seeing any exposed styrofoam (or any kind of foam for that
matter) in new residential building lately...

When use as insulation for walls, etc, it should be covered with sheetrock
to comply with codes. A couple of pieces for a bird feeder would not come
under any codes. It is not a highly flammable material. It does not
spontaneously combust. In the situation posed by the OP, it is no more
dangerous that the drapes or curtains hanging on the window or many of the
other materials normally found in a house. I doubt you keep the newspaper
in a fireproof container.

Want to see how foam is used in a house/ www.polysteel.com or
www.integraspec.com

George E. Cawthon

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"effi" wrote in message

the issue is the safety of exposed styrofoam in a residence, which may be
addressed by building codes

i don't recall seeing any exposed styrofoam (or any kind of foam for that
matter) in new residential building lately...

When use as insulation for walls, etc, it should be covered with sheetrock
to comply with codes. A couple of pieces for a bird feeder would not come
under any codes. It is not a highly flammable material. It does not
spontaneously combust. In the situation posed by the OP, it is no more
dangerous that the drapes or curtains hanging on the window or many of the
other materials normally found in a house. I doubt you keep the newspaper
in a fireproof container.

Want to see how foam is used in a house/ www.polysteel.com or
www.integraspec.com

A little sarcasm? And justly deserved!

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 06:17:54 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"effi" wrote in message
the issue is the safety of exposed styrofoam in a residence, which may be
addressed by building codes

i don't recall seeing any exposed styrofoam (or any kind of foam for that
matter) in new residential building lately...

When use as insulation for walls, etc, it should be covered with sheetrock
to comply with codes. A couple of pieces for a bird feeder would not come
under any codes. It is not a highly flammable material. It does not
spontaneously combust. In the situation posed by the OP, it is no more
dangerous that the drapes or curtains hanging on the window or many of the
other materials normally found in a house. I doubt you keep the newspaper
in a fireproof container.

Want to see how foam is used in a house/ www.polysteel.com or
www.integraspec.com

Cool site. I see the forms used on tv now and then, but when I chat
with other people about it, they look at me weird. Their responses:
"Styrofoam Concrete Forms?"

later,

tom @ www.FindMeShelter.com

effi

"effi" wrote in message
the issue is the safety of exposed styrofoam in a residence, which may be
addressed by building codes

i don't recall seeing any exposed styrofoam (or any kind of foam for that
matter) in new residential building lately...

When use as insulation for walls, etc, it should be covered with sheetrock
to comply with codes. A couple of pieces for a bird feeder would not come
under any codes.

given the toxicity of styrofoam, why introduce toxic material into an
environment birds are feeding in?

It is not a highly flammable material. It does not spontaneously
combust. In the situation posed by the OP, it is no more dangerous that
the drapes or curtains hanging on the window or many of the other
materials normally found in a house. I doubt you keep the newspaper in a
fireproof container.

Want to see how foam is used in a house/ www.polysteel.com or
www.integraspec.com

effi

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"effi" wrote in message

the issue is the safety of exposed styrofoam in a residence, which may be
addressed by building codes

i don't recall seeing any exposed styrofoam (or any kind of foam for that
matter) in new residential building lately...

When use as insulation for walls, etc, it should be covered with
sheetrock to comply with codes. A couple of pieces for a bird feeder
would not come under any codes. It is not a highly flammable material.
It does not spontaneously combust. In the situation posed by the OP, it
is no more dangerous that the drapes or curtains hanging on the window or
many of the other materials normally found in a house. I doubt you keep
the newspaper in a fireproof container.

Want to see how foam is used in a house/ www.polysteel.com or
www.integraspec.com

A little sarcasm? And justly deserved!

you might wanna have a look at 5. on this page
http://www.pionusparrot.com/ToySafety.htm

Edwin Pawlowski

"effi" wrote in message

given the toxicity of styrofoam, why introduce toxic material into an
environment birds are feeding in?

Sorry effi, it is not toxic. If ingested by a bird it may block the
digestive tract same as any other inert material. There is a difference
between blocking and being toxic. You pointed to a list about toys for birds
to play with.. That is different than insulating a window for a feeder.
While they should not eat any plastics, they can sit on it, nest on it,
sleep on it, and have no adverse effects EPS foam is used for coffee cups,
cooker, seafood shippers etc. It is allowed because it is on the GRAS list
and is NOT toxic.

It is recyclable, it saves energy, it is safely incinerated and gives off
18,000 Btu per pound when used to generate electricity in a trash to energy
plant. Oh, not all foam is Styrofoam. Only the product made by Dow
Chemical as that is their registered trademark for extruded polystyrene
foam.

Any other questions?

effi

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

"effi" wrote in message

given the toxicity of styrofoam, why introduce toxic material into an
environment birds are feeding in?

Sorry effi, it is not toxic.

what is your source for your statement that styrofoam is not toxic?

If ingested by a bird it may block the digestive tract same as any other
inert material. There is a difference between blocking and being toxic.
You pointed to a list about toys for birds to play with.. That is
different than insulating a window for a feeder. While they should not eat
any plastics, they can sit on it, nest on it, sleep on it, and have no
adverse effects EPS foam is used for coffee cups, cooker, seafood shippers
etc. It is allowed because it is on the GRAS list and is NOT toxic.

It is recyclable, it saves energy, it is safely incinerated and gives off
18,000 Btu per pound when used to generate electricity in a trash to
energy plant. Oh, not all foam is Styrofoam. Only the product made by
Dow Chemical as that is their registered trademark for extruded
polystyrene foam.

Any other questions?

effi

i guess to make it easy for the readers, here's a site that kind of sums up
the toxicity and environmental problems due to styrofoam
http://www.ecocycle.org/TimesFall2000/askrosie.cfm

also, if i recall, dr. hulda clark (cancer expert) has negative things to
say about styrofoam as to its toxicity

in summary, in answer to the original post, i think styrofoam is a terrible
choice for any component piece or adjoining piece to a bird feeder, or on
any exposed or painted surface of styrofoam birds or humans may interact
with, for reasons mentioned throughout my posts

"effi" wrote in message

[...]

George E. Cawthon

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"effi" wrote in message

[...]

Try staying on topic. The sarcasm was justified because you
were indicating that Styrofoam was dangerous if exposed in a
house. Your comment had nothing to do with birds.

As for the danger of Styrofoam to birds, the op indicated
the Styrofoam would be to either side of the bird feeder, so
unless the birds are pecking on the house, if wouldn't
affect them. The site you gave was about bird toys; a block
of Styrofoam that is part of building is not a toy to a wild
bird and would likely be of no interest.
George E. Cawthon

effi wrote:
i guess to make it easy for the readers, here's a site that kind of sums up
the toxicity and environmental problems due to styrofoam
http://www.ecocycle.org/TimesFall2000/askrosie.cfm

also, if i recall, dr. hulda clark (cancer expert) has negative things to
say about styrofoam as to its toxicity

in summary, in answer to the original post, i think styrofoam is a terrible
choice for any component piece or adjoining piece to a bird feeder, or on
any exposed or painted surface of styrofoam birds or humans may interact
with, for reasons mentioned throughout my posts

Rosie is a nut and obviously has little scientific training.
She mixes up the toxicity of materials used in manufacture
with the material itself. From that standpoint, we should
ban all petroleum products including gasoline. Wonder how
Rosie would like not having a car or anything made of
plastic and other materials derived from petroleum including
her sun glasses.

Edwin Pawlowski

effi wrote:
i guess to make it easy for the readers, here's a site that kind of sums
up the toxicity and environmental problems due to styrofoam
http://www.ecocycle.org/TimesFall2000/askrosie.cfm

There is so much misinformation on that page that it is laughable. The only
thing that site sums up is that you can twist logic, change chemical
properties by lying. Please effie, educate yourself. Find reliable sources
of information from independent sources that have no agenda side from the
truth.

effi

effi wrote:
i guess to make it easy for the readers, here's a site that kind of sums
up the toxicity and environmental problems due to styrofoam
http://www.ecocycle.org/TimesFall2000/askrosie.cfm

There is so much misinformation on that page that it is laughable. The
only thing that site sums up is that you can twist logic, change chemical
properties by lying. Please effie, educate yourself. Find reliable
sources of information from independent sources that have no agenda side
from the truth.

due to all the faulty information you have issued in this thread, you have
joined the other fella in my blocked sender's list

of course, given your snet.net username, you already knew that

Edwin Pawlowski

"effi" wrote in message news:
due to all the faulty information you have issued in this thread, you have
joined the other fella in my blocked sender's list

of course, given your snet.net username, you already knew that

Oh my, that hurts. I just don't know what do to now, but I am emotionally
scarred from that harsh decision. Will I ever be able to face my friends
again? Will my co-workers shun me? Do I need physiological counseling?

OTOH, prove that one of my statements is false. You can't so you choose to
ignore them. Your choice and nothing anyone says will change your closed
mind.

George E. Cawthon

effi wrote:

in summation:
do you persist to posit, after reading the cited information, that styrofoam
is not toxic and safe in or adjacent to a bird feeder installed in a
residential window?

Two points only. First you brought up the subject up
building codes and Styrofoam, and that has what to do with
birds?
Second, the cited information was just opinion without any
scientific fact.
George E. Cawthon

effi wrote:

i guess to make it easy for the readers, here's a site that kind of sums
up the toxicity and environmental problems due to styrofoam
http://www.ecocycle.org/TimesFall2000/askrosie.cfm

also, if i recall, dr. hulda clark (cancer expert) has negative things
to say about styrofoam as to its toxicity

in summary, in answer to the original post, i think styrofoam is a
terrible choice for any component piece or adjoining piece to a bird
feeder, or on any exposed or painted surface of styrofoam birds or humans
may interact with, for reasons mentioned throughout my posts

Rosie is a nut and obviously has little scientific training. She mixes up
the toxicity of materials used in manufacture with the material itself.
From that standpoint, we should ban all petroleum products including
gasoline. Wonder how Rosie would like not having a car or anything made
of plastic and other materials derived from petroleum including her sun
glasses.

you lose lol

Your are right for once. I lost several minutes of wasted
time. Unfortunately for you, you are losing a life of
possible learning and knowledge. Go to college, take some
courses besides "Communications" or whatever other
frivolous name they use for training budding tv reporters in
everything except a real subject.

Oops, you are right again, I lost some more time. But then
I'm already retired from a successful career.