Bonnie Jean

Default insulation of styrofoam

Another question for all of you,

I have one of those birdfeeders that goes into a window like an air
conditioner. I haven't used it in years but would like to. I need to put
something on both sides since it doesn't reach the edges of my window. I was
thinking of using Styrofoam boards that I've gotten from packaging. It would
be easy for me to cut into the proper size. I would then paint it to blend
with the wall.

But is the wind and cold going to come right through it? Should I just set
it up in the warmer months to avoid a draft in my bedroom?

Thanks Again,
Bonnie

PS- This is on a different side of the house from those rascal squirrels.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Bonnie Jean" wrote in message

I have one of those birdfeeders that goes into a window like an air
conditioner. I haven't used it in years but would like to. I need to put
something on both sides since it doesn't reach the edges of my window. I
was
thinking of using Styrofoam boards that I've gotten from packaging. It
would
be easy for me to cut into the proper size. I would then paint it to blend
with the wall.

But is the wind and cold going to come right through it? Should I just set
it up in the warmer months to avoid a draft in my bedroom?

Depends on how well you seal things. The cold will not pass through the
foam, but surely will any gaps. I'm not familiar witht he feeder so I don't
know exactly how it fits.

effi

the styrofoam may be very flammable
and thus might be unsafe and violate codes

there may be a better (flame retardant & ok with code) material

"Bonnie Jean" wrote in message
Another question for all of you,

I have one of those birdfeeders that goes into a window like an air
conditioner. I haven't used it in years but would like to. I need to put
something on both sides since it doesn't reach the edges of my window. I
was
thinking of using Styrofoam boards that I've gotten from packaging. It
would
be easy for me to cut into the proper size. I would then paint it to blend
with the wall.

But is the wind and cold going to come right through it? Should I just set
it up in the warmer months to avoid a draft in my bedroom?

Thanks Again,
Bonnie

PS- This is on a different side of the house from those rascal squirrels.

Edwin Pawlowski

"effi" wrote in message
the styrofoam may be very flammable
and thus might be unsafe and violate codes

there may be a better (flame retardant & ok with code) material

You mean like Styrofoam? The Dow brand of Styrofoam® used for insulation
is always flame retardant. Styrofoam is a registered trademark for their
brand of extruded polystyrene foam

The packaging material may or may not be as there is no requirement to be
flame retardant. That material is properly called expanded polystyrene.
Material used for food contact is NOT flame retardant, but anything used for
construction, insulation of an appliance MUST be modified. It is treated
with bromides that will stop the burning if the source of ignition is
removed.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

..

Edwin Pawlowski

"effi" wrote in message
will exposed styrofoam in a use like the op mentioned pass code?

I don't think there are codes for bird feeders.

effi

"effi" wrote in message
will exposed styrofoam in a use like the op mentioned pass code?

I don't think there are codes for bird feeders.

har har, then again, some municipality somewhere may have such an
ordinance...like the "you can't beat your uncle dad's chicken's eggs after
10 p.m." in podunk

the issue is the safety of exposed styrofoam in a residence, which may be
addressed by building codes

i don't recall seeing any exposed styrofoam (or any kind of foam for that
matter) in new residential building lately...

Andy Asberry

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 15:29:26 -0500, "Bonnie Jean"
wrote:

Another question for all of you,

I have one of those birdfeeders that goes into a window like an air
conditioner. I haven't used it in years but would like to. I need to put
something on both sides since it doesn't reach the edges of my window. I was
thinking of using Styrofoam boards that I've gotten from packaging. It would
be easy for me to cut into the proper size. I would then paint it to blend
with the wall.

But is the wind and cold going to come right through it? Should I just set
it up in the warmer months to avoid a draft in my bedroom?

Thanks Again,
Bonnie

PS- This is on a different side of the house from those rascal squirrels.

Give it a good coat of latex paint for UV protection.