Matt

Default Gas line Question

So I guess they are upgrading the gas service outside our building here.
They claim they are upgrading it from 1/2 a pound or a pound to 50
pounds per square inch. They are saying they need to put a regulator
INSIDE our building to step the 50 pounds per square inch down to 1/2 a
pound per square inch.

My question is.. is this even safe? TO run 50 pounds per square inch
into 1/2 a pound per square inch device? With the regulator inside the
building??
Roger Shoaf

"Matt" wrote in message
So I guess they are upgrading the gas service outside our building here.
They claim they are upgrading it from 1/2 a pound or a pound to 50
pounds per square inch. They are saying they need to put a regulator
INSIDE our building to step the 50 pounds per square inch down to 1/2 a
pound per square inch.

My question is.. is this even safe? TO run 50 pounds per square inch
into 1/2 a pound per square inch device? With the regulator inside the
building??

Sure it is. 50 PSI is still a fairly low pressure, and if the pipe
couldn't handle it the gas company sure wouldn't be doing it.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Matt" wrote in message They are saying they
need to put a regulator
INSIDE our building to step the 50 pounds per square inch down to 1/2 a
pound per square inch.

My question is.. is this even safe? TO run 50 pounds per square inch into
1/2 a pound per square inch device? With the regulator inside the
building??

Sure, 50 psi is really low for piping. Your water lines may carry up to 100
psi, the air line at the gas station is probably 110 to 130 psi. My entire
plant is piped with 110 psi steam that drops to 50 at a regulator, then to
25 at the machines.

When we put in a new boiler, the gas company had to upgrade the gas lines
for more volume and higher pressure. You should be there when they weld on
the lines. I moved away for that treat.

Joseph Meehan

Matt wrote:
So I guess they are upgrading the gas service outside our building
here. They claim they are upgrading it from 1/2 a pound or a pound
to 50 pounds per square inch. They are saying they need to put a
regulator INSIDE our building to step the 50 pounds per square inch
down to 1/2 a pound per square inch.

My question is.. is this even safe? TO run 50 pounds per square inch
into 1/2 a pound per square inch device? With the regulator inside
the building??

Sure it is safe, for the pipes, but it is NOT safe for your appliances
that may not be designed to handle that. That is the reason they are
telling you to add the regulator.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Red Neckerson

"Matt" wrote

So I guess they are upgrading the gas service outside our building here.
They claim they are upgrading it from 1/2 a pound or a pound to 50 pounds
per square inch. They are saying they need to put a regulator INSIDE our
building to step the 50 pounds per square inch down to 1/2 a pound per
square inch.

My question is.. is this even safe? TO run 50 pounds per square inch into
1/2 a pound per square inch device?

Oh.......my......GAWD!!!!!!!!

50 pounds!!????!!

10 times that and you could have the explosive power of a child's
near-deflated BALLOON!!!!

SQLit

"Matt" wrote in message
So I guess they are upgrading the gas service outside our building here.
They claim they are upgrading it from 1/2 a pound or a pound to 50
pounds per square inch. They are saying they need to put a regulator
INSIDE our building to step the 50 pounds per square inch down to 1/2 a
pound per square inch.

My question is.. is this even safe? TO run 50 pounds per square inch
into 1/2 a pound per square inch device? With the regulator inside the
building??

The primary side of the gas meters here in Arizona are measured in pounds
the secondary side is measured in ounces for residences.

You need to call and clarify with them on this.
FYI they get to put it almost anywhere they decide. They are the utility

John Hines

Matt wrote:

My question is.. is this even safe? TO run 50 pounds per square inch
into 1/2 a pound per square inch device? With the regulator inside the
building??

Yes. Usually they will put them outside, as it is easier to meter read
and repair, but they can go inside. The regulator drops the pressure
back down for the inside piping, so it works just like it always has.

The regulator is a simple mechanical device, they are very reliable.
Stormin Mormon

And there should be a pressure safety valve and a dump pipe. In the
Rochester NY area, th ere are safety valves on every home, and a dump pipe
in case the system is over pressurized.

Back in the 50's we had a system over pressurized, and hurt a lot of people.

--

Christopher A. Young
This space intentionally left blank