Rob

Default Do I need a new furnace?

Our main living area (kitchen + family room=250sqft) is heated by a 1500w
baseboard heater which costs 7.5 cents/hr to run full bore. This area is
heated probably 12 hours/day. The living/dining room is heated maybe once
per week for 4-5hours by another 1500 watt heater. Bedrooms and rec rooms
another total of 10 hours/day. So, I add all this up and get about $2/day in
the dead of winter which last about 3 months here. Grand total about $200.
My neighbours are paying $1200-1500/yr to heat there entire 2500+sqft homes
with gas. Gas prices are approximately $11/GJ or $1/therm and elec is
5cents/KWH. Average winter temps are 40+F.

Now everyone is telling me to get a high efficiency furnace to save money.

Hmmm?

Oh, yes, I do sometimes turn on the furnace for the handful of days it drops
below freezing which might cost $100/yr.

Joseph Meehan

Rob wrote:
[...]

Right now you are spot heating and that is saving you money. It is
easier to do that with electric than central gas. I prefer to heat my whole
house so I pay more. I also save more with gas compared to electric where I
live. It sounds like you would not.

I don't recall the factors used to compare gas to electric so I can not
comment on that issue.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

m Ransley

05kwh is cheap are you sure that is total cost with taxes etc figured
in. .05c kwh is near the cost of Ng. I pay .125c kwh in the midwest.
At that price and your minimal run time you may not get a good payback.

If you live in an area that doesn't use much natural gas for
generation, like we do in Maryland, then electricity is actually
cheaper than in most places. Last time I checked BGE was over 80%
total combined nuclear and coal. Something like 8% was generated from
natural gas and maybe 2% from oil (and I bet that is mostly waste oil
from oil changes, etc.).

TURTLE

wrote in message
oups.com...
If you live in an area that doesn't use much natural gas for
generation, like we do in Maryland, then electricity is actually
cheaper than in most places. Last time I checked BGE was over 80%
total combined nuclear and coal. Something like 8% was generated from
natural gas and maybe 2% from oil (and I bet that is mostly waste oil
from oil changes, etc.).

This is Turtle.

Natural gas has went up to a point where Louisiana [ One of the Biggest Natural
gas producer states ] is going to Coal fired Electric Generator. With Coal fire
generators they can produce it and sell it for $.08 a KWH and Natural gas fire
generators it sells for $.10 a KWH . They just built a Coal fired Generator
plant in my area about a year ago and started selling the Electricity now for
$.08 a KWH and was $.10 a KWH. On top of this the also pay to bring in the Coal
from other states to burn. Now it can be switched to Natural gas by just a flip
of a switch if the coal trains or the pipe line slug coal mix pumped through the
pipe line get held up for some reason. They pump coal through a pipe line now
days.

All you fellows in Coal producing state might hold on to the Coal for it maybe
going back to coal power for electricity producers for you can send coal through
a pipe line just like oil or natural gas.

TURTLE

m Ransley

Rebubba , are you on drugs ! Are you realy that stupid? Post some facts
if you disagree or are you just a REtard, I think Tard

m Ransley

As usual REtardRebuba says nothing. Your loosing it buba. Did you run
out of your meds

Bubba

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 22:58:31 -0600, (m Ransley)
wrote:

As usual REtardRebuba says nothing. Your loosing it buba. Did you run
out of your meds

Just more **** oozing out of your head, Mr Webtv boy? Here, I found a
product for you:
http://www.consumptionjunction.com/c...3&page=1&fav=0
Go buy yourself a case of it. Use it ALL. Then you can come back here
and join the "normal" people. Until then, stay in "fairyland" where
you belong.
Bubba
Tekkie

Bubba posted for all of us....

sense to pour **** out of your own boots. Wipe your chin. You look
disgusting!

Sorta like a glazed donut.
--
Tekkie
Tekkie

Bubba posted for all of us....

Just more **** oozing out of your head, Mr Webtv boy? Here, I found a
product for you:
http://www.consumptionjunction.com/c...3&page=1&fav=0
Go buy yourself a case of it. Use it ALL. Then you can come back here
and join the "normal" people. Until then, stay in "fairyland" where
you belong.

He has the whitest teeth we've ever cum upon.
--
Tekkie