Rob

Default Do I need a new furnace?

Our main living area (kitchen + family room=250sqft) is heated by a 1500w
baseboard heater which costs 7.5 cents/hr to run full bore. This area is
heated probably 12 hours/day. The living/dining room is heated maybe once
per week for 4-5hours by another 1500 watt heater. Bedrooms and rec rooms
another total of 10 hours/day. So, I add all this up and get about $2/day in
the dead of winter which last about 3 months here. Grand total about $200.
My neighbours are paying $1200-1500/yr to heat there entire 2500+sqft homes
with gas. Gas prices are approximately $11/GJ or $1/therm and elec is
5cents/KWH. Average winter temps are 40+F.

Now everyone is telling me to get a high efficiency furnace to save money.

Hmmm?

Oh, yes, I do sometimes turn on the furnace for the handful of days it drops
below freezing which might cost $100/yr.