Joseph Meehan

Rob wrote:
Our main living area (kitchen + family room=250sqft) is heated by a
1500w baseboard heater which costs 7.5 cents/hr to run full bore.
This area is heated probably 12 hours/day. The living/dining room is
heated maybe once per week for 4-5hours by another 1500 watt heater.
Bedrooms and rec rooms another total of 10 hours/day. So, I add all
this up and get about $2/day in the dead of winter which last about 3
months here. Grand total about $200. My neighbours are paying
$1200-1500/yr to heat there entire 2500+sqft homes with gas. Gas
prices are approximately $11/GJ or $1/therm and elec is 5cents/KWH.
Average winter temps are 40+F.
Now everyone is telling me to get a high efficiency furnace to save
money.
Hmmm?

Oh, yes, I do sometimes turn on the furnace for the handful of days
it drops below freezing which might cost $100/yr.

Right now you are spot heating and that is saving you money. It is
easier to do that with electric than central gas. I prefer to heat my whole
house so I pay more. I also save more with gas compared to electric where I
live. It sounds like you would not.

I don't recall the factors used to compare gas to electric so I can not
comment on that issue.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math