Earl

Default Ice Maker Won't Dump Ice

Monday December 20, 2004

I have a Norge refrigerator. I love the automatic ice maker. It
fills with water. Freezes. Then the ice tray turns over and there is
a great clunk. I assume this is too shake the ice free.

My problem is that frequently now the ice does not fall free.

Are there any tricks to getting the ice cubes to release.

Surrey, British Columbia
Joe Bobst

Are there any tricks to getting the ice cubes to release.

Try spraying the tray with some Pam. Silicone spray might also work. HTH

Joe

Noozer

"Earl" wrote in message
om...
Monday December 20, 2004

I have a Norge refrigerator. I love the automatic ice maker. It
fills with water. Freezes. Then the ice tray turns over and there is
a great clunk. I assume this is too shake the ice free.

My problem is that frequently now the ice does not fall free.

Are there any tricks to getting the ice cubes to release.

Icemaker in my GE fridge actually has a warmer built in. Not sure how you'd
check it but might give you an idea of where to look.

Appliance Repair Aid

Earl wrote:
Monday December 20, 2004

I have a Norge refrigerator. I love the automatic ice maker. It
fills with water. Freezes. Then the ice tray turns over and there

is
a great clunk. I assume this is too shake the ice free.

My problem is that frequently now the ice does not fall free.

Are there any tricks to getting the ice cubes to release.

Surrey, British Columbia

Hi,

Replace the plastic tray. The tray often gets a chemical build up on
the bottom ( this feels like rough sand paper ) and the cubes stick
inside and will not dump out.

http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink...Bf+adflex.html
One common style of this tray. ( since no model# was posted )

Usually is a clip on the end, once the clip is off the cube tray will
pull off.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Greg

My sister had a monkey ward fridge which was probably Norge. The tray gets
twisted to release the cubes, then snaps when it comes off the stop that twists
it.
Jeff is right, a new tray will make it work for a while. They were buying them
a few at a time before they canned the fridge.

Greg

BTW these are real sensitive to fill level. If it is too low the ice doesn't
get twisted enough to break loose.
TURTLE

"Earl" wrote in message
om...
Monday December 20, 2004

I have a Norge refrigerator. I love the automatic ice maker. It
fills with water. Freezes. Then the ice tray turns over and there is
a great clunk. I assume this is too shake the ice free.

My problem is that frequently now the ice does not fall free.

Are there any tricks to getting the ice cubes to release.

Surrey, British Columbia

This is turtle

Jeff nailed it and just these few words left to say. Till you replace the
plastic tray pull it out and soak it in vinegar for about 30 minutes. Also rub
it good with your finger with the vinegar in it. Then replace it and sometime
you can get another week or two before it starts it again. You can fine the
replacement trays just about everywhere and even at
http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp?RccPartID=3040 and it's about $18.00 or
so.

Now pan will work but I think it gives a taste to the cubes.

TURTLE

JerryMouse

Earl wrote:
Monday December 20, 2004

I have a Norge refrigerator. I love the automatic ice maker. It
fills with water. Freezes. Then the ice tray turns over and there is
a great clunk. I assume this is too shake the ice free.

My problem is that frequently now the ice does not fall free.

Are there any tricks to getting the ice cubes to release.

Surrey, British Columbia

The ice maker has a heater that should come on some seconds before the dump.
It's like a windshield defroster.

No heating, no slight melting, no dump.

TURTLE

"JerryMouse" wrote in message
Earl wrote:
Monday December 20, 2004

I have a Norge refrigerator. I love the automatic ice maker. It
fills with water. Freezes. Then the ice tray turns over and there is
a great clunk. I assume this is too shake the ice free.

My problem is that frequently now the ice does not fall free.

Are there any tricks to getting the ice cubes to release.

Surrey, British Columbia

The ice maker has a heater that should come on some seconds before the dump.
It's like a windshield defroster.

No heating, no slight melting, no dump.

This is Turtle.

The ice maker he has is a Dole flip tray and has no heaters but just a ice cube
tray that rotates and dumps the ice out.

TURTLE

Wednesday December 22, 2004

Thank you for passing along the good tips. You are right about the
"twisting tray" - that is the way it works.

I am definitely going to use the idea about cleaning the tray. I think
the vinegar suggestion it a good one. When I clean it I will use
vinegar.

Thanks again fellows. I will be back in ice again.

TURTLE

wrote in message
ups.com...
Wednesday December 22, 2004

Thank you for passing along the good tips. You are right about the
"twisting tray" - that is the way it works.

I am definitely going to use the idea about cleaning the tray. I think
the vinegar suggestion it a good one. When I clean it I will use
vinegar.

Thanks again fellows. I will be back in ice again.

This is Turtle.

The plastic tray when used over the years gets scratches in the cups and the
scratches fill up with Calcium or sediment deposits which the scratches almost
cover the cup and when the water freezes in the cup. the ice will attach it'self
to the deposits and will not let go. It will let go of plastic but not the
deposits. The vinegar will desolve the deposits to let the ice attach to the
plastic and not the deposits. Now to clean the cups you can use any water
deposit type clearer will work fine but I've seen vinegar seems to work best.

TURTLE