bobc

Default Oven alarm: Clock on the fritz?

This morning, as I headed toward the kitchen to have breakfast, I noted that
my 10-year-old infrequently-used General Electric "XL44" gas range was
making an "alarm" sound near the clock area that was NOT the distinct alarm
of the Minute Timer, which I can turn on and off at will (and which I
believe is the only alarm the range has). This alarm sound would go from
barely audible for a few moments to a true "alarm" that could be heard from
the basement and then back to a dull roar. As I pressed the two other
"timer" knobs next to the clock (the Minute Timer is set in the oven clock),
the noise slightly changed in tone but did not stop.

The only way I've been able to stop the noise is to turn off the
"appliances" switch in the circuit box out in my garage. However, that
switch also controls the power to my refrigerator, and the electrical
outlets of both the frig and the range are not the easiest to reach.

As I let the noise run for a while, I noticed that the clock was not keeping
the correct time. Do oven clocks act like this when their "time" is up? Any
suggestions?

-- bobc

Abe

This morning, as I headed toward the kitchen to have breakfast, I noted that
my 10-year-old infrequently-used General Electric "XL44" gas range was
making an "alarm" sound near the clock area that was NOT the distinct alarm
of the Minute Timer, which I can turn on and off at will (and which I
believe is the only alarm the range has). This alarm sound would go from
barely audible for a few moments to a true "alarm" that could be heard from
the basement and then back to a dull roar. As I pressed the two other
"timer" knobs next to the clock (the Minute Timer is set in the oven clock),
the noise slightly changed in tone but did not stop.
As I let the noise run for a while, I noticed that the clock was not keeping
the correct time. Do oven clocks act like this when their "time" is up? Any
suggestions?

-------------
Is this an analog clock? If it is, it sure sounds like it's time to
replace the clock unit.

BTW, the model # you provided doesn't match anything in the parts
databases I looked at. What's the full model # from the tag?

Bob

bobc wrote:
This morning, as I headed toward the kitchen to have breakfast, I noted that
my 10-year-old infrequently-used General Electric "XL44" gas range was
making an "alarm" sound near the clock area that was NOT the distinct alarm
of the Minute Timer, which I can turn on and off at will (and which I
believe is the only alarm the range has). This alarm sound would go from
barely audible for a few moments to a true "alarm" that could be heard from
the basement and then back to a dull roar....

Chances are the noise you hear is coming from the transformer that
supplies the burner ignitors. Try reaching into the oven vents at the
bottom of the backsplash to see if you can silence it.
bobc

Abe: The model number is JGBP24GEN6WH. The range came with my new home in
1994.

Bob: Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it when I get home.

-- bobc

"Abe" wrote in message
[...]

Chuck

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 12:49:06 -0800, Abe wrote:

[...]

How about a clock for different stove, different person?
I have an electric stove ,, all works fine but the clock.
Haven't pulled it apart yet to see that it's getting power.
What's the ballpark price for a replacement clock?
White westinghouse KD532ADD3
Hard to find? New glass over clock face would be nice as well..
Thanks
Chuck