Walter R.

Default Code Violation?

Hi

I live in California. Some time a go I replaced a 20 A GF Breaker in my main
entrance Panel (200 A). I connected the black and white wires from the house
to the correct terminals on the breaker. However, I connected the curly
white pigtail on the GF breaker to the other white wire (neutral?) going to
the house, with a wire nut.

Later on I read somewhere that the NEC prohibits wire nuts in main panels.
Is this
correct? Would a crimp connection (instead of a wire nut) between the white
wire and the pigtail be legal? When I press the test button, the breaker
disconnects properly.

I don't want to be called on this when I sell my house.

Thanks for any input

--
Walter

zxcvbob

Walter R. wrote:
Hi

I live in California. Some time a go I replaced a 20 A GF Breaker in my main
entrance Panel (200 A). I connected the black and white wires from the house
to the correct terminals on the breaker. However, I connected the curly
white pigtail on the GF breaker to the other white wire (neutral?) going to
the house, with a wire nut.

Later on I read somewhere that the NEC prohibits wire nuts in main panels.
Is this
correct? Would a crimp connection (instead of a wire nut) between the white
wire and the pigtail be legal? When I press the test button, the breaker
disconnects properly.

I don't want to be called on this when I sell my house.

Thanks for any input

The key phrase is here is "I read somewhere". There's nothing
specifically wrong or prohibited about having wirenuts (or any other
type of splices, for that matter) in a panel. If you have too many
splices, I guess you could exceed the maximum wire fill, but not by
splicing a few small wires.

But if you have to splice wires in the panel, you need to take a long
hard look at what you are doing because it is unusual. IMHO, it
indicates that you *might* be doing something wrong. (In your case I
think you are wiring the breaker wrong.)

Best regards,
Bob

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 21:11:17 GMT, "Walter R."
wrote:

Hi

I live in California. Some time a go I replaced a 20 A GF Breaker in my main
entrance Panel (200 A). I connected the black and white wires from the house
to the correct terminals on the breaker. However, I connected the curly
white pigtail on the GF breaker to the other white wire (neutral?) going to
the house, with a wire nut.

Later on I read somewhere that the NEC prohibits wire nuts in main panels.
Is this
correct? Would a crimp connection (instead of a wire nut) between the white
wire and the pigtail be legal? When I press the test button, the breaker
disconnects properly.

I don't want to be called on this when I sell my house.

Thanks for any input

First thing, California is like it's own country with codes and regs,
so meeting the NEC requirements doesn't make you met Cal's codes.

Second, when it comes to working with the codes, if you aren't
positive you did it right, then most likely you did something wrong.
Even if the only wrong thing was you did not know the code to start.

Seek professional advice.

hth

tom @ www.URLBee.com

Richard B. \(Bruce\) Leiby

"Walter R." wrote in message
However, I connected the curly
white pigtail on the GF breaker to the other white wire (neutral?) going
the house, with a wire nut.
Thanks for any input

--
Walter

Your mistake is evident (to a pro) with the aforementioned statement!!!!!
The "curly pigtail on the GFCI circuit breaker" should be terminated on the
neutral bar of the circuit breaker panel where you have "originated" the
branch circuit at!! The hot wire (black) AND the neutral wire (white) that
are in your home run romex (conduit, MC cable or whatever) that leaves the
panel, are BOTH to be terminated on their individual terminals on the GFCI
circuit breaker, itself. If you look at the product literature that comes
with every GFCI circuit breaker OR GFCI receptacle, it will become clear as
you read thru it and look at the illustrations.

Bruce

Tekkie

posted for all of us....

Two neutrals can fit under one
screw, but not two hots. So, a wirenut solved that.

Depends on the listing of the breaker.
--
Tekkie