Walter R.

Default Electrical Code Violation?

My electric meter and the breaker panels are located on the outside wall
near the entrance of my house. It looks like hell.

I thought of using a louvered wood shutter enclosure, with a hole for the
meter to peek through, to hide the panels for electricity, telephone, cable
etc.. The louvre shutter would be hinged on one side and would have a
magnetic catch on the other side. Therefore, there would be easy access to
all utility panels.

Is this a problem with the Electrical Code??

Thanks for your help.
--

Walter
The Happy Iconoclast www.rationality.net

Bob K 207

I thought of using a louvered wood shutter enclosure, with a hole for the
meter to peek through

that's exactly how the utility panel (CATV, phone & electrical) was "hidden" at
a condo I used to own..................
Greg

If you hinge the whole assembly so it swings out of the way I can't think of a
problem. The question of working space only requires that there is free access
above and below the panel, from grade to 6' 8" high, 30" wide and 36" deep. If
you had a box with a door it can be argued that the box encroaches above and
below (still a thin beef) but if the whole box swings away you are OK.
Just be sure the meter reader can see the meter and the seal to avoid that
hassle.
Pop

Only your local code enforcement officer could answer that for
sure. Call and ask.

Pop

"Bob K 207" wrote in message
| I thought of using a louvered wood shutter enclosure, with a
hole for the
| meter to peek through
|
| that's exactly how the utility panel (CATV, phone & electrical)
was "hidden" at
| a condo I used to own..................

Greg

Only your local code enforcement officer could answer that for
sure. Call and ask.

Actually the meter reader is probably the only one you need to ask. That is the
person who will care and if you don't make their job harder they won't