Michael Baugh

Default polybutylene hydronic tubing

U.S. version is at
http://www.kinsella.com/polybutylene/propset.shtml
and Canadian action is a variant on it
http://www.canadalawbook.ca/OAPCaseS...CWSJ3d690.html
If I were using it as part of a hot water recirculation system, I'd have
some concerns. Even if it weren't delivering water of 180 degrees.
http://www.grassroots.ca/homeowner_h..._pipes_v2.html

Don Lee wrote in message
My 14 yo house has polybutylene tubings running in the floor for hydronic
heating. So far, there has not been any leaks attributed to them, and the
boiler is original. Any concerns? What is the outcome of the class

action
re. polybuts in Canada?

--

remove 'nospam' for correct email address

Don Lee

Seems like the Canadian action only covers for replacement and leaks from
the acetal joints which apparantly are rare. There is really not much I can
do about the infloor tubings since the only way to replace them would be
jack hammering the whole house !! Oxygen permeability seems to be the
biggest concern. Again, not much I can do about that until the boiler
leaks. I wonder if oxygen scavengers/rust inhibitors would help.

Don Lee wrote in message
My 14 yo house has polybutylene tubings running in the floor for

hydronic
heating. So far, there has not been any leaks attributed to them, and

the
boiler is original. Any concerns? What is the outcome of the class

action
re. polybuts in Canada?

--

remove 'nospam' for correct email address

Michael Baugh

I believe that chlorinated water speeded the degradation, and you're not
using it in that piping. Could it be that the newer couplers were used in
your installation, and that you don't need to be awaiting a failure?
http://www.polypipe.com/polypipe/pp_...lumb/price.pdf
Also, may be that yours weren't made with resins produced by Mitsui
Plastrics, which product is being called Type M.

Don Lee wrote in message
My 14 yo house has polybutylene tubings running in the floor for

hydronic
heating. So far, there has not been any leaks attributed to them, and

the
boiler is original. Any concerns? What is the outcome of the class

action
re. polybuts in Canada?

--

remove 'nospam' for correct email address

Ed Clarke

In article akXpd.358129$nl.343990@pd7tw3no, Don Lee wrote:
Seems like the Canadian action only covers for replacement and leaks from
the acetal joints which apparantly are rare. There is really not much I can
do about the infloor tubings since the only way to replace them would be
jack hammering the whole house !! Oxygen permeability seems to be the
biggest concern. Again, not much I can do about that until the boiler
leaks. I wonder if oxygen scavengers/rust inhibitors would help.

This would help mo

http://www.houseneeds.com/shop/Heati...angerindex.htm

You'll need pumps on both sides.
Don Lee

How can one tell if the tubings and the joints are the affected ones? Are
there markings on them?

Also, upon further reading on the settlement, the Canadian action was only
settled in the province of Ontario. Does anyone know if the other provinces
settled, especially in British Columbia?

--

remove 'nospam' for correct email address
.. .

Don Lee wrote in message
My 14 yo house has polybutylene tubings running in the floor for

hydronic
heating. So far, there has not been any leaks attributed to them,

and
the
boiler is original. Any concerns? What is the outcome of the class
action
re. polybuts in Canada?

--

remove 'nospam' for correct email address

Michael Baugh

Problem is the coils in the floor ARE the heat exchange
surfaces.

Don Lee wrote in message
If adding a heat exchanger can solve the rusting problem, are there

boilers
already with a stainless steel heat exchanger built-in to save space?

Also,
by using a heat exchanger, then all those by-pass loops and mixing valve

can
be excluded, correct?

--

"Ed Clarke" wrote in message
In article akXpd.358129$nl.343990@pd7tw3no, Don Lee wrote:
Seems like the Canadian action only covers for replacement and leaks

from
the acetal joints which apparantly are rare. There is really not much

can
do about the infloor tubings since the only way to replace them would

be
jack hammering the whole house !! Oxygen permeability seems to be the
biggest concern. Again, not much I can do about that until the boiler
leaks. I wonder if oxygen scavengers/rust inhibitors would help.

This would help mo

http://www.houseneeds.com/shop/Heati.../heatexchanger
s/heatexchangerindex.htm

You'll need pumps on both sides.

Don Lee

From what I understand, the exchanger will isolate the water from the
boiler. The water from the boiler pumps through the exchanger, and the
water from the floor pipes also pumps through the exchanger, but only heat
exchanges between them inside the exchanger. That way, the boiler will not
rust out.